Contenders?

Hmmm...the Sparks could be better then expected.  I can't base anything on the win over the Belles because I don't know if the Sparks are really that good or if the Belles are just down from last year.  The Sparks win over the Madison Magic is somewhat impressive considering the Magic were the Alabama 11U State Runner-ups last year.  However, I believe 1 or 2 of their players may have left for the Alabama Ballers who have already qualified for Nationals after their performance at the Division II Nationals in Nashville last summer.  So, I can't accurately say just how strong the Madison Magic are this year, but nonetheless, it is a big win for the Sparks.  I think their toughest game of the year will come in the 2nd round of their North Middle Sub-State where they should face the Tennessee Lady Tigers (assuming there are no upsets along the way).  The Lady Tigers had some size last year and according to an earlier post about them, they have gained more players this year.  The size and speed of the Lady Tigers could be too much for the Sparks to handle.  However, I never count out a team that has alot of heart, and if there is one thing that the Sparks have had alot of in the past two years, its been heart.

825638842[/snapback]

I can tell you that the Belles are missing their starting Post player. She was injured in the Tullahoma Tournament the weekend before Easter and will miss the Sub-State, which does sting. In the previous match up when the Belles beat the Sparks by 8 at Ravenwood, I believe, she only contributed 6 but her defense, as usual, was a contributing factor. She did miss the Heritage Invitational, but I can tell you that the Belles didn't show up as their usual selves and the Sparks are a fierce competitor.

I recall last year, with the strong team that the Belles had, that in the last match up against the Sparks, (I believe), the Belles won in the final seconds of the game by a 3 pointer from Laquinta.

So, definitely don't count them out. I am not sure if they have added anyone or not, but I didn't find their posts particularly short, by any means.

Either way, all of the Sub-States should prove quite entertaining and everyone should see some good ball!

I am excited about the prospects of the TN teams making quite a showing at the Nationals this year!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ptguard... heres the brackets and times for N Middle for this weekend:

Game 1 Crushers v TN Trouble 4/9 at 9:00 CCHS

Game 2 Swoosh v Team Pride 4/9 at 9:00 CMS

Game 3 Sparks v Southside Stars 4/9 at 10:30 CCHS

Game 4 CDF Kats v Lady Tigers 4/9 at 10:30 CMS

Game 5 Loser Game 1 v Loser Game 2 4/10 at 10:15 CMS

Game 6 Loser Game 3 v Loser Game 4 4/10 at 11:45 CMS

:)

Thanks for all the info.  It does not surprise me to see that the Tennessee Lady Tigers were able to beat the Tennessee Team Pride by that many.  I had suspected that they would go out and find themselves some good players to add to the ones they already had.  If you can, could you provide us with a roster of that team?  I'm also interested in getting a roster for the Sycamore Sparks if anyone knows it as I suspect they may have also added a player or two.

825638833[/snapback]

I only a know a few of the players from the TN Lady Tigers as we have played them in middle school, but I can try to ask a couple of people and see if they can give me their roster. I think they lost 2 or 3 players who were non-starters last year and they have added 4 players I think to this years team--2 posts and 2 guards. Ill see if I can get a roster for you.

Can anyone post or know all of the scores from pool play, semi-finals and finals for all of the age groups from the Shelbyville SRT?

825638925[/snapback]

I don't have the scores but here are the teams that qualified for Nationals from the Shelbyville SRT:

10u

FCA Lady Eagles

11u

West Tennessee Lady Tigers

12u

KGC Lady Pride

Cutter Construction Hoopstars (Kentucky)

13u

West Tennessee Lady Tigers/Elite

Shelbyville Sport Shop (Nike)

15u

Tennessee Flight

16u

Tennessee Flight

Tennessee Wings

Anbody know anything about the teams from the West sub-state tournament. I've heard the 13U Tigers/Elite team is awsome.  Any other teams from the west that will compete well at state and nationals?

825633498[/snapback]

;) The West TN Lady Tigers / Memphis Elite 13U team is extremely competitive. They have extreme speed up-top and experienced post players. They haven't been truly tested yet and have played in both 13U and 14U divisions and against very good teams. I believe they will do well in nationals and are a lock for state.

Then I will update you.  It was a very deep and talented group in this age group.  KGC Lady Pride won the championship over Cutter Construction, who defeated the Top Guns in the semi's.  Our Elite team faced both the KGC and the Top Guns.  Both of these clubs are strong and we look forward to seeing them again in the States.

825638879[/snapback]

State will be very exciting with KGC, Top Guns, Belles, Memphis Elite, and the Memphis Glory. If I were a betting guy, I would have to go with KGC. Guards dictate the pace of the game and the West Tennessee teams need more experience at those positions.