825658912[/snapback]

They are in region 4

Sycamore

Pearl Cohn

Greenbrier

Station Camp

Macon County

DeKalb County

It will be a strange year in this region...

*White House their region to lose this year. Great Coaching Staff Great core of returning player but they lost a lot of good players also...

*Sycamore did not live up to expectations last year so it is unsure what they will have

*Pearl-Cohn - Athletic should compete but time will tell

*Greenbrier is coming a regional championship and should still be competetive but not to the level that they were at last year.

*Station Camp - Has an Athletic team jury is out on them

*Macon County - Great Coach should be better than last year how much better no one knows

*Dekalb - Most likely the weakest team in the region

Guest catfish-hunter
They are in region 4

Sycamore

Pearl Cohn

Greenbrier

Station Camp

Macon County

DeKalb County

It will be a strange year in this region...

*White House their region to lose this year.  Great Coaching Staff Great core of returning player but they lost a lot of good players also...

*Sycamore did not live up to expectations last year so it is unsure what they will have

*Pearl-Cohn - Athletic should compete but time will tell

*Greenbrier is coming a regional championship and should still be competetive but not to the level that they were at last year.

*Station Camp - Has an Athletic team jury is out on them

*Macon County - Great Coach should be better than last year how much better no one knows

*Dekalb - Most likely the weakest team in the region

825658931[/snapback]

You are absolutely right by saying that it is White House's region to lose, at least on paper from looking at what happened in 2004, but some of your other comments disturb me a bit. You said that White House as well as Macon Co. are both coached great, but you did not say the same for Pearl Cohn or Greenbrier. Under coach Jeff Porter White House has won a total of one state title, which was the '97 class 3A championship win over Melrose. Unless I am mistaken Maurice Fitzgerald has won two state championships during his tenure at Pearl Cohn, which were the '96 and '97 seasons. I am a guy who always finds a way to clown on Greenbrier Bobcats football, but let's give credit where it is due. Kirk Williams is one heck of a football coach and Greenbrier was a playoff team long before Roger Herndon ever walked the hallways of the school. Macon Co.???? They had one season where they made a run to the state semifinals but that is it. Referring to Station Camp you stated that "the jury is out on them". What does that mean exactly??? The Bisons in only their second year on the varsity level were a state playoff team a year ago. I'd say that Station Camp is a football program quickly on the rise and they have no questions as to if they are or aren't a good football team. DeKalb Co. will be under the direction of a new head football coach this fall and they are likely the weakest team in the region. You were also right in saying that Sycamore "did not live up to expectations" in 2004, but you've also gotta consider that when those kids in the trenches got some varsity games under their belts that Sycamore turned out to be a pretty good football team at the end of the year. I'm sure that Creek Wood OR Mont. Cent. would not have been too quick to play the Sycamore team that beat Cheatham Co. and Marshall Co. to end the 2004 campaign.

Here is how I see the region heading into the 2005 season:

1.) White House- the Ble Devils return Class 3A Mr. Football favorite Ricky Ladd to the backfield and he will also be joined by fellow backs Justin West and Aaron Hargrove. Gone from last year's 13-1 semifinalist team are quarterback Kyle Levering and recievers Chad Broadrick, Cody Harmon, Mark Rippon, and Dewayne Gibbs. Ladd is a great back with a great supporting cast around him in the backfield but replacing all of that production from an aerial attack that was very good last year won't help out coach Porter and his staff. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the heir apparent at these positions for the House this spring when they take on Gallatin.

2.) Pearl Cohn- the Firebirds began the 2004 season great with wins over both Hillsboro and Mt. Juliet. After they'd lost to Metro rival Hunters Lane as well as region rival Stratford in two hard fought football games they had to forfeit their early wins. That really took the air out of the young Firebirds and their season was downhill from that point on. Returning for coach Maurice Fitzgerald, who has been the head football coach at Pearl since 1990, are a great cast of talented players led by tailback Bobby Council. Freshman quarerback Dauntae Mason really played well for the most part for Pearl last year and he has some solid recievers to thow the ball to in Rashad Mason and Deshawn Cotton. Lineman Charles Sparkman may be the best college prospect in the region. A week seven matchup with White House in Nashville could decide who will host the likely rematch in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs in November.

