2005 Mr. Basketball Winners

CoachT

actually thank you for that because after seeing him play 3 games and skogen several times this year you just proved my point that doaks was overhyped- and don't even try to say this doesn't happen- you see big name kids all the time who have all the hype in the world and they AREN"T THAT GOOD- this is proven by theire college career- so we'll just have to play the waiting game on this one- but sorry #9 that is hype- not game...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually thank you for that because after seeing him play 3 games and skogen several times this year you just proved my point that doaks was overhyped- and don't even try to say this doesn't happen- you see big name kids all the time who have all the hype in the world and they AREN"T THAT GOOD- this is proven by theire college career- so we'll just have to play the waiting game on this one- but sorry #9 that is hype- not game...

825626405[/snapback]

i proved your point by telling you that the only other high school basketball website in tn has Doaks ranked 28 spots higher than Skogen??? thats probably dumber than sayin Doaks is overhyped. Doaks isnt goin to the NBA....nobodys ever claimed that, but he is considered by everyone that actually knows college basketball to be far better than Skogen. the 3 games you saw at state:

19 points 13 rebounds 4 blocks-70% from the field

19 points 10 rebounds 2 blocks 3 steals-55 % from the field

19 points 14 rebounds 3 blocks- 50% from the field

all 3 games conbined- 20/23 from the ft line-87%

now everyone who said he didnt do good at state tell me ONE problem with those stats????? you cant! its just completley ludicrous to say those arent great games. now please no more absurd posts about his poor showing at state cause those are great numbers that most guys would love to put up.

Edited by btowntigers

when exactly do they vote?? is it before state or do they do it before district starts?

825626369[/snapback]

I don't have my nomination sheet handy but I think the nominations were sent in the last week of the regular season and the voting took place early the next week.

Here are the reasons SKogen got screwed...

1. He didn't have the hype that doaks had- (and he was hype)

2.  He was from a private school- this whole private public thing has gotten so out of hand there was no way they were going to give it to a private schol kid this year

3. He is from chattanooga- in single a mr. basketball has gone to a chattanoogan 4out of the last 5 years-

4.  His brother already won it two years ago- people don't want the same name up there again an again- change is good and exciting and not predictable-

Can you really blame it on him brother? he is a whole other player

Good post Btown... No one can be ignorant enough to say Doaks had a poor showing in State, or that he is not a great player, and still keep even a shred of credibility... And, all those games were with 3 defeders draped all over him anytime he touched the ball...

825626622[/snapback]

Gomab, I am surprised at you...after I told you what coaches on both levels said about doaks, (and they didn't say he was horrible, or even that he wasn't good, just a bit critical of aspects of his game) dude you still call THEM ignorant and say THEY don't have a shred of credibility??? even fatchance knows when he is in over his head, when others might just know a bit more than he does. I aint saying don't have an opinion, of course you do and thats great, but fatchance also knows that at times just a wee bit of humility might go a ways...geez i expect such things from the dopey kids on here, but from you, I guess I thought better.

Gomab, I am surprised at you...after I told you what coaches on both levels said about doaks, (and they didn't say he was horrible, or even that he wasn't good, just a bit critical of aspects of his game) dude you still call THEM ignorant and say THEY don't have a shred of credibility???  even fatchance knows when he is in over his head, when others might just know a bit more than he does.  I aint saying don't have an opinion, of course you do and thats great, but fatchance also knows that at times just a wee bit of humility might go a ways...geez i expect such things from the dopey kids on here, but from you, I guess I thought better.

825626849[/snapback]

We are to trust that you had supposed conversations with college coaches and high school coaches whose teams were not playing last week? Every coach I talked to at the tournament (college & high school) said something totally opposite of what you are proposing. Are you a coach or just a fan? Just trying to check your qualifications.

Just to let everyone know. I have no horse in this race. However, I did go to the state tournament. I have seen Skogen play 3 times and Doaks play 3 games. This is my opinion. Skogen is a better "High School Player". Doaks was just so much bigger and stronger than anyone in the games I saw. Most shots he made were 3 feet from the basket. (thus the higher shooting percentage). Skogen made shots from all over the floor. From what I seen at the tournament, the refs were letting him go over the back a lot! This is just my opinion so don't get fussy. When Doaks plays with people his own size, he will have to show me he can still play. Keep in mind this opinion is just from watching both players only 3 times. My vote would have went to Skogen.

These arguments are inevitable, I guess, after the awards are announced each year. These three guys

Nicchaeus Doaks- Peabody High School

Daniel Puckett- McEwen High School

Caleb Skogen- Temple

were finalists out of 1,300 players in Class A statewide. Depending on the qualities you rank the highest (shooting, ball-handling, rebounding, leadership, team success, etc) you could arrange these three in any order you choose. If you must argue who should have been #1, and apparently you must, then do so without criticizing a player. I mean, think about it. These kids are the best of 1,300. They can play.

The same can be said for Class AA, Class AAA, & Division II as well.

I would like to say congratulations to Doaks for the Mr. Basketball award!

Loveit-

Caleb is just a better player right now no doubt- and gomab's credibility is the one going down the tube b/c I have talked to college coaches as well as other college players that saw doaks play- and everyone I talked to thought he was overrated as a player and after watching him play it sealed up in there mind that caleb was going to win it

First of all you have to take into account that Doaks(as well as Bailey) were on Gomab2's AAU team. So tell me how objective he can be? And he has a perception of having something against Caleb Skogen(whether that's true or not). I'm still not sure if he's seen Caleb play in over a year.

btowntigers-

this kills me, yall think that its just Gomab that thinks Doaks is better and you think he just dislikes Temple is why Skogen is ranked so low. well here you go...go to unapproved website.com(another site similar to coacht) and see where they have these 2 ranked....and these rankings have just been updated either today or yesterday....Doaks #9....Skogen #37.

Mr. Basketball isn't about rankings or college prospects. I thought I saw a list of the criteria earlier but can't seem to find it now. It listed character and academics as well as basketball performance. But did not mention college potential or prep ranking. Oh and we know how much rankings mean.(Temple ranked #1 in single A and losing in the first round).

Doaks points in high school came because he was bigger and a better athlete than the opponents. In college he won't be bigger or a better athlete than the player guarding him and so he will have to improve his "skills" to be able to score at the next level. I think that is all most people are saying. We are not saying he is "not any good". He is a very talented athlete with a lot of potential. But, his skill level is way behind his athletic ability.