What has happened?

:) I have been away for a while. Just looking over the results of the Tennessee teams in the Nationals. What in the world has happened? Tennessee use to be the most feared and hated state at the Nationals. It wasn't unusual for 3 or 4 Tennessee teams to be in the sweet 16 in every age bracket. Am I missing something?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you are basing your post on the 12U results, maybe I can help to shed some light on why things look so bad down in Amarillo.

The Tennessee Team Pride and Tennessee Lady Tigers were both in probably the two toughest pools in the entire tournament. Both pools featured 2 State Champions (1 of whom was seeded from the year before), 1 State Runner-Up, and then the Tennessee team. I was told that both teams played pitifully and with no heart, which would explain their double-digit losses.

The Tennessee Lady Trotters should have beaten the Michigan Rage, but just wouldn't put them away when they had the chance. If they had just went ahead and finished them off, then they would have been in the Championship Bracket, instead of the ShootOut/Classic Bracket.

The Cookeville Crushers didn't come to play until they had to face the defending National Champions and by then it was too late for them.

The Memphis Elite chose a bad game to be lazy in as they should have beaten the East Bay Xplosion on the first day. Because of that loss, they also ended up in the bracket with all the other loser's from pool play.

KGC is doing their thing, which is winning ballgames and doing it their way. They were also in a pretty tough pool with two teams that gave them some really good ballgames. They are Tennessee's last hope to place at the 12U Nationals this year.

These are just things that I have been told from some very reliable people in Amarillo as to why Tennessee is doing as badly as they are. Maybe they will all do better next year.

Well, if you are basing your post on the 12U results, maybe I can help to shed some light on why things look so bad down in Amarillo.

The Tennessee Team Pride and Tennessee Lady Tigers were both in probably the two toughest pools in the entire tournament.  Both pools featured 2 State Champions (1 of whom was seeded from the year before), 1 State Runner-Up, and then the Tennessee team.  I was told that both teams played pitifully and with no heart, which would explain their double-digit losses.

The Tennessee Lady Trotters should have beaten the Michigan Rage, but just wouldn't put them away when they had the chance.  If they had just went ahead and finished them off, then they would have been in the Championship Bracket, instead of the ShootOut/Classic Bracket.

The Cookeville Crushers didn't come to play until they had to face the defending National Champions and by then it was too late for them.

The Memphis Elite chose a bad game to be lazy in as they should have beaten the East Bay Xplosion on the first day.  Because of that loss, they also ended up in the bracket with all the other loser's from pool play.

KGC is doing their thing, which is winning ballgames and doing it their way.  They were also in a pretty tough pool with two teams that gave them some really good ballgames.  They are Tennessee's last hope to place at the 12U Nationals this year.

These are just things that I have been told from some very reliable people in Amarillo as to why Tennessee is doing as badly as they are.  Maybe they will all do better next year.

825697059[/snapback]

Pt guard 12, I'm one of your biggest fans but I have to take exception to one of your points on this one. Being down here and seeing the actual games and actual teams gives one a little different perspective. The Memphis Elite was leading the X-Bay Explosion at half but it was very obvious they were a very good team. They played very tight man to man the entire game as did all of the teams in our pool. Being a California team they were very quick and athletic, and capable of lighting it up from the outside which they did in the second half. While we could have beat that team, it was no "lazy" loss as they earned it. Comparing scores in a national can be deceiving, as the Explosion only beat the Clearwater Green by one, and we beat them by 18. We had a tough pool as did some of the other Tn teams, and looking at some of the teams who did make it to bracket, it is obvious 2-3 of our teams in additon to KGC are good enough to be in bracket. But as you well know in Nationals, luck sometimes is as important as skill. And playing 2 California teams on the first day, including Beyond the Rim which is as solid a team and overall program as I've seen (playing for 10u championship, 11u champions) and last year's runnerup in this age group after winning it the year before, was a tough task we were not up to this year.

