What is the problem with West Tn Softball

mondo44

They really don't have a great pitching program in West Tennessee. There are and have been some good pitching coaches but not many really top notch pitchers coming from there. Actually, my oldest daughter is getting married June 11. She pitches for Lipscomb and is going to move to Memphis. She plans on starting a pitching class in Memphis if she can find a place to hold it. Even if she is my daughter, I have to say she is a great teacher. She can get her message across to the player very well. She has that "connection thingy" with kids. Most of you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, she isn't in it to make a bunch of money. Just to help kids and pay some bills while they continue going to school. :lol:

They really don't have a great pitching program in West Tennessee. There are and have been some good pitching coaches but not many really top notch pitchers coming from there. Actually, my oldest daughter is getting married June 11. She pitches for Lipscomb and is going to move to Memphis. She plans on starting a pitching class in Memphis if she can find a place to hold it. Even if she is my daughter, I have to say she is a great teacher. She can get her message across to the player very well. She has that "connection thingy" with kids. Most of you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, she isn't in it to make a bunch of money. Just to help kids and pay some bills while they continue going to school.  ;)

825668176[/snapback]

softball has never been a top priority for kids in the memphis area...maybe with Univ. of Memphis starting softball it will help build up some interest....I think soccer is emphasized more in Memphis, because thats what the 2 biggest schools play really good...that and basketball.

I played softball in West Tn and we never had the support from the school. They still don't. I played Divison I softball, but through no help of anyone at the school. I also don't think the TSSAA helps matters. The districts are so sporadic its hard for teams to travel that far. My neice plays in District 13-AAA and their district is Dyersburg, Jackson Northside,Hardin County, and Jackson Central Merry. Next year the district expands to Jackson Central Merry, Hardin County, Brighton, and Munford. Two of those schools are over 2 1/2 hours a way. Most district have at least 7-8 teams in a district to compete with. My niece has been taken pitching lessons from Club K for 7 years and she is a very good pitcher. My niece has no team support, but that's from lack of coaching. What do you expect when the schools hires the football coach as the softball coach! And, to whoever said there is no pitching in West TN, your wrong! Maybe you need to come watch a few games. I live in Middle TN now and except for a few pitchers, they are all about the same across the state. I can only name about five in Middle TN that make you say wow. They rest just pitch!

IMO travel ball has made all the difference in the quality of softball. The west has just started having an abundance of summer travel ball....some of the bigger towns have had it a while but the more rural locations have not really got into the major travel ball arena until the last 5 years or so....and its beginning to show in the improving quality of talent that is coming up the ranks....How many west TN teams have 8th graders as the aces??...quite a few and many have the younger girls as the power positions in their batting line-ups also...why? IMO because these girls have been exposed to a higher level of competition than their older counterparts....in a few years talent levels between the West and the rest of the state will even out and HOPEFULLY the west will see more support from their high schools and middle schools...because as of right now very few school's softball programs west of the river have much if any administrative support.

Edited by tamirrt

Well none of them have won state but st.benedict has placed in the top 3 for 3 yrs now.. the west just really isnt known for softball.. your rite it doesnt help that memphis is just now getting a softball team..Everyone looks to mid tennessee and never to the west, that could be one problem.. there are some good coaches in the west, there not all the same, there not all football coaches..sometimes it is the schools fault for caring more about football and basketball and not about softball, but some schools do care, not all.... memphis does have a wonderful pitching coach, as well as hitting, fielding and anything else softball related.. the west is just seriously under rated... there really are some good players from the west, no one knows about them because they dont get any media attention or any recognition.. maybe that should change! everyone should watch out at state this year things could be changing!