Who's the best player to come out of your school?

bhsOL

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best player to come out of Mt. Juliet is Levi Brown.  If he had not have graduated early he would probably be playing for Ole Miss or the Gamecocks instead of Richmond.  Even so, they are talking of starting him as a true freshmen because he is doing really well.

825697599[/snapback]

Sorry, you ain't even close..............Marcus Green DL at Ole Miss and probably the best one never went to college 6' 4" "Ruby" Majors RB/LBer (could have played on Sunday). Ask the great Gallatin teams about Ruby..........

Robert G. "Bobby" Cifers was the greatest football player in Dobyns-Bennett history. Cifers was the national prep scoring champion in 1938 and 1939 ( breaking the national record in'38 that stood until 1953). He was the leading rusher at UT as a junior and would have been a front runner for the 1943 Heisman Trophy if the SEC had played football that year. He was also the NCAA punting champion as a junior. His pro career was shorten by WWII but in the 4 years he was in the NFL he was a star. He lead the Lions in scoring in '46 and the Steelers in rushing in '48. He still holds the NFL record for the highest punting average in a single game! He was the first Tennessee prep player who was recruited nationwide and articles on him appeared in newpapers as far away as Chicago and LA. He was even featured in the Saturday Evening Post. The TSSAA elected him as the track athlete of the century because he won 13 different individual or team track titles( he actually did not even compete in track one season) during his career. Dobyns-Bennett has been fortune to have produced a great number of successful college and pro football players over the years but Cifers is the greatest to have worn the Maroon & Gray!

Edited by biglon68

Guest catfish-hunter
CATFISH, COME ON NOW. TANT WASN'T EVEN THE BEST PLAYER TO HAVE PLAYED FOR HARPETH MUCH LESS THE COUNTY. ELLIOT WAS BETTER, BUT NOT AS BIG.

JERIMIAH LIGON IS THE BEST BACK TO EVER PLAY IN CHEATHAM COUNTY.

JUST NOT TOO SMART.

825719729[/snapback]

The thread is titled "best player to come out of your high school", NOT the best player while still in high school thumb Read the title of your threads before you post genius. That means players from a high school that succeed on the next level. Exactly what in the world has Ligon done since he graduated, or did he even graduate???? The highlight of his post high school career was getting close and personal with his cell mate "Bubba" :):)

You my friend are the one who needs to check his smarts because apparently you can't even read!!!

I'm just wondering who are the best football players to come out of each school and maybe what they did athletically after high school.

Riverdale:

Fernando Bryant ('91-'94).... U of Alabama.... Jax. Jaguars, Detroit Lions

Eric Locke ('94-'97).... U of Alababma, U of Tennessee

Dennis Harrison ('71-'74).... Vanderbilt.... Phil. Eagles, Atl. Falcons, SF 49ers

825685916[/snapback]

Eric Locke, along with Juicy is nothing but trash. This is one thing that bama and ut fans can agree on.

Bruce Wilkerson from Loudon

He was All - American at Tennessee.

He played for the Raiders, and recieved a super bowl ring with the packers.

Remember Travis Cozart at Lenior City? This guy was in the hunt for the starting RB postion against Jay Graham. He got into trouble, and from what I hear is pretty much the worst man around. He gave his child drugs.

Edited by fridaynightfever4ever

A player forgotten out of Mt. Juliet is Tim Bryant, Class of 1980. Highly recruited by SEC schools, esp. UT, but ended up at Vanderbilt. Started at LB as a true freshman, but a shoulder injury (if I recall) his sophmore year ended his college career. A headhunter on the field, could hit like no other.

Westmoreland played last year for Cleveland.  To my knowledge he's not on the Brown's roster this season.  He played mostly specials teams last year.

Eric has had some injuries that have really hampered his pro career.

Eddie Moore plays for the Dolphins and is expected to compete for a starting position at OLB this year.  With Thomas and Seau getting older I expect Eddie to get every chance to start this year.

A few others from Marion:

Pumpy Tudors - UTC - All American in college, named to the ALL TIME Team at UTC.  Went to camp with the Eagles, punted well, but was beaten out by the vetran Jeff Feagles.  Was in the Bills camp in Parcells first year.  Was cut early.

In HS was all state at three diferent positions - RB, P and either KR or DB I can't remember now.

Eddie Brown - UT - best known for getting his teeth knocked out while blocking a punt against Memphis (I think).  Played Saftey and had a long career in the NFL and USFL.  Led the NFL in Kick Returns in 1973.  Played in the Super Bowl with the Rams and I think was on a USFL champion team also.

There have been tons more from both of these programs.  Some really great player from two programs with lots of tradition.

825689137[/snapback]

Eddie Baker was also a stand out at Marion County High who later went on to play for The Big Orange. My understanding is he is now a pro scout.

Bruce Wilkerson from Loudon

He was All - American at Tennessee.

He played for the Raiders, and recieved a super bowl ring with the packers.

Remember Travis Cozart at Lenior City?  This guy was in the hunt for the starting RB postion against Jay Graham.  He got into trouble, and from what I hear is pretty much the worst man around. He gave his child drugs.

825720144[/snapback]

George Fritts from Lenoir City played Tackle at Clemson and then for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1945.

Does anyone know how he is related to Stan Fritts who played at Oak ridge, NC State and two seasons in the NFL (1975-1976 Bengals)?