Chattanoogan.com Power Poll

GradfromtheNest

Area Power Poll: Thru 4/24/05

(Previous Ranking in Parenthesis)

1) Ooltewah (1)- There is only one way to retain the top spot on the power poll after losing two straight and that is by immediately proving it was a fluke. The Owls did just that as they rebounded from the losses to Soddy Daisy early in the week by knocking off their next five opponents Cleveland, Hixson, Heritage, Wilson Central, and Coffee County by almost 50 runs combined. Their 2-1 loss to Knox Halls (26-1) in the semi-finals on Sunday was one of their more impressive performances this season.

2) McCallie (5)- O.k., so their record is no good, but they are. As the season winds down the Blue Tornado is just winding up and Saturday’s 20-3 win over Hixson that included seven home runs was a nice follow-up to their sweep of Baylor. Williams, Lawrence, Coleman, Moore, Roark, and Jayne make up what has developed into the area’s deepest pitching corps.

3) Soddy Daisy (8)- The Trojans series sweep over Ooltewah was the most impressive two-day performance that we have seen all year. That doesn’t make Soddy Daisy the best team in the area, at least yet. It’s easy to forget the two losses to Hixson and losses Red Bank and Bradley Central after last week, but then again those are teams that Ooltewah dominated. Bottom line is that the Trojans are on the rise.

4) Baylor (3)- Nobody is harder to read than the Red Raiders, who had all but locked up the top spot on this poll before falling apart against McCallie last week. Their talent is obvious and abundant, but their drive has got to be in question at this point. A team with four guys batting over .400 can win. If they put the pieces of the puzzle back together like they are capable of doing, they will be State Champions in a few weeks.

5) Walker Valley (2)- Being a AA ball club, the Mustangs chances to prove themselves against schools of other classifications and divisions are few and far between. Therefore a 5-4 loss to Notre Dame is unacceptable if you want to move up this poll. Regardless, Walker Valley ace Paul Sorah has been nearly untouchable all year and will carry the Mustangs into the playoffs as one of the top teams in class AA.

6) Red Bank (6)- The Lions proved their ability to play with the big boys in a 4-2 win over rival Soddy Daisy a couple weeks ago. Shortstop Reece Cofer has quietly batted over .400 all season and Brandon Siltz has emerged as a quality #1 starter for the Lions.

7) Grundy County (NR)- It’s almost hard to believe that Josh Sitz and Dustin Fultz are batting .541 and .488, respectively, with over twenty combined doubles. Not to mention Sitz is 6-0 with a subzero ERA. Monday’s showdown against Hixson should be interesting if Sitz and Smalley face off.

8) Hixson (4)- The Wildcats need a big win in a hurry after two embarrassing losses to Ooltewah and McCallie. Don’t be surprised if they get it Monday against Grundy. Josh Green and Jake McClure, who are both batting over .450, have been carrying this team when Brett Smalley is not on the mound.

9) Notre Dame (7)- Just about the time it looked as if the wheels could be falling off the Irish train, they took down powerhouse Walker Valley 5-4. Starter Jimmy Fisher has been so dominate thus far that he practically doesn’t have an ERA.

10) Marion County (NR)- Recent wins over Red Bank, Cleveland and almost Soddy Daisy bump the Warriors into the top ten for the first time this season.

Dropped Out: East Ridge, Cleveland

On The Verge: Bradley Central, Lookout Valley, McMinn County

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grad

i am not trying to bash any local teams in the area but how could anyone say that the sweep soddy did over ooltewah was a fluke

i mean they did outscore them 10-3. ooltewah on paper has the better team but is 1-4 agaist the trojans the last two years.

grad

i am not trying to bash any local teams in the area but how could anyone say that the sweep soddy did over ooltewah was a fluke

i mean they did outscore them 10-3. ooltewah on paper has the better team but is 1-4 agaist the trojans the last two years.

825656629[/snapback]

I didn't do that poll...I just posted it on CoachT. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

I didn't do that poll...I just posted it on CoachT.  I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

825656640[/snapback]

Not a terrible poll. It's better than the one on Chattanoogabaseball.com.

But there are a few problems. Ooltewah does not deserve to be number 1. As usual, they're proving they choke during big games. Losing both games to Soddy is just a preview of things to come.

McCallie ought to be number 1. They are peaking at the right time.

Soddy can be good when they concentrate. They'll give Ooltewah quite a ride in the district, because Garland always has his team ready for the big games.

Baylor should be number 2. McCallie got hot against them, but Baylor could easily turn that around. With those 2 schools, it's unpredictable.

Grundy is better than Walker Valley.

It's hard to tell about Hixson and Red Bank. Both those teams have had star players out with suspensions recently (Hixson had at least 4 guys out, and Red Bank lost Cofer for 3 games and Miller gets pulled for repeatedly throwing his bat and helmet). If these teams (and coaches) get their heads on straight, they're not too bad. What was the deal with Hixson's coach throwing in the towel with his team down by 4 runs against McCallie. That is some strange coaching.

Marion County should be higher. They're better than 2 or 3 teams ahead of them.

Oh well, that's my opinion.

