Elizabethton Coaches

CountryBoy4Life

It is about politics! Roper was hired to get rid of Alexander. Mr. Alexander is not and easy man for some to like and I am sure he has done some things wrong as any of us has. BUT he is at his job for the kids. He is not diplomatic, he is not a yes man. The timing of his removal totally has the smell of politics and politics only. He has had a long standing fued with Sams, and Richardson and they are playing the hand they want.

Sams, Richardson could care less about my kids our your kids they are all about the goodolboy system in this town. Each educator coach should stand on there own merit.

But it doesnt work that way, and it for sure wont work that way after Alexander is gone.

Roper found earlier this year that there is no nepitisim in the city school system. That is a huge joke 60 to 70 persent of the people in the system are related to each other or some proment person or family in town.

I agree some changes needed to be made in the coaching staff at ehs. And that probably woukd not have happened with E. Alexander in place. But removing a principle that 75 to 80 percent of the kids love may hurt the school more than these coaches ever could.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know the whats or whys of Alexander's reassignment.  From news reports, he was not told either.  He does deserve an explanation.  Roper had to know that he must be prepared to defend his decision publicly.  He seems to be a guy who makes measured decisions.  The last supt fought this battle and lost.  Who will win this round?

825686438[/snapback]

Roper needs to move on. To high priced a feller for us folks. Not sure about what all is going on down there, but I stand by my 'pricey' statement. Elizabethton is a small school.

I am glad that school is out...... the kids will see and hear enough as it is. IF you can get rid of anyone without an explanation (if that is so), then maybe the school board and Roper should stand warned. These are elected persons and Roper is a year into his contract out of three (from what I understand). Make your vote count next time around. There needs to be some changes on the hill also. OR maybe there should be some resignations up there. At the very least, it is time we recieved some answers concerning the goings on.

Yes, each school employee should be accountable, but maybe I was wrong, Krich. This may be more than an internet scandle?

Edited by GLee

I would have to agree with you GLee. This is more than an internet scandle. Roper wanted all the power, now with Alexander out of the way, he can take it. He got Alexander to fire coaches to make Alexander look bad so he could then fire Alexander and not make people wonder. I don't think that approach will work in a small town like this. Everything is politics, it is pitiful.

I chuckle at some of this bantering. Some spout stuff off as fact, when they are just speculating. I'm not going to play that game. I would say though that when the dust clears, those with open minds might just think the high school needed the housecleaning. You cannot have a subordinate dictating policy to his superior. The school is bigger than one person. Roper will have to defend what he has done. Perhaps Alexander will as well. Its not going to be pretty. I guess thats why they call us Cowtown...........

By the way, EA fired Hardin as BB coach earlier this week. Roper had nothing to do with that move. And according to reports, the TH firing was unrelated to the McKinney firing. Its all as clear as mud.

Edited by CyclonePride

CyclonePride, that is exactly what I am saying. Alexander had only one thing against Hardin, some parents complaining. Correct if I am wrong, don't parents always complain? Is that really a reason to fire someone? I don't think so. You might think Roper had nothing to do with that firing, but realize this, when parents complain about coaches, they usually go to central office and not to Alexander.

But CountryBoy, it was EA who made the call to fire TH. Not Roper. This from TH's own statement in this mornings JC Press. There is much more to this than meets the eye. Complaining parents, alone, dont get you fired, usually.

The test of Roper's tenure is riding on whether he can back up his firing with proof.

But CountryBoy, it was EA who made the call to fire TH.  Not Roper.  This from TH's own statement in this mornings JC Press.  There is much more to this than meets the eye.  Complaining parents, alone, dont get you fired, usually. 

The test of Roper's tenure is riding on whether he can back up his firing with proof.

825686569[/snapback]

I would say you are right. Roper better have the proof for the puddin or he has turned a small army against him.

But CountryBoy, it was EA who made the call to fire TH.  Not Roper.  This from TH's own statement in this mornings JC Press.  There is much more to this than meets the eye.  Complaining parents, alone, dont get you fired, usually. 

825686569[/snapback]

It was my understanding that a few years ago, we lost a dandy baseball coach because of parents. Wish we had him back.... God bless Coach Ellis.

GLee, I agree. Coach Ellis was not only a great coach, he was a great teacher, father, friend and member of the community. The big Kahuna they called him. Im sure the administration would love to have a man of his character and ability to take over the baseball program today.

The people of eliz. deserve an explaination. The kids will demand one! The parents should. I hope that the folks up on the hill know they have made us the laughing stock of the state and surrounding area.

I know some of the coaches at ehs, they need to let the papers know that not all coaches were involved in what ever went on. The Star article and some of the stuff in the Press, even looks bad on the inocent. The board and the supers office needs to let people know that not all are involved.

I hope the Monday meeting does not turn into a mess. I dont believe the people will hear the truth.

Couple of comments. Mondays meeting will be a mess. If Roper is smart, he will have a press release ready that goes into some detail about the recent actions. Ed's supporters won't be satisfied no matter what, but thats not who Roper needs to justify his actions to. The board and the community in general deserve to know the underlying reasons. I suspect with Ed, the overriding reason will be insubordination. He has been pubicly critical of Roper from day one. Like him or not, he is Ed's boss. For now that is! If Ed has three votes on the school board, then Roper is gone, if the city can stomach a buyout of his contract. If Ed doesnt have three votes, then Ed's reassignment will stand cause I dont see Roper caving on this. I just hope for the sake of the system that whatever happens, its over quick.