Marshall County slighted by Tennessean!

Wow! The first ever state championship won by the Marshall County Softball Tigerettes! We are all so proud of them at home! But what do I see this morning when I wake up and read the tiny Tennessean article about their win? I see that someone thinks that the win was due to a controversial call? I don't think so. What call in any sport is not " controversial" ? There is always someone who's not going to like a call, whether it be a mad parent or player. What do we pay the officials for?

Then, what's next? The Two Huge Articles about the local private school that wins a state championship in Baseball. I'm proud for those young people, and appreciate that they won, but the people who get paid the report the news should do just that. The Tigerettes won because they were the superior team. They only had two runs scored on them the entire state tourney series. Their pitcher is one of the best in the state and did we read any out that in the article? No.

I just want to say that we are very proud of our girls and that they should have been treated with more respect than they got in this mornings edition of the Tennessean.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! The first ever state championship won by the Marshall County Softball Tigerettes!  We are all so proud of them at home!  But what do I see this morning when I wake up and read the tiny Tennessean article about their win?  I see that someone thinks that the win was due to a controversial call?  I don't think so.  What call in any sport is not " controversial"  ?  There is always someone who's not going to like a call, whether it be a mad parent or player.  What do we pay the officials for? 

Then, what's next?  The Two Huge Articles about the local private school that wins a state championship in Baseball.  I'm proud for those young people, and appreciate that they won, but the people who get paid the report the news should do just that.  The Tigerettes won because they were the superior team.  They only had two runs scored on them the entire state tourney series.  Their pitcher is one of the best in the state and did we read any out that in the article?  No.

I just want to say that we are very proud of our girls and that they should have been treated with more respect than they got in this mornings edition of the Tennessean.

825683636[/snapback]

You should have known that the private school,would be the one that gets the press,not the public school.

Wow! The first ever state championship won by the Marshall County Softball Tigerettes!  We are all so proud of them at home!  But what do I see this morning when I wake up and read the tiny Tennessean article about their win?  I see that someone thinks that the win was due to a controversial call?  I don't think so.  What call in any sport is not " controversial"  ?  There is always someone who's not going to like a call, whether it be a mad parent or player.  What do we pay the officials for? 

Then, what's next?  The Two Huge Articles about the local private school that wins a state championship in Baseball.  I'm proud for those young people, and appreciate that they won, but the people who get paid the report the news should do just that.  The Tigerettes won because they were the superior team.  They only had two runs scored on them the entire state tourney series.  Their pitcher is one of the best in the state and did we read any out that in the article?  No.

825683636[/snapback]

You might find out if Marshall is considered part of the Nashville coverage area, the metro Nashville teams naturally would draw more coverage, and if the game ended late that might have been all that could be written.

You should have known that the private school,would be the one that gets the press,not the public school.

825683648[/snapback]

Key word LOCAL. Like it or not the Tennessean is a Nashville paper and is going to do the lead story on a Nashville team. It sells papers. Probably 75% of the paper's sales are to Metro Nashville subscribers. The Lewisburg Tribune will cover the Tigers big (and I do mean big) win in the state. Probably put out a special edition.

825683636[/snapback]

Softball hasn't had the respect from the TSSAA or anyone as far as the Spring Ka-ching is concerned. Mississippi has had more coverage than Tennessee.

Key word LOCAL.  Like it or not the Tennessean is a Nashville paper and is going to do the lead story on a Nashville team.  It sells papers.  Probably 75% of the paper's sales are to Metro Nashville subscribers.  The Lewisburg Tribune will cover the Tigers big (and I do mean big) win in the state.  Probably put out a special edition.

825683650[/snapback]

Well, then they ought to call it the Nashville Gazette NOT the Tennessean!

Don't worry about being slighted ! Consider it an HONOR that you won a state championship!! Congratulations !Everybody who follows high school sports appreciates your accomplishment! Ther is NO disrespect of the TIGERS title amongst those of us who know !!!

