District 9aa MVP

Gerry Bertier

Well the season is drawing to an end and I was wondering which players from district 9aa have stood out. Pageman is probably the most knowledgable about this subject as he has seen every team play. I will throw out a couple of names that I think will be in consideration Fairview's Zeph Wuchina, Page's Matt Bowling, Loretto's Mark Lamm, Marshall Co.'s McKay, Lewis Co. 's Sublett, and I don't know much about Giles. I just think these are a few that could be considered for the award.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen all the teams play and I agree with Gerry. Bowling has to be in the mix along with Wuchina and Lamm. I don't agree with Sublett or McKay, I would take the Lewis catcher over Sublett and I would take Caldero (sorry for spelling) over McKay. But if you are talking about an MVP, how could you not talk about Luke Putnam of Fairview. It is simple, if he gets on, the Yellow Jackets score. If he doesn't get on, they don't. Look at the games in which he has played and you will see how he effects the game with his great speed on the bases. Defenses are put in vulnable positions with him batting and on the bases. And how many times has he ran down balls that could have been extra base hits in the outfield. If we are talking about an Most Valuable Player and not a Most Outstanding Player, he would be a good choice.

While I have seem all the teams play, it's the coaches who make the final decision. They are fair more knowledgable than me since they have seen every game that their team has played not just 2 or 3 like me. They know who is their best pitcher, hitter, fielder, or who has made the best overall contribution to the success of their team. I think who delievers in the final week of competition should that be pitcher, hitter, or whatever. I have seen several good catchers this season that should be considered - Lucas Wilmore of Page, Garrett Ammons of Lewis Co., Dustin Wilson of Marshall Co. and others. The fielding value of players should also be considered, not just pitching and hitting. If I had all the data of all the teams, then I could make an educated guess, but then you get the variable of how games are scored and that varies. I bet the coaches just vote with their gut feelings anyway.

How can you even have an input on this when you haven't even seen all the teams play?

825654730[/snapback]

Cause everyone can have an opinion. I was just throwing some names out there. Plus I have gotten reports from all the teams so I have a decent understand of all the teams and players.

I would have to agree Luke Putnam is quite valuable to Fairview, but normally the district MVP has been the teams top pitcher and hitter. I know that doesn't fit the term Most Valuable Player but that is how coaches have voted in the past. In recent history Lykins from Marshall won it twice and Matt Putnam from Fairview won it last year. Both of these players were their teams best all around players. I would look for the same result this year as well.

Well I have seen all the teams play this year and I Haven't seen the dominant pitcher this year like the past few years. There are a few real good pitchers, but it seems like consistent good performances is a problem for all of them. I agree with what Pageman said in that there are a lot of good catchers in this district and there's a good chance one of them might get it. I think this year hitting will be the key and after this week we will see who performs the best and we will probably be able to predict after this coming week. But it is ultimately up to the coaches and what they think.

I've seem them all play so I'll throw out a few names. Page's Matt Bowling for his pitching and hitting. Loretto's Mark Lamm for his pitching and hitting. Fairvew's close between Zeph Wuchina for his Pitching and hitting and Luke Putnum for his Hitting and fielding. Lewis's catcher (Sorry, I forgot his name) but he can hit really well and is good behind the plate. As for Giles and Marshall County, I havent really seen one particular person that stood out in my mind for those teams. I could be wrong.

If i had to pick it would be Matt Bowling from Page...He is by far the best pitcher in the district!!!! And my other picks would be Ryan Tietgens from Marshall County!!! I have seen Lewis Countys catcher he can hit the ball farily well and has an okay arm, but from what i have seen of all the catchers in the district to be the best would have to go to Marshall Countys catcher Dustin Wilson (but im not picking him to be the MVP!!!!) but he has the best arm in the district...But over all the MVP will Matt Bowling from Page...I think he is untouchable!! Good Luck to eveyone...