Eliz. Star Article On Spring Fling Needs

acdcfan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe at most fields (I'm not going to claim anything about any other site, I was at Bolton) .. we played at around 1:00, they worked the field for an hour after the game then we played again.. btw.. i dont think bartlett losers played at barlett.. they were playing after us on bolton.. not all venues worked as stated above..

825684300[/snapback]

That was the only exception.

I promise you if West Tennessee would have to travel to Northeast Tennessee (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) for any State Tournament there would be more crying and excuses than this message board could handle (I'm sure Memphis, Murf., Chatt. do a great job hosting State Tournaments, that isn't my point). You guys just cant understand what we have to deal with up here. You cant understand it because you have never delt with what we have to deal with every year. You do realize that it is closer to Canada from Bristol, TN than it is to Memphis.

I love my state and am proud of our accomplishments. I just want things to be fair. Like classifications. Why is football the only sport with five classifications. In District 1 AAA Dobyns-Bennett or Science Hill have won the District Championship in Basketball every year since 1990. Twice Tennessee High, the other city school in the conference, made it to the state. Baseball, they have won it every year except in 2003 and 2004. Those two schools have a minimum of 600 more students than any other school in their conference. How is that fair? We are all playing for third place.

The TSSAA needs to be consistant with all of their policies and actually listen to the schools AD's and Coaches when they have something to recommend. The TSSAA should be totally reorganized. As far as the Spring Fling, they need to understand that about a million people live northeast of Knoxville and we deserve the same consideration as the rest of the state.

I know I'm crying and a little jealous, ok a lot jealous, but the current systems has failed. It is time for a change.

You do realize that it is closer to Canada from Bristol, TN than it is to Memphis.

825685254[/snapback]

Bzzt...wrong. It's 598 miles to Fort Erie, Ontario, which is the closest Canadistani city to Bristol. It's 503 miles from Bristol to Memphis.

I love my state and am proud of our accomplishments.  I just want things to be fair.  Like classifications.  Why is football the only sport with five classifications.  In District 1 AAA Dobyns-Bennett or Science Hill have won the District Championship in Basketball every year since 1990.  Twice Tennessee High, the other city school in the conference, made it to the state.  Baseball, they have won it every year except in 2003 and 2004.  Those two schools have a minimum of 600 more students than any other school in their conference.  How is that fair?  We are all playing for third place. 

825685254[/snapback]

Because football is the sport where number of total players (and therefore school size) matters the most. I've seen 1A basketball teams (or equivalent from other states) that can compete with good AAA basketball teams. It's rare, and I haven't seen one that could hang with a AAA title contender, but I have seen some that can stay with good teams. I haven't seen a A or AA football team that could even dream of staying on the field with Riverdale, Maryville, Melrose, etc.

The TSSAA needs to be consistant with all of their policies and actually listen to the schools AD's and Coaches when they have something to recommend.  The TSSAA should be totally reorganized.  As far as the Spring Fling, they need to understand that about a million people live northeast of Knoxville and we deserve the same consideration as the rest of the state.

I know I'm crying and a little jealous, ok a lot jealous, but the current systems has failed.  It is time for a change.

825685254[/snapback]

Well, here's the thing...what would help that? If it's in Murfreeboro instead of Memphis, you've got a 5 hour drive instead of 8...still requires hotel, taking off work, and a lot of gas.

I do agree, there's room for improvement in the TSSAA overall, but I don't think you'll find any equivalent state governing body that is really well-liked in that state.

Bzzt...wrong. It's 598 miles to Fort Erie, Ontario, which is the closest Canadistani city to Bristol. It's 503 miles from Bristol to Memphis.

Bzzt...wrong

Bristol, TN

To:

Cleveland, OH

Driving Distance: 450 miles Driving Time: 8 hours, 11 minutes

Cleveland to canadian border is 30 miles through Lake Erie for a total of

480 Miles about 50 less than Memphis

Edited by doodle_bug_1111

Bzzt...wrong

Bristol, TN

To:

Cleveland, OH

Driving Distance: 450 miles Driving Time: 8 hours, 11 minutes

Cleveland to canadian border is 30 miles through Lake Erie for a total of

480 Miles about 50 less than Memphis

825685286[/snapback]

I'm curious how exactly you're planning to drive across Lake Erie.

I just wanted to inflict my 2 cents worth. Nobody is saying that Unaka isn't glad or proud to represent our region but the ride on the cheese wagon is a long and hard one. Since we are a 1A school the funding just isn't there for sports or much else so they weren't able to rent a Green Coach, not an excuse but truth. I know from experience that you can drive to Murfreesboro down and back in one day and that can't happen going to Memphis, so alot of parents and friends can't take the additional days off since you really can't plan on winning until you actually do. I just feel that TSSAA should look at a more central sight for both ends of TN. With gas and expenses being what they are it just isn't economical to make these events so far to travel to as well as many school districts looking at cuts and they usually cut into sports budgets. Unaka has enjoyed great success for the past three years in making it to the elite eight in baseball but unfortunately they've had to make the trip to Memphis each year instead of middle of the state. Chambers might not have worded everything exactly correct but I think he meant well. Just an opinion.

You are telling me how wrong I am about the Canada statement (as the crow flys I'm right). So I was 95 miles off. You missed the point.

Because football is the sport where number of total players (and therefore school size) matters the most. I've seen 1A basketball teams (or equivalent from other states) that can compete with good AAA basketball teams. It's rare, and I haven't seen one that could hang with a AAA title contender, but I have seen some that can stay with good teams. I haven't seen a A or AA football team that could even dream of staying on the field with Riverdale, Maryville, Melrose, etc.

Yeah when a A team does that they make a movie about them. You are talking about exceptions. I'm talking about the rule. By the way, how many teams can stay on the field with those guys? Be honest, not many.

Well, here's the thing...what would help that? If it's in Murfreeboro instead of Memphis, you've got a 5 hour drive instead of 8...still requires hotel, taking off work, and a lot of gas.

I'm saying how about you guys drive 5-10 hours, spend the gas, and hotel money for a change. We are tired of doing it.

I do agree, there's room for improvement in the TSSAA overall, but I don't think you'll find any equivalent state governing body that is really well-liked in that state.

825685270[/snapback]

You have proven my point when I said you guys (west tn) dont understand what we have to go through up here.

First off, I think the city of Memphis will be glad to give up Spring Fling. I understand the sports authority down there lost money on the venture.

Having an elimination day is generally a good idea at any tournament. Anyone that's 2 and out will spend one less night on hotels than if they got up and played at 10:00 the next morning and get put out. This is one TSSAA decision I support. More money could be made with more evening games, but I imagine trips back home for the losing teams are the consideration there.

While the rotation plan has merit, I wonder why Nashville doesn't want to submit a bid without the condition of rotation. Is it the length of the contract or what? I don't think TSSAA can expect the bids to be nearly as high as what Memphis submitted the last time. While I think Nashville is more centrally located and has the facilities to host Spring Fling, Murfreesboro is a nice second choice.

First off, I think the city of Memphis will be glad to give up Spring Fling.  I understand the sports authority down there lost money on the venture.

825685547[/snapback]

They lost money, yes, but they aren't in business to make money directly. Don't expect us to not put in another strong bid.