DII Mr. Basketball

itzme

OK, the DII Mr. Basketball winner is a foregone conclusion, but raise your hand if you think Michael Oher is one of the top three DII players in the state. Sorry, but I think the sportswriters forgot what season we were in.

In no way am I trying to put the young man down. He is a tremendous athlete, and I respect his decision to play this year after getting his football future nailed down. I just happen to think that a Dylan Heim or a Joshua Bone might be more deserving.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the third finalist??? Was it Jonathon Adams or Mariun Price of Harding???

Price should definitely be a finalist at 25 ppg on one of the better D-II teams in the State, though I'm not sure if he was a finalist or not...

825587791[/snapback]

Price would be another excellent choice. Same point, however.

OK, the DII Mr. Basketball winner is a foregone conclusion, but raise your hand if you think Michael Oher is one of the top three DII players in the state.  Sorry, but I think the sportswriters forgot what season we were in.

In no way am I trying to put the young man down.  He is a tremendous athlete, and I respect his decision to play this year after getting his football future nailed down.  I just happen to think that a Dylan Heim or a Joshua Bone might be more deserving.

825587634[/snapback]

What criteria are you basing Dylan or Joshua being more deserving?

If the criteria is more ppg, assists, blocked shots, steals or rebounds, there is one kid in DII who averaged more points in less games than both Dylan and Josh with less set 3 pointers, had way more blocks, rebounds, steals and assists. Let's not even talk about academics. I think all of these guys have great character, so how do you pick someone else besides Brandan in Middle TN? If you use the above criteria, then it is individual stats and not team, so it can't be if they are on a winning team. More deserving?!!!

If the criteria is more ppg, assists, blocked shots, steals or rebounds, there is one kid in DII who averaged more points in less games than both Dylan and Josh with less set 3 pointers, had way more blocks, rebounds, steals and assists.  Let's not even talk about academics.  I think all of these guys have great character, so how do you pick someone else besides Brandan in Middle TN? If you use the above criteria, then it is individual stats and not team, so it can't be if they are on a winning team.  More deserving?!!!

825587910[/snapback]

I think Bone and Heim are better than Oher. Price is as well.

I'm not sure what your point is. Clearly Wright belongs on the list, as does Adams. We're talking about the third one. You didn't say whether you thought Oher should be there or not. Do you? If yes...why? If not, then who?

Edited by itzme

I think Bone and Heim are better than Oher.  Price is as well.

I'm not sure what your point is.  Clearly Wright belongs on the list, as does Adams.  We're talking about the third one.  You didn't sat whether you thought Oher should be there or not.  Do you?  If yes...why?  If not, then who?

825587927[/snapback]

The question was what criteria are you basing Dylan and Joshua being more deserving? If it's more deserving than Oher then I can't comment because I have not seen him play.

If the criteria is more ppg, assists, blocked shots, steals or rebounds, as being more deserving than there is the case for Deon Gaines @ MBA. He has averaged more points in less games than both Dylan and Josh with less set 3 pointers, had way more blocks, rebounds, steals and assists. If it's individual stats than I would have to say Gaines of MBA because he is a better all around player than both Dylan and Josh. However, if you are taking into account their team then that's another story.

The question was what criteria are you basing Dylan and Joshua being more deserving?  If it's more deserving than Oher then I can't comment because I have not seen him play.

If the criteria is more ppg, assists, blocked shots, steals or rebounds, as being more deserving than there is the case for Deon Gaines @ MBA.  He has averaged more points in less games than both Dylan and Josh with less set 3 pointers, had way more blocks, rebounds, steals and assists. If it's individual stats than I would have to say Gaines of MBA because he is a better all around player than both Dylan and Josh.  However, if you are taking into account their team then that's another story.

825587937[/snapback]

Gaines would be a reasonable candidate as well, although my choice for the third candidate would be Heim. Tough to have a Mr. Basketball finalist come off such a poor team as MBA. They had very few quality wins, and that has to be somewhat of a factor.

Obviously, the criteria are somewhat subjective.

Edited by itzme

The question was what criteria are you basing Dylan and Joshua being more deserving?  If it's more deserving than Oher then I can't comment because I have not seen him play.

If the criteria is more ppg, assists, blocked shots, steals or rebounds, as being more deserving than there is the case for Deon Gaines @ MBA.  He has averaged more points in less games than both Dylan and Josh with less set 3 pointers, had way more blocks, rebounds, steals and assists. If it's individual stats than I would have to say Gaines of MBA because he is a better all around player than both Dylan and Josh.  However, if you are taking into account their team then that's another story.

825587937[/snapback]

Deon Gaines is a very good player. I have had the opportunity to watch him

play against both DII and AAU competition. However, you have to view his stats

in light of his circumstances. He scores more points because he must carry the

entire scoring load. MBA has very little offensive capabilities other than Deon.

Josh Bone is averaging close to 15 points per game on a very good team with

multiple offensive threats. Deon is going to get many more opportunities out

of necessity. Josh does a number of things very well. He has demonstrated

an ability to handle the basketball against the press, run the offense from the

point guard position, take the ball to the basket, rebound and score from

three. He may not be in the top three but he is darn close.

Gaines would be a reasonable candidate as well, although my choice for the third candidate would be Heim. Tough to have a Mr. Basketball finalist come off such a poor team as MBA. They had very few quality wins, and that has to be somewhat of a factor.

Obviously, the criteria are somewhat subjective.

825587943[/snapback]

I agree regarding their team. They had very few quality wins, Baylor being the highlight.

So, with that in mind, I agree, it would have to be Dylan.

Edited by bballfan01

Deon Gaines is a very good player.  I have had the opportunity to watch him

play against both DII and AAU competition.  However, you have to view his stats

in light of his circumstances.  He scores more points because he must carry the

entire scoring load.  MBA has very little offensive capabilities other than Deon.

Josh Bone is averaging close to 15 points per game on a very good team with

multiple offensive threats.  Deon is going to get many more opportunities out

of necessity.  Josh does a number of things very well.  He has demonstrated

an ability to handle the basketball against the press, run the offense from the

point guard position, take the ball to the basket, rebound and score from

three.  He may not be in the top three but he is darn close.

825587984[/snapback]

The case could also be made that by Josh playing on a team with someone like Brandan who gets double and triple teamed a lot, that Josh probably gets a lot more opportunities. This is not a comparison post, please don't misunderstand me, Josh is a good player on a very good team. I have seen both play DII and AAU. Gaines played up on a 17 year old team this past summer and contributed significantly against some of the best players in the country. The Midstate Ballerz finished 6th in the nation. Remember, these two really don't play the same position either; Gaines is a true point guard and I believe Josh is a 2 guard.

Gaines may not be in the top three either, but he is pretty close as well.