THE SIZE OF THE ARTICLE WAS NOT RELLAY THE PROBLEM. I EXPECT NASHVILLE TEAMS TO GET A LITTLE MORE COVERAGE. HOWEVER, A SPORTSWRITER THAT FOCUSSES HIS ENTIRE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP ARTICLE ON ONE CALL NEEDS HELP. THE CALL WAS NOT CONTROVERSIAL. THE UMPIRE SAID SAFE AND THAT IS ALL WE CAN GO BY. THERE IS A REASON THE TIGERETTES DID NOT LOSE IN TOURNAMENT PLAY. THEY WERE THE BEST TEAM. IF THEY DONT GET THE RUNS THEN THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND A WAY LATER. THAT IS WHAT GREAT TEAMS ALWAYS DO. IF WALKER VALLEY HAD BEEN THE BETTER TEAM THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND ANOTHER WAY. THE TENNESSEAN SPORTSWRITER SHOULD HAVE FOCUSSED ON A TEAM FULL OF SUPER PLAYERS, TIMELY HITTING, AND AN UNBELIEVABLE PITCHER.

THE SIZE OF THE ARTICLE WAS NOT RELLAY THE PROBLEM.  I EXPECT NASHVILLE TEAMS TO GET A LITTLE MORE COVERAGE.  HOWEVER, A SPORTSWRITER THAT FOCUSSES HIS ENTIRE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP ARTICLE ON ONE CALL NEEDS HELP.  THE CALL WAS NOT CONTROVERSIAL.  THE UMPIRE SAID SAFE AND THAT IS ALL WE CAN GO BY.  THERE IS A REASON THE TIGERETTES DID NOT LOSE IN TOURNAMENT PLAY.  THEY WERE THE BEST TEAM.  IF THEY DONT GET THE RUNS THEN THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND A WAY LATER.  THAT IS WHAT GREAT TEAMS ALWAYS DO.  IF WALKER VALLEY HAD BEEN THE BETTER TEAM THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND ANOTHER WAY. THE TENNESSEAN SPORTSWRITER SHOULD HAVE FOCUSSED ON A TEAM FULL OF SUPER PLAYERS, TIMELY HITTING, AND AN UNBELIEVABLE PITCHER.

825684228[/snapback]

TOO bad that call was completely wrong and everyone knew it...even the fans after the game who watched the play as the people from Marshall Co. who taped the game played it back. The ball was in the glove and everyone who was there knows it. It is sad that a people will lie about something so obvious....Walker Valley was clearly the better team...they constantly showed people that they were a true team that could fight back and work together. You think you feel all sad that your team got cheated such a ripoff article how do you think WV people felt with such a ripoff call....It would have been different if you would have beaten WV fair and square, but they didnt and everyone knows what a joke it was.. You can keep telling yourself that the ump made the decision...but who would want a state championship with a fluke call? I wouldnt.....and I am not saying that WV would have even won the second game...but you know as well as everyone else that if they had been given the chance they probably would have brought it home.. Even the Marshall Co people were saying that they would rather not play WV..

Marshall Co. has a good pitcher..but i still think WV was the better team....

TOO bad that call was completely wrong and everyone knew it...even the fans after the game who watched the play as the people from Marshall Co. who taped the game played it back.  The ball was in the glove and everyone who was there knows it.  It is sad that a people will lie about something so obvious....Walker Valley was clearly the better team...they constantly showed people that they were a true team that could fight back and work together.  You think you feel all sad that your team got cheated such a ripoff article how do you think WV people felt with such a ripoff call....It would have been different if you would have beaten WV fair and square, but they didnt and everyone knows what a joke it was.. You can keep telling yourself that the ump made the decision...but who would want a state championship with a fluke call?  I wouldnt.....and I am not saying that WV would have even won the second game...but you know as well as everyone else that if they had been given the chance they probably would have brought it home..  Even the Marshall Co people were saying that they would rather not play WV..

Marshall Co. has a good pitcher..but i still think WV was the better team....

825684330[/snapback]

Walker Valley, with 1200 students, should not have been playing in AA. Maybe it all evened out.