Catcher's Gear Question - Worried dad!

baseballdad123

Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I keep waiting on this rule to be challenged.  Some newer studies are coming out claiming that a traditional steel mask performs best on a direct hit from a foul or pitched ball over a hockey style mask or titanium traditional mask. While the hokey style does offer better protection from side and rear impact, how often to do you see those happen verses a thrown or batted ball hitting the front of the mask?

With our understanding and concern of concussions increasing yearly, how long will it be before some family presents one of theses studies to TSSAA or NFHS granting a waiver or insisting on their player be allowed to wear a traditional mask? 

• 2 weeks later...