David Crockett

BigWinners

Can anyone fill me in on what their expectations are for next year? They are on the Union schedule for the first time, and I have no idea what to expect. They are in the district with very good teams like Science Hill and DB, but they finished near the bottom of the pack.

Do they return a lot of seniors? Are they a team that usually fields a talented squad?

Thanks for the info for a noobie from Virginia!

Can anyone fill me in on what their expectations are for next year? They are on the Union schedule for the first time, and I have no idea what to expect. They are in the district with very good teams like Science Hill and DB, but they finished near the bottom of the pack.

Do they return a lot of seniors? Are they a team that usually fields a talented squad?

DC has only been competitive when playing other bottom of conference teams or much smaller schools. Now that they are moving to a different conference they might be able to win a few more games. I will comment that the last few years with their new coach they have been forming a bit of a thug mentality. They are currently in the middle of a multi-year suspension for such behavior. Several others on here will probably chime in and mention things like that.

By the way, are you on the swvasports board?

I follow both states pretty closely and it is a different type of game. I'll use North as an example. Last year they were very bad but were competitive VS both Union and Lee.

Edited by RebRaider85

Yes I post on the SWVA sports board.

If either of you are familiar with Union, is it a winnable game for Union?

We have three dynamic receiving options, an outside WR, a TE, and a slot back, Sproles-type. The TE was first team All-State as a freshman while the slot back was second team All-State.

The 2A VA schools usually cant compete with the better NE TN schools, but Union did beat Richlands last year and beat North by two TDs. The North score was somewhat deceiving, Union dominated most of the game.

Edited by BigWinners

Yes I post on the SWVA sports board.

If either of you are familiar with Union, is it a winnable game for Union?

We have three dynamic receiving options, an outside WR, a TE, and a slot back, Sproles-type. The TE was first team All-State as a freshman while the slot back was second team All-State.

The 2A VA schools usually cant compete with the better NE TN schools, but Union did beat Richlands last year and beat North by two TDs. The North score was somewhat deceiving, Union dominated most of the game.

I'd say it is a winnable game for Union but DC will have a senior QB who I think has started since he was a freshman. Best player on the team will probably be a Junior running back who looked good as a Soph. We are are talking about a school of 1400+ who haven't been competitive against their peers but they have started scheduling games against schools half their size to try to win a few games.

I'm on the SWVA board occasionally under the same name.

Edited by RebRaider85

Welcome to the T

I'd say it is a winnable game for Union but DC will have a senior QB who I think has started since he was a freshman. Best player on the team will probably be a Junior running back who looked good as a Soph. We are are talking about a school of 1400+ who haven't been competitive against their peers but they have started scheduling games against schools half their size to try to win a few games.

I'm on the SWVA board occasionally under the same name.

Yeah this is the first time I can remember Union (or Powell Valley) playing any NE TN schools outside of North. Union will be breaking in a new QB, but return a first team All-State TE and a second team All-State WR/H-Back. 

If Crockett has a big and physical defensive line, they can likely pressure the Union QB and take away a lot of the down the field offense that Union likes, and if the can sustain the running game, which hurt Union last year, they will put up points.