what region will have 4 guys at state next year

wrestler

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next year there are 10 regions. There will only be a 32 man bracket. Having said that only 2 regions will send their 4th placers in the region to the state tournament, Region 2 due to its large size and the region that earns the most medals in the previous year's state tournament. According to the medals count from this year's tournament the new Region 6 will qualify 1st - 4th placers, Region 2 automatically qualifies 1st - 4th while Regions 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 will only qualify the 1st - 3rd placers for the state. Those consolation finals matches at 8 regionals will be a whole lot of fun to watch and much more intense than ever before.

:P Coach D you are mighty right about the intensity of the matches for next year in those 8 regions. Everyone will be turning up the heat to jump on that 3rd place finish. Should be great matches, with all the stops pulled out.!.!.! thumb Edited by 911

Next year there are 10 regions.  There will only be a 32 man bracket.  Having said that only 2 regions will send their 4th placers in the region to the state tournament, Region 2 due to its large size and the region that earns the most medals in the previous year's state tournament.  According to the medals count from this year's tournament the new Region 6 will qualify 1st - 4th placers, Region 2 automatically qualifies 1st - 4th while Regions 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 will only qualify the 1st - 3rd placers for the state.  Those consolation finals matches at 8 regionals will be a whole lot of fun to watch and much more intense than ever before.

825575719[/snapback]

Hold the phone Coach Delgado. This quote appeared in an article by Ward Gossett in the Chattanooga Times Free Press this morning.

" Notre Dame may be welcomed to the region with open arms after TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter’s comments on Saturday.

The state is upping its wrestling regions to 10 from eight and the realignment could leave Region 4 with three rather than four qualifiers per weight class for 2006. The only region with four automatic qualifiers would be Knoxville because its region is so much larger than the others in the alignment.

The TSSAA’s proposal for the remaining 14 qualifying spots is to award them to the region with the highest medal total from the preceding year.

Carter said this weekend that Notre Dame’s medals earned in Division II would count toward Region 4’s total. If that ruling stands, Region 4 would continue to have four qualifiers per weight class. "

Up until now, all the posts I have read assumed that ND's medals won in D-II would not count because of the difference in how you get to state and the easier track (maybe not in quality, but certainly in number of matches you have to wrestle-----for example there were only 10 wrestlers in the 189 class where ND had the champion) to medal in D-II. It seems to me that this is hugely unfair to new Region 6, in particular and D-I in general. I think everyone would agree that it is harder to medal in D-I than it is in D-II---------maybe not to win a championship, but just to medal, no question. So new Region 6 is getting the shaft on this one and D-I a slap in the face.. If the D-II medals are going to count in D-I, then it seems to me that the TSSAA's rationale for splitting into D-I and D-II in the first place collapses. If D-I medals are going to count for a region in their D-I medal count when a team switches over from D-I to D-II, then the split that the TSSAA maintains is a sham and we ought to put everybody back together again. You D-I coaches better check in to this with Mr. Carter before and the cow gets out of the barn and it is too late to do anything about it.

Buck,

I agree. Here's the breakdown wth Notre Dame's and Knox Catholic's medals added.

Region 4 - 4 plus ND's 7 = 11

Region 6 - 9

Region 2 - 7 plus KC's 1 = 8

Region 3 - 8

Region 10 - 8

Region 1 - 4

Region 8 - 3

Region 9 - 3

Region 5 - 1

Region 7 - 0

Don't forget that ND will have 7 seeded wrestlers and KC will have 1 in the Traditional Tournament as well.

It is interesting to note that Notre Dame had more wrestlers medal in the DII state than they did at the Bradley Invitational. I certainly am not trying to take anything away from ND and their accomplishments. They have wonderful kids, boosters and coaches. However, to say the tournaments are equal (which is what the TSSAA is saying) is a stretch by any measurement.

Factoid--- This year's tournament had 31 seeded wrestlers. Next year there will be 55 including Notre Dame and Knox Catholic AND assuming all make it back.

Has anybody heard a definite answer as to who will get 4 qualifiers next year ?

825577844[/snapback]

If Mr. Carter made the statement attributed to him in the Times Free Press article in the post above, then that is probably the most "definite" answer to date. After all, it is his party.

Does anybody really know if the decision has actually been made yet or will there be a meeting at some future date at which this issue will be discussed?

I hope the comments attributed to Mr. Carter are wrong.

If not, what a load of... you know what !!!

The new Region 6 gets hosed big time -again. The new region 6 has added stronger teams to the mix and reduced the number of qualifiers for state. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

How about combining regions 6 and 7 for state qualification and have the top 6 wrestlers in each weight qualify ??

Tell me it isn't so, Ronnie .

Aspen, there were a couple of ideas discussed among the coaches at the State Tournament.

Here are some of the ideas that were shared with me by coaches/fans:

1. to expand the State event to a 64 man bracket and bring the top 4 from each region to the state event.

2. put Seymour, Sevier County, Pigeon Forge in Region I. Combine Regions 3 and 4. Combine Regions 6 and 7. This would create 8 regions and would also, lighten Region II.

3. keep the regions as they are now, but make the following changes: Move Seymour, Sevier County, and Pigeon Forge to Region I. Move, Alcoa, Greenback, Heritage, William Blount, and Maryville to Region III.

Region II is looking into having District Tournaments in the near future, I believe 2007 will be the first year, unless things change soon.

Next year our Region will be as follows:

Sevier County, Pigeon Forge, Seymour, Heritage, William Blount, Greenback, Maryville, Alcoa, Kingston, Union County, South Doyle, Farragut, Bearden, Knox West, Fulton, Central, Gibbs, Powell, Halls, Karns, Catholic, Grace Academy, Carter, and CAK.

The District idea: top 6 kids from each District will advance to the Regional Tournament, with the Top 4 placers advancing to State. I really like the idea for several reasons:

1. another championship a kid has an opportunity to win.

2. doesn't count as another date.

3. the current size of our Region, limits who can host that Tournament. Almost all the schools in our Region have the space to host a District or Region.

4. Region Tournament can now be run in one day.

5. We need to see that type of Tournament Intensity, prior to the Regional and State.

Drawbacks mentioned:

1. the event would take place the weekend before the State Duals and would the kids still be interested in wrestling in the duals, even though their individual season is over.

2. Could eliminate about 2 weeks of practice time with thse guys who don't qualify for the Region.

(now I think both of the above mentioned "drawbacks" can only be viewed as "drawbacks" if the coach does not handle it the right way.)