Ooltewah vs. Cookeville

ImaOWL

I certainly didn't mean to make this confrontational, just giving my opinion.

I liked the Cookeville coaching staff and their kids. They play really hard and seemed to execute really well. I just question whether they have enough talent in their depth to be a real contender this season.

I do, in all sincerity, wish them the absolute best this year.

825714758[/snapback]

But Tank, what do you think's going to happen next Friday night??

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Tank, what do you think's going to happen next Friday night??

825714822[/snapback]

Alright Grad, don't start none, and there won't be none! :angry:

Dude, are you up for a friendly meet before the game, or not? Wife, kids, family, and some of the crew are all coming, so it won't be too bad. My wife is in charge anyway! :D PM me if you want to try it. We are the two elders here on this one, and we should be able to keep our young hooligans in check for a little bit! :D

And yes, I'm talking about you too, Fuggly! thumb

hey now from what i hear it was a good day for the cavs. you cant blame trickery on a scoring drive, its part of football. apparently OR is not the #2 caliber as advertised. but i wasnt there. well now, goalline posted, he usually doesnt, bet he just caught some spare time in between his "AD" work. haha. well if we could get some "who shined in this scrimmage" it would be great. a 5 hour drive is hard to make for a big scrimmage. hope the cavs are getting better because they will be ready for ohs, double j will have them in that mindset. along with the best oline coach "motivational speaker" in my playing days. fugs knows what im talking about. oh and coach i still dont know where i'm staying but i will definitely be strolling that line of scrimmage come friday night. GO CAVS!

well apparently cookeville was destroyed by oak ridge in their scrimmage today 42-14..what does everyone think about this and does it change anyones thoughts on next friday's game?

825714724[/snapback]

Anyone who knows Cookeville football and Coach J should know that he never shows all his cards in srimages,especially when they could have been scouted. He is looking to get his players experience. Cookeville starters did match up with Oak Ridge. A couple of long offensive drives (fake punt and all) looked impressive. Oak Ridge is a good football team and deserves their ranking, but I know the Cavs will be right up in the mix this year. If Ooltewah underestimates the Cavs, then it will be lights out.

underestimating the cavs?give me a break. the cavs have been on the owls minds sense spring practice. the owls have prepared relentlessly for this ball game, and to think that the owls are taking this game lightly is absolutely absurd.

Prediction:

Ooltewah 28

Cavs: 21

Advantage for the Owls: SPEED on both sides of the ball.

underestimating the cavs?give me a break. the cavs have been on the owls minds sense spring practice. the owls have prepared relentlessly for this ball game, and to think that the owls are taking this game lightly is absolutely absurd.

Prediction:

Ooltewah 28

Cavs: 21

Advantage for the Owls: SPEED on both sides of the ball.

825715284[/snapback]

Coach Monroe didn't get those rings by taking anyone lightly! You don't get anywhere in football by underestimating another team. He'll have the Owls ready for us, we already know that. Double J will have our guys ready for the Owls too. This is going to be a great game! thumb

Underestimating gets you one in the loss column.

Just for the record, I never said anything about Ooltewah underestimating Cookeville, nobody heard me say it, and I want to speak to my attorney! :lol:

This one is a really tough call!!!

Last week I had been leaning toward Cookeville. Seeing the scrimmage outcome against Oak Ridge, I'm starting to have a few doubts. Let me see...

1. Both schools return a ton of seniors; I'm not sure I would really give an edge to either one, because you can only put the top ones on the field.

2. Both schools had good seasons last year and made the playoffs, indicating they will both have strong seasons again this year.

3. Cookeville went further in the playoffs, but from what I have been told they lost some key leaders on the team and are still looking for someone to step up. Ooltewah on the other hand, finished last year a little weakly. Again a toss up.

4. Both teams have great coaches who have one state championships at other schools, but Coach J at Cookeville has his system already established; Monroe is just getting his started at Ooltewah. ADVANTAGE: Cookeville

5. The game is being played at Ooltewah and they have very high expectations. ADVANTAGE: Ooltewah.

6. Experience: Toss up.

7. Speed: ADVANTAGE Ooltewah... they have loads of speed any many positions.

8. Offensive Line: Toss up. Both teams have many returning starters; Abraham from Ooltewah is a returning all stater.

9. Linebackers: ADVANTAGE: Ooltewah. Good chance that two of their backers are all staters this year.

10. Skill positions: ADVANTAGE: Ooltewah. Speed (again); returning quarterback who is vastly improved; four very strong running backs, one of which is one of the better ones in the state (Caldwell). Cookeville lost their quarterback and they don't have anyone on the level of Caldwell in the backfield.

11. Special teams: ADVANTAGE: Cookeville. Ooltewah was average last year and they lost Gregory; I just don't believe their that strong in this area. I understand that Cookeville had pretty good special teams last year.

12. Intangibles: Early game is an advantage to Cookeville; large crowd is an advantage to Ooltewah; turnovers, maybe a little advantage to Cookeville; depth is even... overall a toss up.

So in the end; this one I think right now is still too close to call. Although, just reviewing the points above, I think I might now be leaning toward Ooltewah. My final call will come by mid week.

This is a going to be a great game for anyone to come see. You just don't have that many games with this calibur of football being played this early in the season. Good luck to both teams.

The Owls will always receive the nod in pre-season. Just like in baseball this past year. The Owls were expected to defeat Cookeville handily in the first game of the season, yet the Cavs went home the winners.

I am not a Joslin fan, but he is a good game day coach and if he can get some players to step up, they should play their smash mouth football and defeat the Owls.

Hey coach, I forgot that Ooltewah is on eastern time. I'll prolly leave around 2ish central time. Don't worry too much about the scrimmage. I thought they played well. Coach J, IMO, is trying to see how much depth he has got on the team, so he knows who the go to guys are going to be if someone goes down.

To all the other Cookeville fans, watch out what you post on here. I don't want the team to get on here and get big headed. I think I am guilty more than anyone, but I had the word passed to me. Otherwise, good luck to the team on Friday. I have a busy week this week, so you all won't be hearing much from me, unless you send an e-mail. I might post one more good luck post Friday, but other than that, I'm out.

Go CAVS!!!!