District 3AAA

coachfro

O.K., folks, here's how I see it! If I'm wrong, please set me straight!

1.) Knox Halls 10-0

2.) Knox Central 7-3

3.) Oak Ridge 6-4

3.) Karns 6-4

5.) Clinton 5-6

6.) Campbell Co. 2-9

7.) Powell 0-10

Monday, April 25

Halls at Karns

Central at Clinton

Oak Ridge at Powell

Wednesday, April 27

Central at Halls

Powell at Campbell Co.

Karns at Oak Ridge

Teams #2 through #5 are watching with a whole lot of interest because in the 3AAA tournament format, the LOSER of the #3 v. #4 game plays the WINNER of the Halls/play-in game. This has not been a huge issue in the past, but has become one this year because of the dominance of Halls over the rest of the district. There are some teams who will feel a little uneasy if they get that #3/#4 draw!

In the instance that teams finish with the same record in district play, tie breakers are:

1.) Head-to-head competition

2.) Record against #1 team, then record against #2 team, then record against #3 team..........

3.) Total # of AAA wins

4.) Total # of AA wins

5.) Total # of A wins

Does this sound about right?

It should be an interesting week!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coachfro,

You know who I picked as the #2 team before season play started, but I have to admit that the surprise team in district play has been Central.

Central should now be favored to go 8-4 with a win at Clinton and a loss at Halls

Oak Ridge should be (8-4) favored at home over Karns (They beat the Beavers at Karns) and should win over winless Powell.

That would leave Karns to finish 6-6 and in a bad position come the tournament seeding. (4th) The Beavers need for the Dragons to win at home over Central and hope they can return the favor over the Wildcats.

That would mean that Oak Ridge, Central and Karns would finish with 7-5 records assuming Powell stays winless and Halls wins out.

Have you looked at the records to see how the three teams with 7-5 district records would play out?

HV,

In 7 years of "following" this district, I've definitely learned to expect the unexpected.

I doubt that this week will turn out the way you expect it to! -No offense to you - It's just that what is SUPPOSED to happen in this district very rarely ever does!

That's why I've already said it should be an interesting week!

I never thought I'd so freely admit this in writing, but I think I'm going to be a Dragon and Red Devil fan this week!

If we all finish 7-5, all "H" will break loose!

All I know is I'll be waking up early Tuesday morning to check the paper for results regardless of ANYONE'S outcome!

coachfro,

Halls wins in 5 innings today as Daniel Larson throws a one hitter. Final score 10-0

I'm not sure of the number of K's, but Daniel had a good number. It was my first time seeing him pitch this year and he has improved greatly over last season. I talked with one scout and also saw Coach Simcox. I assume Coach Simcox was there to see Jeffery Lockwood.

How 'bout that, HV?! I believe the quote was "expect the unexpected."

Excellent ball game by a Powell club that has been getting stronger as the year has progressed. A strong effort from a freshman pitcher and timely hitting. Congratulations to Cale Lawson and the Panthers.

Tonight:

Halls 10, Karns 0

Central 10, Clinton 2

Powell 10, Oak Ridge 5

This evening makes Wednesday's games rather melodramatic. The district is set, with only the Karns/Oak Ridge winner taking 3/4.

The Standings are now:

1.) Halls 11-0

2.) Central 8-3

3/4 Oak Ridge 6-5

3/4 Karns 6-5

5.) Clinton 5-7

6.) Campbell Co. 2-9

7.) Powell 1-10

If the brackets from previous years hold true, we'll see:

Campbell Co v. Powell - Thur., May 5th at 5:00

Oak Ridge v. Karns - Thur., May 5th at 7:30

Central v. Clinton - Fri., May 6th at 5:00

Halls v. Play-in winner - Fri., May 6th at 7:30

Now let's see if the brackets from previous years hold true!

Seems like the posting (in the Knox County teachers bulletin) for a new Head Baseball Coach @ Powell High School motivated the Panthers.

825657469[/snapback]

That's been no secret. Coach Lawson told the team early in the year that this would be his last year as the head coach at Powell. This team is just very young. It's taken it a while to begin to grow up.