Morgan County Football 2005

kingbrian3

It would only cause an uproar among parents and people along those lines.  Most players in Morgan County would welcome it.  At some point in our lives we have to realize that it is not all about these little rivalries, it is about what is best for the students and athletes.  Most of the players on these teams only hate each other when they play each other.  They are friends before the game and as soon as the final whistle blows the are friends again.  It is sad to me that not more of leaders in our county realize this.  They are too backwoods minded to realize that it is not going to be as big of an uproar as they are going to make it.  Like I said the parents are going to be the ones that will make a big deal of it because there little boy is not starting (when chances are he doesn't deserve to anyways).  I just personally have a hard time seeing it be such an uproar among the athletes in the county.  Like Krud said that this is would be a problem between Wartburg and Coalfield, doesn't both Wartburg and Coalfield go to the same vocational school.  Is there that big of problems there due to this?  Probably not.  Just a though.  Any more opinions?

825707018[/snapback]

i think that it would be good in a way and it wouldnt work in a way cause some of the players like to hate the other people from different schools! and if u did take all the schools and put them into one i think that after a while players and students would get along but i think they would like it more if they had there own school and for the schooling if u had one big school u wouldnt get as much of the one on one help (not sayin that ne body needs it or ne thing but just sayin) and i think that there would be a big problem about who is the head coach and stuff like that and alot of the teachers would loose their jobs and i like havin certain teachers and coachs that i dont think i would like to play for ne other coach and think that players like to have the morgan county rivalries and they wouldnt like to loose them and bout the startin spots some people from each school would loose their startin spot and they mite not get to play at all and they wouldnt like it and they mite quit

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest thing about it is that you have to consider who you are playin against. i dont know the numbers exactly but if we were playin oak ridge or maryville every year, that might be kinda tough. another thing is all the other sports. Basketball would do just fine, but baseball would struggle. Personally i would keep it how it is. i kinda like the whole system how it is right now. think about it. you wouldnt have the morgan county rivalries like wartburg-coalfield or oakdale-subright. but then again all us morgan county teams wouldnt be able to whoop up on oneida anymore.

What's everyone's thoughts on consolidating all of the Morgan County Schools and becoming one high school.  I think it would be great for the athletic programs.  I just look at how all of the teams in Morgan County have talent at each school.  But the talent at each school is not always at each position. 

I feel like consolidating would help field a team with a lot of talent.  Take last year for instance.  Look at all of the speed and talent that would have been on the field if you had Hensley, MPG, Brent Hamby, Headrick, many others (can't think of all the names right now).  I know that this would do away with all of the county rivalries and stuff but you can always build new ones.  Let's say with Kingston or Anderson County or Scott County. 

Also colleges are going to be more likely to notice you at a larger school.  Plus you will have competition at each position.  Players will push each other to get better.  You will not have anyone on the field that would be starting just because they are a senior. 

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

825706898[/snapback]

This issue has been brought up four times since 1969 and has gotten absolutely no where. I can tell you this, I will never support a Consolidated High School in Morgan County. It has nothing to do with sports. It has all to do with the ability to build communities. As for a Consolidated High School being better, yeah in some ways but here is the problem go to the public private debate section of THIS BOARD and read why all those parents that have sent their kids to private school did this: The schools are too large and there is no control. Larger schools offer lots of programs (but as pointed out earlier, there is enough offered for students in Morgan to get into College) but the trade off is loss of students, less ability to control the school environment, and the loss of community.

As for a better sports program tell that to Scott Co., Campbell Co. or some others.

Before consolidated schools in those two Counties Huntsville H.S. was as tough as Oneida. In Campbell Co. Jacksboro was one of the toughest programs in the area. Neither of those two schools has really made much progress in the last 25 years in the Football area. Also, go to Lake City, or Norris. Look at those two towns. Neither has grown much at all since their school was moved into Clinton which now has two high schools and is growing. No, I'll never support that concept in Morgan County. It would not benefit the County as a whole, just certain sections.

This issue has been brought up four times since 1969 and has gotten absolutely no where. I can tell you this, I will never support a Consolidated High School in Morgan County. It has nothing to do with sports. It has all to do with the ability to build communities. As for a Consolidated High School being better, yeah in some ways but here is the problem go to the public private debate section of THIS BOARD and read why all those parents that have sent their kids to private school did this: The schools are too large and there is no control. Larger schools offer lots of programs (but as pointed out earlier, there is enough offered for students in Morgan to get into College)  but the trade off is loss of students, less ability to control the school environment, and the loss of community.

As for a better sports program tell that to Scott Co., Campbell Co. or some others.

Before consolidated schools in those two Counties Huntsville H.S. was as tough as Oneida. In Campbell Co. Jacksboro was one of the toughest programs in the area. Neither of those two schools has really made much progress in the last 25 years in the Football area. Also, go to Lake City, or Norris. Look at those two towns. Neither has grown much at all since their school was moved into Clinton which now has two high schools and is growing. No, I'll never support that concept in Morgan County. It would not benefit the County as a whole, just certain sections.

825708515[/snapback]

u know what CY i think this is like the first thing we agree on but i agree with ever thing u said in this post besides it bein brought up 4 times since 1969 cause i have no clue lol but other than that i really agree with ya on this topic i dont think that i would work ne way and im guessin that way over half of the people in morgan county wants to keep it the way it is i think its workin just fine rite now so y change sometime that is doin just fine

u know what CY i think this is like the first thing we agree on but i agree with ever thing u said in this post  besides it bein brought up 4 times since 1969 cause i have no clue lol but other than that i really agree with ya on this topic i dont think that i would work ne way and im guessin that way over half of the people in morgan county wants to keep it the way it is i think its workin just fine rite now so y change sometime that is doin just fine

825709223[/snapback]

Dude, Glad we can agree. The history is as follows, one high school in the early 1900's located in Wartburg available to all but travel prohibited all students from getting a high school education. Other H.S.'s were built in the 1920's to solve this problem. In the late 1940's the school system was told by the State to renovate and again the issue of a Consolidated H.S. was brought up. There was nearly a riot and in fact, there was a fight on the school board or county court where an assault was committed but later settled. In 1969 it was rumored again. In the late 1970's a referendum was held on this issue to settle what to do after the State again told Morgan to renovate schools. In that County wide election renovation of all schools won by a nearly 2-1 margin. Instead of renovating though the School Board and County Commission funded a 20 million project to build new schools in Sunbright, Coalfield and Oakdale as they are today and in Wartburg for the elementary school. Then in 1997 this thing started again. The school board held community meetings in all Communities on how to settle an overcrowding problem. In those meetings the majority of the people in attendance were in favor of keeping the present system, including those in attendance from the Burg. The new wings and renovations recently made were decided then.

A consolidated H.S. would stifle economic growth in individual communities and the competitiveness between the programs would continue through the little league program causing problem when those kids reach high school. Hint, there is a Jacksboro wing and a Lafollette wing at the Campbell.

Edited by CYJacket

I was just 12 when consolidation came up last... that concept just wouldn't work in Morgan County. You'd have a LOT of fights because everyone in Morgan County takes pride in their school and/or town and all that rivalry would never die down and several people would drive to schools like Harriman, Oliver Springs, and Scott Co. or Oneida to play ball.

I sure would hate to see a consolidated high school stifle the growth in Coalfield, Oakdale or Sunbright. Oh wait, there is no economic growth in these areas.

825709850[/snapback]

You would be surprised at the economic growth in and around the Oakdale area. There is a new industrial park in the works for that area out near the Airport. Yes there is an Airport in the area.

As for Coalfield Football practices, they have been standard practice. Coach K is really into it this year, thus the plan is coming together steadily.