Refs at State in 2006

mhg1287

Let's get off the officials and move on, I don't think this serves any type of purpose.

Why don't you who started this thread take the test and step on to the mat as an official.

Complaining about officiating is as old as dirt and nothing comes from it except mudslinging.

So move on.

Let's get off the officials and move on, I don't think this serves any type of purpose.

Why don't you who started this thread take the test and step on to the mat as an official. 

Complaining about officiating is as old as dirt and nothing comes from it except mudslinging.

So move on.

825577074[/snapback]

Refs need to be held accountable and recognize mistakes that they made becuase, as the system is now, their mistakes have no consequences except to the wrestlers that they screwed for whatever reason.

Refs need to be held accountable and recognize mistakes that they made becuase, as the system is now, their mistakes have no consequences except to the wrestlers that they screwed for whatever reason.

825577263[/snapback]

I agree that there needs to be a system that allows coaches and officials to rate the officials that call the state tournament series. I was a head coach in Indiana for several years and we evaluated the officials prior to the state tournament series. The officials also evaluated their peers. This eliminated several inexperienced officials and encouraged them to get more mat time. This also eliminated some of the old timers who were not proving themselves on the mat with their performance.

It does not help to keep lambasting the officials over this however, until the system changes.

I agree that there needs to be a system that allows coaches and officials to rate the officials that call the state tournament series.  I was a head coach in Indiana for several years and we evaluated the officials prior to the state tournament series.  The officials also evaluated their peers.  This eliminated several inexperienced officials and encouraged them  to get more mat time.  This also eliminated some of the old timers who were not proving themselves on the mat with their performance. 

It does not help to keep lambasting the officials over this however, until the system changes.

825577274[/snapback]

How do they do it now?

Oh my gosh....if you're a ref and you're reading this criticism...then oh well. Just like in any other sport, when you put on those stripes, you open yourselves up to taking a verbal beating! That's part of the territory! And don't tell me to walk a mile in your shoes...I have. I've been a referee/official in 3 different sports, and I've learned how to take it. You can too!

All referees that are eligible to ref the regions and state must have passed the closed book exam. For the state, the assigning official for that part of the state recommends some officials for the state tournament. The state refs are selected from this recommendation. Of those 20 or so selected, only 12 or so will work on Saturday. Those that work Saturday are already identified before the tournament begins.

So move on.

825577074[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this Brad. Other don't feel the same way.

Check out what was posted on another thread by RCPatriot:

reftn,

Let me clear something up for you. I have had the stripes on before. No, not in wrestling. But, be sure that just because you take a test, have enough hot air to blow on a whistle, wear a striped shirt, and have watched a few wrestling matches, this in NO way makes you a knowledgable ref or a good ref. Simply stated, too many ref's in wrestling have the attitude that they don't make mistakes, and if they do, what are you going to do about it. Well, this is why we in region 2 voted at the seeding meeting on who, we, the coaches, thought should be awarded the honor of officiating the region tournament. One particular official wasn't given ONE vote, and he's officiating at the State Tournament! Guess all of us coaches are just stupid and don't have a clue! Who made the call to honor him with the priviledge of refereeing at the State Tournament?

Edited by CoachDelgado

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this Brad.  Other don't feel the same way.

Check out what was posted on another thread by RCPatriot:

reftn,

Let me clear something up for you. I have had the stripes on before. No, not in wrestling. But, be sure that just because you take a test, have enough hot air to blow on a whistle, wear a striped shirt, and have watched a few wrestling matches, this in NO way makes you a knowledgable ref or a good ref. Simply stated, too many ref's in wrestling have the attitude that they don't make mistakes, and if they do, what are you going to do about it. Well, this is why we in region 2 voted at the seeding meeting on who, we, the coaches, thought should be awarded the honor of officiating the region tournament. One particular official wasn't given ONE vote, and he's officiating at the State Tournament! Guess all of us coaches are just stupid and don't have a clue! Who made the call to honor him with the priviledge of refereeing at the State Tournament?

825578061[/snapback]

This is why we need to look at some of the ways other states select the officials for their state tournament and develop a system here.

I cannot make judgements as to what the officiating was like at the state this year. I have been there in the past as both a coach and a fan. There are some really good officials that do not get chosen to call the state tournament and there are some really good ones who do. However, until we adopt some type of system to evaluate them throughout the season, we will not have the cream of the crop in the referee field at the state. I would say that for the most part, that many of the best officials in Tennessee are calling the tournament. We all have our favorites, but I don't think that any of them set out to intentionally direct the course of the outcome of the match.

As I said in another post, as a head coach in Indiana, we were asked to evaluate the officials that called our matches throughout the season. The officials were asked to evaluate their peers. From this data, officials were selected to call the 4 different levels of the State tournament series. Were we always happy with the calls that were made in our matches, NO. There is always going to be somebody happy and somebody mad about the job the official is doing at different times during the match. That is something that you live withon all levels of wrestling from pee wee to olympic finals. You just have to coach your kids to not allow the official to dictate the outcome of the match, and especially not to get concerned about the job the official is doing during their match.

This post talked about bringing in refs from other states to call the 2006 state tournament, we have enough outstanding officials in this state that this is not necessary.

Edited by fiscon