Marshall County slighted by Tennessean!

One call 99% of the time won't beat a team and don't worry about the Tennessean. They do what they have to do to sell more papers. Congratulations to my neighbors to the NW on a fabulous season and State Champions for 2005. You kept the TSSAA AA Softball State Championship in Middle Tennessee. Tell Coach George and Monk that they better get on the ball, if they won't to keep up with the softball team.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's just one problem, you have to have the ball in the glove to get the out.  Looks safe to me.

825684226[/snapback]

Why would the catcher being making a dive towards the runner if she didnt have the ball in her glove? I dont really think that was an intelligent comment...Catcher had the ball because after the play at home was over she tried to throw down to third to get that runner out...

TOO bad that call was completely wrong and everyone knew it...even the fans after the game who watched the play as the people from Marshall Co. who taped the game played it back.  The ball was in the glove and everyone who was there knows it.  It is sad that a people will lie about something so obvious....Walker Valley was clearly the better team...they constantly showed people that they were a true team that could fight back and work together.  You think you feel all sad that your team got cheated such a ripoff article how do you think WV people felt with such a ripoff call....It would have been different if you would have beaten WV fair and square, but they didnt and everyone knows what a joke it was.. You can keep telling yourself that the ump made the decision...but who would want a state championship with a fluke call?  I wouldnt.....and I am not saying that WV would have even won the second game...but you know as well as everyone else that if they had been given the chance they probably would have brought it home..  Even the Marshall Co people were saying that they would rather not play WV..

Marshall Co. has a good pitcher..but i still think WV was the better team....

825684330[/snapback]

Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it is disappointing to finish second, especially when the loss is a

heartbreaker. We know that feeling here in Lewisburg.....we felt that way after

Lenoir City beat us twice, each time by one run, last year. It wasn't a whole lot

of fun watching whe other guys celebrate.

But we congratulated them, recognized that this time they were the better team

& made a vow then & there that we'd be back. We had some close calls go

against us that night(s). We chalked it up as being part of the game.

I thought Friday night was a really good game between two really good teams.

I tip my hat to Walker Valley for playing hard & battling to the very end. They

earned my respect when they came back from being down 5-2 with two outs

in the bottom of the seventh against Creekwood to tie the game up ( two runs

across on the same passed ball !!) and eventually win it in the bottom of the 11th.

We can argue til the cows come home whether the runner was safe or out at the plate. Lewisburg fans will lean towards safe, Walker Valley fans will lean toward

out. And nothing I've seen since, TV replay, pictures, ( even the one from the

website in your area) gives me conclusive proof she was tagged out. I'll just have

to rely on the opinion of the one closest to the play with the best angle, that

being the home plate umpire, and he said SAFE.

That was one of many big plays in the ballgame. But to say that was the ballgame

is wrong. You can't speculate as to what would have happened if the call had

gone the other way. After all, that would have only made it two outs with a runner

still down at third. The next girl may have hit it out of the park in that situation

instead of popping out......we'll never know.

WV had a runner aboard in both the sixth and seventh innings representing the

tying run, but in both cases they were shut down by a very tough pitcher and

a couple of nice defensive plays. So you can't say you didn't have your chances.

And had there been a bottom of the seventh, Lewisburg had the top of the order

up who I believe had a combined four hits among 1,2,& 3 and two more hits from

the cleanup hitter. Would they have hit in the seventh ? Again, we'll never know.

What I do know is that in 2005, just like in 2004, the best team won.

I still salute Lenoir City for their accomplishment in '04.

I tip my hat to Walker Valley for battling back time after time to make it to

where they did. Not only did they win a runner-up trophy they earned a lot of

respect.

And I proudly salute my favorite team, the Lewisburg Tigerettes, the 2005

state champions. A perfect 10-0 run in postseason where they gave up only

seven runs in that stretch. Paij Lintz allows only two runs all week long in

four wins in state tourney play & both of those were unearned. And time after

time when Lewisburg had to have a timely hit or a big defensive play, it seemed

like it was a different Tigerette each game who did so. That is what team is

all about.

The best team did win the state tournament.....and there is a state championship

trophy taking up residense in Lewisburg that backs that up.

As for the Tennessean, which it was this thread was supposed to be about,

they blew it......bigtime. Shame on them.

Edited by tigerman

TOO bad that call was completely wrong and everyone knew it...even the fans after the game who watched the play as the people from Marshall Co. who taped the game played it back.  The ball was in the glove and everyone who was there knows it.  It is sad that a people will lie about something so obvious....Walker Valley was clearly the better team...they constantly showed people that they were a true team that could fight back and work together.  You think you feel all sad that your team got cheated such a ripoff article how do you think WV people felt with such a ripoff call....It would have been different if you would have beaten WV fair and square, but they didnt and everyone knows what a joke it was.. You can keep telling yourself that the ump made the decision...but who would want a state championship with a fluke call?  I wouldnt.....and I am not saying that WV would have even won the second game...but you know as well as everyone else that if they had been given the chance they probably would have brought it home..  Even the Marshall Co people were saying that they would rather not play WV..

