Oak Ridge vs. Greeneville

HUCK

Burkey helped build the dynasty at OR, now he welcomes them into his house in a sectional game with a state tournament birth on the line. Can you smell the drama.....oops that is just my breathe after a eating a thickburger from Hardee's with extra onion! This is going to be one of the best games of the year. How do you think will win?

Greeneville by 1 on a Lyons 3-pointer at the buzzer! 59-58

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it is definitely no coincidence that Greeneville had never hosted a substate game in the school's history and now in only Lynn Burkey's second year the lady devils will be hosting their second straight substate game. I was at the game last night and it dawned on me that how far Greeneville goes in the tournament does not depend on Lyons. You are going to get her best effort every single night, it became very obvious that the success of this team revolves around Manuel, the devils will go as far as she wants to take them. Late in the game last night Ashley Huff was starting to heat up so Burkey finally decided to put Manuel on her devensively and she shut her down, to me (the average fan) that is what pulled out the game last night. If Manuel gives even 75% the rest of the way the lady devils could set up a date with Mt. Juliet. I am in no way trying to take anything away from Lyons, it is just that you know she will do whatever it takes, it is Manuel that is the X factor.

I guess since Burkey built the Oak Ridge program, then this years teams success, which is not at the talent level of past Oak Ridge teams, has nothing to do with the coaching abilities of Prudden. Probably one of her best coaching jobs just to get them to the final game of the region and win as many games as they did. Its hard to proceed in the tournament with only one outstanding player and every oponent is keying in on that player. Oh well, just a thought. I'm sure I will be told how wrong I am once again. What the hay, who cares.

I guess since Burkey built the Oak Ridge program, then this years teams success, which is not at the talent level of past Oak Ridge teams, has nothing to do with the coaching abilities of Prudden.  Probably one of her best coaching jobs just to get them to the final game of the region and win as many games as they did.  Its hard to proceed in the tournament with only one outstanding player and every oponent is keying in on that player.  Oh well, just a thought.  I'm sure I will be told how wrong I am once again.  What the hay, who cares.

825601777[/snapback]

I was not ever around the Oak Ridge program so I don't know who coached or built what, but I do know that Greeneville was not even the most recogniseable girl's program in their own county (South Greene Lady Rebels were) before Burkey and now they are known on a state level as a good program. Before Burkey left Oak Ridge theywere a state powerhouse and nationally ranked and they have not been the same since he left

I guess since Burkey built the Oak Ridge program, then this years teams success, which is not at the talent level of past Oak Ridge teams, has nothing to do with the coaching abilities of Prudden.  Probably one of her best coaching jobs just to get them to the final game of the region and win as many games as they did.  Its hard to proceed in the tournament with only one outstanding player and every oponent is keying in on that player.  Oh well, just a thought.  I'm sure I will be told how wrong I am once again.  What the hay, who cares.

825601777[/snapback]

I don't think Oak Ridge is even here if Heritage doesn't lose Cait before the tourney. Greeneville would probably be facing Powell or Heritage. Not that your wrong about Jill's coaching abilities; I think she is an outstanding coach. However I do think Burkey's aau reputation attracted more quality players to their program.

This should go Burkey's way. Greeneville has more talent and a more balanced attack. Defensively they are on top of their game. They have several deadly weapons at their disposal. Just pick one: Manuel (regional tourney MVP), Lyons(District MVP) Anderson (District Tourney MVP) Forney (all-Regional tourney team).

Out on a limb and say Greeneville by 10.

Yeah, it is definitely no coincidence that Greeneville had never hosted a substate game in the school's history and now in only Lynn Burkey's second year the lady devils will be hosting their second straight substate game.  I was at the game last night and it dawned on me that how far Greeneville goes in the tournament does not depend on Lyons.  You are going to get her best effort every single night, it became very obvious that the success of this team revolves around Manuel, the devils will go as far as she wants to take them.  Late in the game last night Ashley Huff was starting to heat up so Burkey finally decided to put Manuel on her devensively and she shut her down, to me (the average fan) that is what pulled out the game last night.  If Manuel gives even 75% the rest of the way the lady devils could set up a date with Mt. Juliet.  I am in no way trying to take anything away from Lyons, it is just that you know she will do whatever it takes, it is Manuel that is the X factor.

825601736[/snapback]

I agree that most of Greeneville's success depends on Manuel. But there's only one problem in that. She doesn't always want to play. There's times that you can tell that she doesn't even want to be out there. When she plays to her capabilities it's a beautiful thing, but Nakeisha doesn't always give a consistent effort night in and night out. You can always depend on Megan to give star effort, but Nakeisha is like flipping a coin. Let's just hope for Greeneville's sake that Nakeisha deceides to play tomorrrow!! Good Luck Devils! Make Greene County Proud!

Like I said, I am wrong in everyone esle's opinion as I was sure that I would be told. Don't know who will win, in fact don't really care. Just expressing an opinion. You are correct about one thing and that is all of this discussion is moot if Cait doesn't go down. That is the biggest break Oak Ridge couldn't have gotten this year.