Who do you think are the best coachs in Tennessee

big al

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on last year's Redmond 11 final results (link: http://www.soccerinfo.com/findhighschooltn04) and consistent histories of advancing to the State Tournament, I think Knoxville's top coaches (in no particular order) are: Eric Turner (Bearden), Wally Culbreath (Farragut), Tom Gerlach (CAK), Peter Rosenblad (Knox Catholic) and Marvin Martin (Lenoir City). I'd expect OJ Sheppard (Oak Ridge) to join that group as well.

I'd have to personally say, Coach Barry Bass, and Craig Thompson from Giles County. They've both got a extremely deep knowledge of the game and how to play it, both having played the sport for quite some time; but as we know the coaches skill to play isn't really that big of a factor. Although their coaching abilities will truely be seen this year. :lol:

I'd have to go with Coach Wallie Culbreth, since he does have back2back state championships. Seems to me as if, that'd be the logical choice.

825614980[/snapback]

I'm going to have to say the best highschool coach, although not a true "varsity" coach, would probably Farragut's Assistant coach or "junior varsity" coach (if he is still there) Derrick Wright is his name I do believe ... he is young, knowledgable, disciplined, and actually knows the game well ... he cares about his players and won't cut slack for anyone ... or at least on a comptetive level, I've played for and with the man outside of Highschool soccer and I think that if he takes over the franchise farragut has built then it will strive to continue to be one of the best programs in state ... nothing like having a HS coach that actually has played the game and can help players develope and improve skills instead of just trying to keep the competitive season polished and waiting for the REAL STATE tourny, if y'all know what I mean

logo.jpg

Just because he has that doesn't mean he is a great coach, I am not saying he isn't, but just because has won doesn't neccasarily mean HE is good. He could just have the best, and deepest talent in the state.

825618227[/snapback]

They had all that talent prior to him taking the position and they couldn't get past the Dogs. :( He only coachs part time, has his own business and kids in college. He took a team that couldn't get by Bearden and made them National Champions! :( Not bad for part time.

I would say for his accomplishments, I would give him BEST COACH!

Tom Gerlach from CAK. He has coached two seasons and has 2 state titles.

825592569[/snapback]

badabing badabam u hit that one right on the money my man!!!! tom gerlach is an excellent coach if you ask me, which u did ask me so tom gerlach is for shure on the best coaches list. i mean who else is goin be takin over a team and go 2 for 2 in his first 2 seasons and who knows, they may get 3, so WACH OUT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i think that being a soccer coach in the tennessee high school system is a tough road. no money, no helicopters on friday, no condos on the beech because the local judge wants his son to play free saftey. Coaches at Clarksville, Hendersonville because they have stuck with it and developed the sport when no one cared. I know that there are the same type of individuals in knoxville, nooga, and memphis. Hats off to those who made it happen.