3) Soddy Daisy (8)- The Trojans series sweep over Ooltewah was the most impressive two-day performance that we have seen all year. That doesn’t make Soddy Daisy the best team in the area, at least yet. It’s easy to forget the two losses to Hixson and losses Red Bank and Bradley Central after last week, but then again those are teams that Ooltewah dominated. Bottom line is that the Trojans are on the rise

Just going to say ooltewah didnt dominate Bradley the score was 3-5 and Bradley needs to be in the top 10

GO BEARS!

Not a terrible poll.  It's better than the one on Chattanoogabaseball.com.

But there are a few problems.    Ooltewah does not deserve to be number 1.  As usual, they're proving they choke during big games.  Losing both games to Soddy is just a preview of things to come.

McCallie ought to be number 1.  They are peaking at the right time. 

Soddy can be good when they concentrate.  They'll give Ooltewah quite a ride in the district, because Garland always has his team ready for the big games.

Baylor should be number 2.  McCallie got hot against them, but Baylor could easily turn that around.  With those 2 schools, it's unpredictable.

Grundy is better than Walker Valley.

It's hard to tell about Hixson and Red Bank.  Both those teams have had star players out with suspensions recently (Hixson had at least 4 guys out, and Red Bank lost Cofer for 3 games and Miller gets pulled for repeatedly throwing his bat and helmet).  If these teams (and coaches) get their heads on straight, they're not too bad.  What was the deal with Hixson's coach throwing in the towel with his team down by 4 runs against McCallie.  That is some strange coaching.

Marion County should be higher.  They're better than 2 or 3 teams ahead of them.

Oh well, that's my opinion.

825656725[/snapback]

You're right, McCallie should be number 1 with an 13 and 12 record! McCallie has talent and is capable of winning any game around here, but they have had ZERO consistency this year....Examples:

Ringgold 5, McCallie 1

Ringgold 2, McCallie 0

Knox Halls 9, McCallie 3 -----Ooltewah 1, Knox Halls 2

Webb 3, McCallie 1

Webb 2, McCallie 1

Coffee Co 4, McCallie 3 -----Ooltewah 18, Coffee Co 1

I'm not saying McCallie is bad, but anyone at .500 is not the best team in the area. Soddy is good...but you say Ooltewah chokes(your terminology, not mine!)?

Hixson 7, Soddy Daisy 5 -----Ooltewah 12, Hixson 4

Science Hill 9, Soddy Daisy 1

Hixson 3, Soddy Daisy 2

Knox Halls 9, Soddy Daisy 3 ----Ooltewah 1, Knox Halls 2

Red Bank defeated Soddy ----Ooltewah 12 and 4, Red Bank 0 and 0

Bradley Central defeated Soddy ---- Ooltewah 5, Bradley 3.

Look, I'm not trying to bash either team - just disprove what you say. I think Soddy and McCallie and Baylor are all good...and I do NOT look forward to playing Soddy again in the tourney! I respect them and Coach Garland.

Sorry, just had to get all that out to...

It really doesn't matter who is where. Its a week to week poll so you can't get mad at it. It's baseball... Teams will have bad games and good games. We know all of the top 5 teams are really good and could all beat each other on any given day. No need to whine or gripe about a weekly baseball poll. The only poll that matters will be at the end of May!

You're right, McCallie should be number 1 with an 13 and 12 record!  McCallie has talent and is capable of winning any game around here, but they have had ZERO consistency this year....Examples:

Ringgold 5, McCallie 1

Ringgold 2, McCallie 0

Knox Halls 9, McCallie 3 -----Ooltewah 1, Knox Halls 2

Webb 3, McCallie 1

Webb 2, McCallie 1

Coffee Co 4, McCallie 3 -----Ooltewah 18, Coffee Co 1

I'm not saying McCallie is bad, but anyone at .500 is not the best team in the area.  Soddy is good...but you say Ooltewah chokes(your terminology, not mine!)?

Hixson 7, Soddy Daisy 5 -----Ooltewah 12, Hixson 4

Science Hill 9, Soddy Daisy 1

Hixson 3, Soddy Daisy 2

Knox Halls 9, Soddy Daisy 3  ----Ooltewah 1, Knox Halls 2

Red Bank defeated Soddy ----Ooltewah 12 and 4, Red Bank 0 and 0

Bradley Central defeated Soddy ----  Ooltewah 5, Bradley 3.

Look, I'm not trying to bash either team - just disprove what you say.  I think Soddy and McCallie and Baylor are all good...and I do NOT look forward to playing Soddy again in the tourney!  I respect them and Coach Garland.

Sorry, just had to get all that out to...

825657045[/snapback]

Hey you guys from Ooltewah need to quit pounding your chest. The Coffee Co. folks were pretty upset because they said they had came to play a jv game with freshman and soph. players. Their were a lot of mad people left after Halls and Ooltewah played there frist team varsity against the Coffee jv.

Not too sure how Halls put out their lineup, but Coach Wingate definitely recognized the fact we were playing their JV, and started some players who don't normally start. The lineup did include Jones, Burke, etc. but wow, its baseball, if anything as a JV player, it gives them a taste of what the varsity competition is like. Chill out, you came to Chattanooga and played a great tournament, advanced to the semi-final game, and left with your head held high.