825684330[/snapback]

Yeah, it was a bad call. Everyone knows it! What are you going to do about it now? Quit your crying and get over it. No one seems to remember the way that Walker Valley got to the finals. In the Creekwood game, there were two bad calls that led to a victory for the Mustangs. If Walker Valley was such a superior team, you wouldn't have lost to Creekwood in the first game of the tournament. MC beat Creekwood in regions 4-1! Walker Valley was a great team, and it was a bad call, but get over yourself and let the Tigerettes enjoy their state title. I wish that the umpire wouldn't have made that call, so they could have beaten the Mustangs fair and square, like I know they could have!!!!!! There's a reason that MC went into the championship game without a loss! They were the best team there! Deal with it. How classy of the Mustangs to run out of the park yelling "We're the state champs!" Did they not realize that they weren't playing for the championship???? And shame on the mentally retarded man who showed the playback to the Walker Valley fans and players! Great job Tigerettes! See you at the state tournament next year!!!!

Wow! The first ever state championship won by the Marshall County Softball Tigerettes!  We are all so proud of them at home!  But what do I see this morning when I wake up and read the tiny Tennessean article about their win?  I see that someone thinks that the win was due to a controversial call?  I don't think so.  What call in any sport is not " controversial"  ?  There is always someone who's not going to like a call, whether it be a mad parent or player.  What do we pay the officials for? 

Then, what's next?  The Two Huge Articles about the local private school that wins a state championship in Baseball.  I'm proud for those young people, and appreciate that they won, but the people who get paid the report the news should do just that.  The Tigerettes won because they were the superior team.  They only had two runs scored on them the entire state tourney series.  Their pitcher is one of the best in the state and did we read any out that in the article?  No.

I just want to say that we are very proud of our girls and that they should have been treated with more respect than they got in this mornings edition of the Tennessean.

825683636[/snapback]

Im sorry but we have a picture of it in the paper that a fan took and the girl was out by 3 feet. Walker Valley was the better team and should have won.

Im sorry but we have a picture of it in the paper that a fan took and the girl was out by 3 feet. Walker Valley was the better team and should have won.

825684532[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I don't understand how you think

Walker Valley was the better team. It might or

it might not have been a bad call at the plate

( the Lewisburg paper will probably have a

picture tomorrow showing she was safe by

three feet ), but even if it was, that was not

the ballgame. It came in the fifth inning. It

would have only been the second out in the

inning. Lewisburg still would have had the

tying run at third base & who knows what

would have happened next. And don't forget

if there had been a bottom of the seventh,

Lewisburg was at the top of their productive

order.

What makes you think you were the better

team? If you were, you would taken advantage

of game tying situations you had in both the

sixth & seventh innings. If you were you

would not been outhit 8-5, with SEVEN different

Tigerettes getting hits. If you were, Paij Lintz

would not have struck out ten batters, while

Lewisburg only struck out twice. Other than the

fourth inning you never had a runner get to third

base. Do I need to continue ?

WV had a GOOD, gutsy ballclub that gained a

lot of respect with their never give up attitude.

That's how they got to the finals in the first

place.

But to come on here and say they were the

best team is just flat wrong. And it really takes

away the good feelings your team should have

about themselves for battling back to a second

place finish.

On May 27th in Southhaven, Mississippi, the

BEST team won.Period. And there's a state

championship trophy in Lewisburg that backs

it up !!!!

825684532[/snapback]

Shoulda...woulda...coulda...if you want to get into that WV shoulda been in AAA this year. :D

Edited by Antwan

Marshall Co. was the better team.some people would say that WV was getting what it asked for by whining about the umpires at EVERY game.The umps cost them every run scored against the team according to the coaches.Had Creek Wood not had a mental breakdown in the bottom of the 7th with one out I guess the umpires would have cost them that game to at 5-1.I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that CW out hit WV 14-7. MC goes out and plays hard every play of every inning and they deserve the crown!!!!!!!!

Marshall Co. was the better team.some people would say that WV was getting what it asked for by whining about the umpires at EVERY game.The umps cost them every run scored against the team according to the coaches.Had Creek Wood not had a mental breakdown in the bottom of the 7th with one out I guess the umpires would have cost them that game to at 5-1.I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that CW out hit WV 14-7. MC goes out and plays hard every play of every inning and they deserve the crown!!!!!!!!

825684743[/snapback]

Everybody needs to let it go.... The tournament is over and Marshall Co. won... You cant change the out come anyway.... Let them have there victory they deserve it.... Everybody needs to start looking at next year....

825684330[/snapback]

Too Bad Walker Valley cant pull off what marshall co did by coming in 2 then winning it all the next year since they are moving to aaa in the same class as red bank beech & soddy