TBCA All State Teams a joke!

OldDoc

thelawking, biggest problem is a lot of parents and coaches do not know how to keep score correctly. But many a MLB or NCAA games will have scorekeeping decisions that make you shake your heard.  Baseball is a game where you can always see something happen that you have never seen before. I have been keeping a book since 1969 Stratomatic games and I learn something new from time to time.

NFHS Rule 9 covers scorekeeping high school games:  https://www.goncso.com/rules/2012%20NFHS%20BASEBALL.pdf

NCAA Rule 10 covers scorekeeping NCAA games:  http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball%20easy%20print%20stats%20manual.pdf

MLB Rule 10: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

What you see as a passed ball or a wild pitch, another parent scores a stolen base. What I see as an E5 because a varsity third baseman has to make that play the hitter (and third baseman's) dad sees as a hit.   Pitcher's dad might disagree :)

You have some parents also think (and score) that if the batter reaches on a 6-4 force out that is a hit. 

I can assure you the statistics for Riverdale are legitimate. Some parents over the years have disagreed from time to time - LOL!   But at Riverdale we keep the book during the game and then discuss various plays with coaches and players involved after the game and change any scoring decisions as needed.  

One more note on all-state teams. People may be surprised on just how many players coaches do get to see over the course of a season. Seeing a school for one day isn't a great judge of talent, a very small sample size.  But when you see a Ben Revere of Lexington Catholic, KY for a game or Zach Cozart play shortstop for a game or recent Memphis 3rd baseman (awesome SS at Bartlett) Jacob Wilson play for a day they tend to stand out.  Coaches talk to other other coaches about players they have seen and this IS the coaches all-state team.  

This post nails it. Most people in general, even in baseball do not know how to score a ball game right. Ive kept stats for Portland the last 2 years. Im also a "volunteer coach" so I sit on a bucket right beside the head coach. (when we are on defense, he coaches third while we are hitting) but, our system, I score the game, if there are any "close" or "questionable" calls, we will either talk about it then, or normally after the game. Just so there are no questions from anyone (since I have a son playing) I guess Ive been around baseball since I was 7 and just thought most people understood the game, ( I still look up rules, even during a game to be right lol) but Ive noticed at the places we play by watching the scoreboard there are a LOT of bad "scorers" out there. Stolen base given when its a wild pitch, hits on FC's. hits ruled as errors just to keep the "home" team from giving up so many hits, it goes on and on. Ive been accused by some parents as scoring too harshly, but, Im sorry a ball between the legs of a fielder is an error, or Im sorry your son left the bases loaded when we pulled him, but those are still his 3 runs he gave up. BUT, by me doing this, it has caused our players to ask more questions, which leads to more answers, which leads to them LEARNING the game. We are limited in the physical department, we are a small school, but, at least our players are learning the game the way it should be...but even umpires dont know how to score a ball game half the time and that is the most aggravating thing of all. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic