Why login?

• It's free
  • Participate in the discussions
  • Contribute schedules, rosters and scores
  • Hide the advertising on the message boards by becoming a Plus member
  • Welcome to CoachT.com!

You can't become a part of our great high school sports community without logging in!

Regular visitors will tell you: they love keeping up with teams outside their own area. That only happens when we share information here on CoachT.com!

Don't have an account? It only takes a second to create one, and it's even easier with a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Photo

A Christian Wrestler's Prayer

• Please log in to reply
    15 replies to this topic

#1 shootthehalf

shootthehalf

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Guys this is a pray that I wrote for my wrestlers several years ago and gave it to them and their parents trying to help them to appreciate the referee's and the coaches both for there kids and the opposing coaches also. Do any of you have a favorite pray for wrestlers? I am interesting in prayers that either the wrestlers or coaching use.

A Christian Wrestler’s Prayer

Thy most gracious heavenly Father,

Hallow be thy name,

Help me to use the moves that I have been taught

At the most appropriate times.

Help me to listen to the knowledge and instructions

that my coaches give me before and during the match.

Help me to use my talents and skills to Your Honor and Glory

Help me to fight as hard at the end of the match as I do at the beginning

No matter what the score!

Help me to always be thankful for the Referee keeping me safe,

Help me to accept his calls even if I don’t agree with all of them,

Help me to accept his authority over the match as

I accept the authority of Jesus Christ over my life

Help me to be Humble in Victory

And Gracious in defeat.

I ask this in the name of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

Amen

Coach Doug Newman
    "All it takes is all you've got!"

#2 texas23

texas23

Hall of Famer

• CoachT+
    • 12,924 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

I think this is way over the top...but to each his own I guess.

Putting the ref's authority in direct correlation with God's authority in a young man's life........

reminds me of the man in the movie "The Natural"....."Losing is a disease, as contagious as bubonic plague."
    If Fish would just keep their mouths shut, they would stay out of trouble.

#3 Sommers

Sommers

Record Holder

• Members
    • 4,493 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Putting the ref's authority in direct correlation with God's authority in a young man's life........

reminds me of the man in the movie "The Natural"....."Losing is a disease, as contagious as bubonic plague."

btw... the 1 anonymous user we always see is texas23... has anyone ever noticed he never appears at the list below? :ph34r:
    Enjoy the Journey - one foot ahead of the other

#4 Sommers

Sommers

Record Holder

• Members
    • 4,493 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

Guys this is a pray that I wrote for my wrestlers several years ago and gave it to them and their parents trying to help them to appreciate the referee's and the coaches both for there kids and the opposing coaches also. Do any of you have a favorite pray for wrestlers? I am interesting in prayers that either the wrestlers or coaching use.

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

Thanks Coach!!!!
    Enjoy the Journey - one foot ahead of the other

#5 shootthehalf

shootthehalf

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 81 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

It's obvious that you don’t coach or deal with very many intercity wrestlers. The main thing I want them to do is learn to respect the authority that other people have in their lives i.e., teachers, coaches, principals, Police officers, Judges, and yes Referees,ECT.

A lot of our youth today don't respect the authority of anyone much less that of Jesus Christ! If your one that is fortunate enough not to have to work with these kids then it probably is "over the top". Most of us that coach these kids try to help them realize that there are other people in their lives that they should respect and understand that they do have authority over them in different situations.

Sorry if I touched a nerve! Most people don't understand how difficult it is to be a wrestling referee. His first job is to keep the wrestlers safe and then keep up with the points scored. They deserve a LOT of RESPECT from all of us coaches, wrestler, parents and just fans. Being a wrestling referee can be a thankless job in a lot of places.

As a coach and a wrestler’s parent I have had to teach myself to respect and understand that he is the final authority concerning the match! I was not putting a referee as an equal to Jesus Christ but I was drawing a parallel to the other people in our lives that have authority in our lives. We have way too many people today that don’t respect the authority of Jesus Christ or anyone else!

#6 megawrestlersmom

megawrestlersmom

Manager

• Members
    • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

I always say the same words prior to each of my son's matches:

Dear God, please, keep him safe. Guide him to be smart, wrestle strong and if it is your will, a win.

#7 texas23

texas23

Hall of Famer

• CoachT+
    • 12,924 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

It's obvious that you don’t coach or deal with very many intercity wrestlers. The main thing I want them to do is learn to respect the authority that other people have in their lives i.e., teachers, coaches, principals, Police officers, Judges, and yes Referees,ECT.

A lot of our youth today don't respect the authority of anyone much less that of Jesus Christ! If your one that is fortunate enough not to have to work with these kids then it probably is "over the top". Most of us that coach these kids try to help them realize that there are other people in their lives that they should respect and understand that they do have authority over them in different situations.

Sorry if I touched a nerve! Most people don't understand how difficult it is to be a wrestling referee. His first job is to keep the wrestlers safe and then keep up with the points scored. They deserve a LOT of RESPECT from all of us coaches, wrestler, parents and just fans. Being a wrestling referee can be a thankless job in a lot of places.

As a coach and a wrestler’s parent I have had to teach myself to respect and understand that he is the final authority concerning the match! I was not putting a referee as an equal to Jesus Christ but I was drawing a parallel to the other people in our lives that have authority in our lives. We have way too many people today that don’t respect the authority of Jesus Christ or anyone else!

You are right, I do not coach intercity kids. It was not really stated in you first post, so I am not sure how I would know that.

You may be right about the lack of respect that your group does not have, I am not sure. I wonder if they do not have respect for Jesus and his authority over them, how much a prayer really transitions them from non-believer to believer. Seems to me that for the prayer to be effective, those praying should be Christians to begin with. Maybe they are of another faith? Maybe, no Faith.

My personal preference is that coaches teach their sport and leave the religion to the family.
    If Fish would just keep their mouths shut, they would stay out of trouble.

#8 shootthehalf

shootthehalf

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

You are right, I do not coach intercity kids. It was not really stated in you first post, so I am not sure how I would know that.

You may be right about the lack of respect that your group does not have, I am not sure. I wonder if they do not have respect for Jesus and his authority over them, how much a prayer really transitions them from non-believer to believer. Seems to me that for the prayer to be effective, those praying should be Christians to begin with. Maybe they are of another faith? Maybe, no Faith.

My personal preference is that coaches teach their sport and leave the religion to the family.

The title of the prayer is “A Christian Wrestler’s Prayer”. Being a Christian and a wrestler is very compatible. The prayer is not for a win! It is for “Help” in doing, in following, in being thankful, in accepting, in understanding, in being humble, and in being gracious!

These are attributes that I hope I have instilled in my children and also in the athletes that I have coached. I also hope that I have let them all know we all need help at times during our lives.

#9 CupCake

CupCake

Challenger

• Members
    • 521 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

Do you have any Jewish or Muslim kids on your team?(for example)

"ODDS FAVOR THE BOLD SO MOVE FORWARD UNAFRAID!"   LAD

#10 TheSpadelist

TheSpadelist

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

As a wrestler reading this it realy moved me i am not the most christian person but i do believe and i try my best to pray before every match reading this this morning before i wrestled really gave me a push today and made me think about how lucky i am to have the privilege of beig abel to wrestle and compete this prayer gets me thinking mot about myself but all the others that help make wrestling possible ie the coaches refs and the tssaa officials without yall there wouldnt be a sport this humbels me and makes me so thankful for all them i want to thank everyone who has a part in wrestling i hope other wrestlers read this an they take it to heart
    Merry chrustmas guys

Spirit Style Chooser: