Class A State Tourney

jrvoyles11

Halls has a solid team with only one senior. I believe they have what it takes to make it to the championship. Errors cost them several runs in the FCA game. Hopefully errors wont play a part in the game they are playing now against goodpasture. Im not saying that Halls is better than FCA im just saying that errors can mess a team up big time. This is the first time halls has made it to state in god knows how long. When i played for them from 2000 to 04 we made it to substate 3 of the four years and finally they make it past that point. Good luck Halls. bring that trophy back. thumb thumb thumb thumb

No offense to any team, they all could have won under the right circumstances - but in each class and especially class A( because of overall and pitching depth) it is IMHO essential to win the first two games. Only seems from past experience that private schools have enough depth in Class A to come out of loser's bracket and win. And usually if this happens they get pounded in the title game. So with that as my basis - I am saying USJ vs Friendship with the outside chance that Goodpasture can beat Friendship. Once you get past 1,2,3 who knows what will happen.

In AA, Lipscomb has surprised me as well as the fact that Jack SS had an early exit did as well. P Forge has also surprised me and Covington who were good enough to come back thru this bracket. Loudon showed a little spunk as well. My picks Lipscomb vs Pigeon Forge (though depending on the outcome of the Ripley and Greenbrier game, Ripley could come out as well.

In AAA, Houston is the hottest team going on one bracket and Overton is on the other side, but will the Bobcat's #3 be good enough to beat Collierville tomorrow in game 1? I think it will be Houston vs Overton with Collierville having an outside shot.

Goodpasture 14 Halls 2

Halls had way too many errors today. Can't do that in State Tournament Play. Errors (and running short on pitching) cost Halls two games today. At the first sign of trouble, in both games today, Halls layed down. They appear to be a better ball club than they showed today.

Halls shortstop is the real deal. Will be an excellent 2nd baseman at the next level. He's a player!

GP still has plenty of pitching for Thursday. GP threw off today. It's going to be an interesting day to see is GP can beat Friendship twice on Thursday to reach the Final game. It's all a matter of whether GP can answer FC's bats. GP is deeper on pitching and better on defense. FC has the edge with the bats.

Friendship looks great. FC looks the part of a state tournament champion. Heads shaved, focused, and playing good ball. If they're pitching holds up -- it might happen for them.

The pitcher that Goodpasture threw against Halls was not one of their top 4 (Lowe, Tice, Porter, Darnell) but I would hardly consider him "throwing off". I happen to know that the Goodpasture coaches think a lot of Ross Moffitt. He has the ability to beat a lot of teams and did during the season (Maryville, Portland, BGA for example). If he had not been on a team with 3 senior starters, he would have gotten a lot more innings. With Logan Darnell (lefty) and Ross Moffitt (righty), both sophomores, coming back, the Cougar pitching staff seems to be reloading. Congrats to all state tournament teams. Hope to see you in Murfreesboro next year.