3.) Station Camp- the new school in Gallatin burst onto the scene quickly in year one as they went 4-6 and just missed out on making a trip to the state playoffs. Last year was a different story as the Bisons went 5-5 (in a region that was tough with the likes of David Lipscomb and Goodpasture on the schedule) and made a trip to the TSSAA class 2A state playoffs. Returning for Station Camp in 2005 is a solid player in quarterback Will Anderson, who really is underrated across the midstate area. If Anderson's recievers step up big, then the Bisons might make it back-to-back trips to the playoffs in only a brief amount of time. A home game with Sycamore in week two will likely be a bench mark to see where the Bisons stand in a very tough region.

4.) Greenbrier- the 2004 season was the most successful one in the history of Greenbrier football as the Bobcats went all the way to the Blue Cross Bowl. Coach Kirk Williams might be the best coach in the midstate, although that White House monkey on his back really does hurt. Greenbrier has made it to the quarerfinals, semifinals, and the state title game for the past three years and although some great players graduate (including Mr. Football award winner Roger Herndon) I expect that the Greenbrier nation will still have plenty to cheer about. Returning for the 'Cats will be Roger's younger brother Kyle. Kyle is a versitile athlete who can play either reciever, quarerback or running back. Joining Kyle in the backfield will be backs Troy Dill and Justin Pigg, who will both have the tough chore of replacing Roger in the backfield. The region portion of the schedule starts off good for Greenbrier with a home game against DeKalb Co., although the other four out of the first five games are at PJPII, David Lipscomb, at Marshall Co., and at Cheatham Co.

5.) Sycamore- last season started off great for first year head coach Gary Halstead as Sycamore rolled past Rossview 34-7, but from that point through the 7th week of the season was anything but great for the Pleasant View faithful. Sycamore lost close games to Creek Wood, Mont. Cent. and Page and were flat out crushed by Greenbrier and White House. The only win Sycamore could manage in that six week span was over a JV Harpeth Indians bunch. Something strange really happened as the 2004 season came to a close for Sycamore. After a home win over Giles Co., Sycamore beat both Cheatham Co. and Marshall Co. (two second round playoff teams a year ago) to end the year. Gone are several key components from an offense that rolled up huge yardage regularly and the school's all time leading tackler in Jake Vaughn, BUT returning are several linemen that were young early in the year last year who really grew up before everyone's eyes late. Also returning for coach Halstead are several players with varsity experience who will now get their chance to shine like Austin Lohin, Kyle Graham, John Clanton, Jem Moore, and Matt Carrigan. The week two matchup with Station Camp will be HUGE for both teams.

6.) Macon Co.- the Tigers like Greenbrier had their best year in school history recently but instead of 2004 there's was in 2003 when Macon made a trip to the class 3A state semifinals before losing to back-to-back champion Fulton. Graduation hit this bunch hard at the end of the 2003 season and 2004 was sure to be a rebuilding year and like Sycamore, Macon Co. got much better as the year progressed. Back for the Tigers is running back Michael Dallas who rushed for nearly 1,000 yards a year ago. The battle for quarterback is still up for question for Macon as both Keith Kirby and Adam Shaw played quite a bit at the position a year ago. Kirby claimed the position late last fall after an impressive performance against Cannon Co. but the senior Shaw really would like to claim the job heading into the 2005 season. With nearl 40 upperclassmen on this year's roster Macon Co. is sure to be better than last year's 4-6 team that just missed the state playoffs and a week zero matchup with former region rival Trousdale Co. will show where the Tigers stand amongst the big boys in the midstate.

7.) DeKalb Co.- New Coach means REBUILDING will take place in Smithville, but a season opening matchup with lowly Warren Co. could serve as a confidence builder heading into Greenbrier to start out the region portion of the schedule.

Edited by catfish-hunter

You are absolutely right by saying that it is White House's region to lose, at least on paper from looking at what happened in 2004, but some of your other comments disturb me a bit.  You said that White House as well as Macon Co. are both coached great, but you did not say the same for Pearl Cohn or Greenbrier.  Under coach Jeff Porter White House has won a total of one state title, which was the '97 class 3A championship win over Melrose.  Unless I am mistaken Maurice Fitzgerald has won two state championships during his tenure at Pearl Cohn, which were the '96 and '97 seasons.  I am a guy who always finds a way to clown on Greenbrier Bobcats football, but let's give credit where it is due.  Kirk Williams is one heck of a football coach and Greenbrier was a playoff team long before Roger Herndon ever walked the hallways of the school.  Macon Co.????  They had one season where they made a run to the state semifinals but that is it.  Referring to Station Camp you stated that "the jury is out on them".  What does that mean exactly???  The Bisons in only their second year on the varsity level were a state playoff team a year ago.  I'd say that Station Camp is a football program quickly on the rise and they have no questions as to if they are or aren't a good football team.  DeKalb Co. will be under the direction of a new head football coach this fall and they are likely the weakest team in the region.  You were also right in saying that Sycamore "did not live up to expectations" in 2004, but you've also gotta consider that when those kids in the trenches got some varsity games under their belts that Sycamore turned out to be a pretty good football team at the end of the year.  I'm sure that Creek Wood OR Mont. Cent. would not have been too quick to play the Sycamore team that beat Cheatham Co. and Marshall Co. to end the 2004 campaign. 

Here is how I see the region heading into the 2005 season:

1.) White House- the Ble Devils return Class 3A Mr. Football favorite Ricky Ladd to the backfield and he will also be joined by fellow backs Justin West and Aaron Hargrove.  Gone from last year's 13-1 semifinalist team are quarterback Kyle Levering and recievers Chad Broadrick, Cody Harmon, Mark Rippon, and Dewayne Gibbs.  Ladd is a great back with a great supporting cast around him in the backfield but replacing all of that production from an aerial attack that was very good last year won't help out coach Porter and his staff.  It will be interesting to see who emerges as the heir apparent at these positions for the House this spring when they take on Gallatin

2.) Pearl Cohn- the Firebirds began the 2004 season great with wins over both Hillsboro and Mt. Juliet.  After they'd lost to Metro rival Hunters Lane as well as region rival Stratford in two hard fought football games they had to forfeit their early wins.  That really took the air out of the young Firebirds and their season was downhill from that point on.  Returning for coach Maurice Fitzgerald, who has been the head football coach at Pearl since 1990, are a great cast of talented players led by tailback Bobby Council.  Freshman quarerback Dauntae Mason really played well for the most part for Pearl last year and he has some solid recievers to thow the ball to in Rashad Mason and Deshawn Cotton.  A week seven matchup with White House in Nashville could decide who will host the likely rematch in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs in November. 

3.) Station Camp- the new school in Gallatin burst onto the scene quickly in year one as they went 4-6 and just missed out on making a trip to the state playoffs.  Last year was a different story as the Bisons went 5-5 (in a region that was tough with the likes of David Lipscomb and Goodpasture on the schedule) and made a trip to the TSSAA class 2A state playoffs.  Returning for Station Camp in 2005 is a solid player in quarterback Will Anderson, who really is underrated across the midstate area.  If Anderson's recievers step up big, then the Bisons might make it back-to-back trips to the playoffs in only a brief amount of time.  A home game with Sycamore in week two will likely be a bench mark to see where the Bisons stand in a very tough region. 

4.) Greenbrier- the 2004 season was the most successful one in the history of Greenbrier football as the Bobcats went all the way to the Blue Cross Bowl.  Coach Kirk Williams might be the best coach in the midstate, although that White House monkey on his back really does hurt.  Greenbrier has made it to the quarerfinals, semifinals, and the state title game for the past three years and although some great players graduate (including Mr. Football award winner Roger Herndon) I expect that the Greenbrier nation will still have plenty to cheer about. Returning for the 'Cats will be Roger's younger brother Kyle.  Kyle is a versitile athlete who can play either reciever, quarerback or running back.  Joining Kyle in the backfield will be backs Troy Dill and Justin Pigg, who will both have the tough chore of replacing Roger in the backfield.  The region portion of the schedule starts off good for Greenbrier with a home game against DeKalb Co., although the other four out of the first five games are at PJPII, David Lipscomb, at Marshall Co., and at Cheatham Co.

5.) Sycamore- last season started off great for first year head coach Gary Halstead as Sycamore rolled past Rossview 34-7, but from that point through the 7th week of the season was anything but great for the Pleasant View faithful.  Sycamore lost close games to Creek Wood, Mont. Cent. and Page and were flat out crushed by Greenbrier and White House.  The only win Sycamore could manage in that six week span was over a JV Harpeth Indians bunch.  Something strange really happened as the 2004 season came to a close for Sycamore.  After a home win over Giles Co., Sycamore beat both Cheatham Co. and Marshall Co. (two second round playoff teams a year ago) to end the year.  Gone are several key components from an offense that rolled up huge yardage regularly and the school's all time leading tackler in Jake Vaughn, BUT returning are several linemen that were young early in the year last year who really grew up before everyone's eyes late.  Also returning for coach Halstead are several players with varsity experience who will now get their chance to shine like Austin Lohin, John Clanton, Jem Moore, and Matt Carrigan.  The week two matchup with Station Camp will be HUGE for both teams. 

6.) Macon Co.- the Tigers like Greenbrier had their best year in school history recently but instead of 2004 there's was in 2003 when Macon made a trip to the class 3A state semifinals before losing to back-to-back champion Fulton.  Graduation hit this bunch hard at the end of the 2003 season and 2004 was sure to be a rebuilding year and like Sycamore, Macon Co. got much better as the year progressed.  Back for the Tigers is running back Michael Dallas who rushed for nearly 1,000 yards a year ago.  The battle for quarterback is still up for question for Macon as both Keith Kirby and Adam Shaw played quite a bit at the position a year ago.  Kirby claimed the position late last fall after an impressive performance against Cannon Co. but the senior Shaw really would like to claim the job heading into the 2005 season.  With nearl 40 upperclassmen on this year's roster Macon Co. is sure to be better than last year's 4-6 team that just missed the state playoffs and a week zero matchup with former region rival Trousdale Co. will show where the Tigers stand amongst the big boys in the midstate. 

7.) DeKalb Co.- New Coach means REBUILDING will take place in Smithville, but a season opening matchup with lowly Warren Co. could serve as a confidence builder heading into Greenbrier to start out the region portion of the schedule.

825659373[/snapback]

I did not mean to slight Kirk or Maurice and I personally know both of them, they are both great coaches and have experienced success in their careers. I probably should not have referred to any teams coach as good or great because this region has some exceptional head coaches and assistant coaches...

Yes Coach "Fitz" outdistances Coach "Po" by one state championship.

But there isnt any water towers painted for a State Champion along I-24 or Hwy 49.

My comment on Station Camp comes from their move in classification and regions this year that is why the "jury is still out" on their 2005 success.....

Changing the subject somewhat has Sycamore hired a boys basketball coach yet? If they have who got the job??

Guest catfish-hunter

I did not mean to slight Kirk or Maurice and I personally know both of them, they are both great coaches and have experienced success in their careers.  I probably should not have referred to any teams coach as good or great because this region has some exceptional head coaches and assistant coaches...

Yes Coach "Fitz" outdistances Coach "Po" by one state championship.

But there isnt any water towers painted for a State Champion along I-24 or Hwy 49.

My comment on Station Camp comes from their move in classification and regions this year that is why the "jury is still out" on their 2005 success.....

Changing the subject somewhat has Sycamore hired a boys basketball coach yet?  If they have who got the job??

825659617[/snapback]

I have no clue on Sycamore's choice to be the next basketball coach.