Pitino, Last year the 15's win the national championship. Look for two teams to possibly be in the elite eight--- Tn Flight and Team Pride, with a possibility of another TN Team doing well this year in the 16's. Also, don't be surprised if Shelbyville's 15's do great in the nationals. Also a TN team was playing in the YBOA finals but I don't know how they did....... Well, keep up with us next week in Orlando and wish us luck

:) I have been away for a while.  Just looking over the results of the Tennessee teams in the Nationals.  What in the world has happened?  Tennessee use to be the most feared and hated state at the Nationals.  It wasn't unusual for 3 or 4 Tennessee teams to be in the sweet 16 in every age bracket.  Am I missing something?

825697028[/snapback]

Are you forgetting the TN Team Pride 9U girls--didn't they end up 3rd? Also in the 10U age group I think the FCA Lady Eagles out of West TN did well. And the 13U Nationals are yet to come with some very strong TN teams. In that age group the Team Pride won 1st at state against a tough West TN Lady Tigers team who could very likely win it all at Nationals. And Shelbyville is tougher this year than ever and should put forth a strong showing. Hopefully you will be able to put your mind at ease after the 13U and 16U National tournaments! :)

Edited by martell

Pitino, Last year the 15's win the national championship. Look for two teams to possibly be in the elite eight--- Tn Flight and Team Pride, with a possibility of another TN Team doing well this year in the 16's. Also, don't be surprised if Shelbyville's 15's do great in the nationals.  Also a TN team was playing in the YBOA finals but I don't know how they did....... Well, keep up with us next week in Orlando and wish us luck

825697125[/snapback]

Well good luck to Lil Shooter. Congratulations for signing with MTSU. She will do well, cause she always has. Hope she breaks all the records at Bradley this year. I will look back in about a week or so to see how everything turns out in AAU. I had just looked over the younger age groups and didn't see much success like the old days. Maybe things will level out. If you go to the dog tracks, pick 3-4-7 on a trifecta. See ya, Let me hear from you.

Pt guard 12, I'm one of your biggest fans but I have to take exception to one of your points on this one.  Being down here and seeing the actual games and actual teams gives one a little different perspective.  The Memphis Elite was leading the X-Bay Explosion at half but it was very obvious they were a very good team.  They played very tight man to man the entire game as did all of the teams in our pool.  Being a California team they were very quick and athletic, and capable of lighting it up from the outside which they did in the second half.  While we could have beat that team, it was no "lazy" loss as they earned it.  Comparing scores in a national can be deceiving, as the Explosion only beat the Clearwater Green by one, and we beat them by 18.  We had a tough pool as did some of the other Tn teams, and looking at some of the teams who did make it to bracket, it is obvious 2-3 of our teams in additon to KGC are good enough to be in bracket.  But as you well know in Nationals, luck sometimes is as important as skill.  And playing 2 California teams on the first day, including Beyond the Rim which is as solid a team and overall program as I've seen (playing for 10u championship, 11u champions) and last year's runnerup in this age group after winning it the year before, was a tough task we were not up to this year.

825697120[/snapback]

Ok, here is what I was told:

Memphis was up 3 (maybe 4) at halftime. EBX comes out and hits a couple of shots to take the lead and Memphis just pretty much stopped playing them. Players were walking back on defense, which led to some easy baskets as EBX just got down the floor and waited for the quick little guard to just throw them the ball. By the time their coach was able to pick them back up, it was too late and they ended up losing by 10. Obviously, I wasn't there and I'm just going on heresay, so I trust that you know how your own team played. Good luck to yall in the Classic Bracket, I'm expecting you to do pretty well there.

Edited by ptguard12

Perhaps we can talk Eddie Clinton into having two AAU Nationals-one for the Southern Pacific region (bottom half of California) and another for the rest of the United States. If that were the case, the results for the past several years would look dramatically different in the younger age groups. Now that Southern Cal has caught on to the girls' AAU thing, it will only make the rest of us better as we strive to compete. No reason to get too twisted up in the result, just enjoy the journey!!

Pitino,

You have to realize that most teams attend nationals for the experience, enjoyment and pageantry of being at a national level tournament, competing for a national championship title is secondary for some.

825697241[/snapback]

Going and not competing for a National title is crazy.This whole world is based on competition and if you do not seek a National title if you make it there I do not want any part of it.Are they going to quit keeping score so there are no loosers?

Edited by 202003