E.R.A.

Old Blue

To calculate ERA you must take the entire inning into consideration. No runner that scores either by reaching on an error or being driven in by an error is earned. But also, if runs are scored in an inning that was prolonged by an error those runs are not earned either. You almost have to go backward through the inning to figure out earned or unearned runs. If logically the run would have scored regardless of an error it is earned.

I may be wrong but I never thought runs scored after an inning was prolonged was unearned. On this example is this run unearned. Two outs a girls hits a long ball to center field she drops the ball and the girls who hits the ball scores. The inning is prolonged. Next two girls up hits two doubles no errors and the first double scores. Is this run is unearned. I thought it was earned.

I may be wrong but I never thought runs scored after an inning was prolonged was unearned. On this example is this run unearned. Two outs a girls hits a long ball to center field she drops the ball and the girls who hits the ball scores. The inning is prolonged. Next two girls up hits two doubles no errors and the first double scores. Is this run is unearned. I thought it was earned.

825581275[/snapback]

All are unearned if the ball in center was an error. That would have been the third out. Anything after that is unearned no matter how they get on or score

825581275[/snapback]

Any and all runs scored after the defense should have recorded the third out are unearned runs. The reason being that if an inning had not been prolonged because of an error(s), the team at bat would never have had the opportunity to score those runs in the first place.

The guiding question for deciding if a run is earned or not is to reconstruct the inning and ask, "Would the run have scored if an error had not been commited?"

Remember that walks, hit batsmen, wild pitches, and passed balls are NOT considered errors.

P.S. Neither are throws to a base when a runner is stealing if the runner does not advance beyond the base stolen, nor the second part of a doubleplay if the runner does not advance.

Edited by KenHawk

An interesting sidebar to this discussion relates to batters being credited with a hit when they hit into a force out. The proper scoring should be a fielders choice. The rules do not specify where the ball is hit ( i.e. infield or outfield) or how hard the ball is hit. I quote from page 72 of the 2005 NFSHSA rules book:

EXCEPTION: It is NOT (emphasis mine) a base hit if any runner is out on a force play caused by the batter advancing towards first base.