Tennessee Flight Girls Basketball

Not everyone wants their child being handle by a coach who can't handle himself with maturity and with respect for others. So the Flight as Rob stated is only one of the many good options the state of TN enjoys.

Good luck to all in school ball and again when AAU kicks off!

825712929[/snapback]

I agree totally with robpride and Justdoit. I heard that the 13u FLight was going to be coached by the same lady that coached 12u Top Guns. If that statement is true then THE flight will be in the same boat as the top guns. The girls that played on that team are very talented. But the coach couldn't handle coaching that team so how could anyone allow their children to be under her when THE flight is supposed to be the cream of the crop.....

Parents need to take a good long look before putting their child on a team that is being built of kids from various areas. I real team is one that's comprised of girls that are in the same area and have interactions with each other both on and off the court. What alot of parents don't understand that just becasue your child made the team this year they might not next year. A real team is built and kept together not just put together YEARLY to make the COACH look good.

SOMEWHERE SOMEONE HAS FORGOT IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS AND THEIR FUTURE NOT THE COACH.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about who is coaching the Flight 13u team. However, the Top Guns coach you are referring to appears to be a class act. My daughter played for her briefly, I have coached against her and have watched several of the games she has coached. I have never witnessed anything except for extreme professionalism. The games and practices we attended last year were great- she treated the parents and players with respect- expected a lot but they were playing at the top level. If she would coach our team- we would be very lucky. You may find someone who says they saw "this or that and this happened here", but the Top Guns coach is a class act and SHE IS A GREAT COACH! The top 2 programs in the state in the 12u (13u next season), for the past 2 seasons, are the Lady Pride and the Top Guns. The reason is because of the coaching first and players second. Especially when you are talking about AAU teams and blending personalities. Given equal talent, those 2 coaches will beat you every time.

I don't know anything about who is coaching the Flight 13u team. However, the Top Guns coach you are referring to appears to be a class act. My daughter played for her briefly, I have coached against her and have watched several of the games she has coached. I have never witnessed anything except for extreme professionalism. The games and practices we attended last year were great- she treated the parents and players with respect- expected a lot but they were playing at the top level. If she would coach our team- we would be very lucky. You may find someone who says they saw "this or that and this happened here", but the Top Guns coach is a class act and SHE IS A GREAT COACH! The top 2 programs in the state in the 12u (13u next season), for the past 2 seasons, are the Lady Pride and the Top Guns. The reason is because of the coaching first and players second. Especially when you are talking about AAU teams and blending personalities.  Given equal talent, those 2 coaches will beat you every time.

825712973[/snapback]

Well this is an observation and it's my opinion. Maybe the reason you think she so great is that your " two peas in a pod".

As for coaching the Pride deserves the top honors and for the top guns being second well that's to be debated especially for anyone who was at the state tourney.

hold on folks didnt mean to get this kind of talk started

maybe showtime can clear up whos actually coaching the 13u team ive heard matt isell and now im hearing dawn

i happen to think alot of dawn as a coach and a person

for sidetrain maybe for 15 and 16 yr olds flight is the best option

but when players are still in learning stages that might not be true!!!!

there are some very good youth coaches around this state who do fine with out a nike swoosh !

ive heard this debated but i still think bigger success comes from team play ,not what shoe company is sponsering you

i know some of our kids have been contacted and we want them to do whats best for them...............its a tough decision for parents and players

SSS/Flight has never been a program that has taken raw, undeveloped players and turned them into top contenders in the State, let alone Nationally.. The closest they have ever come to having a team that they can say that they helped to develop was this year's 13U team (where they have some team members that I believe have been on board since they were 11). They have not had much success (some, but not much) in the younger age groups because when the kids are 10, 11, and 12, success, on a National level, usually amounts to solid fundamentals and good team chemistry. The KGC Lady Pride are one of the absolute best examples of that statement.

With that being said, the Tennessee Flight is usually (NOT ALWAYS) the best option once a player has turned 15 or 16 years old, because they are affiliated with Nike and they do so well on the National scene. The Flight is really good about getting their kids noticed, but more often then not the kids they have on those teams have already been noticed because they were great players before they came to the Flight. Regardless, if a player is looking to practice and play against the best in the country, then this is the organization they need to be in WHEN they are 14, 15, or 16.

Now, about next year's 13U Flight team. I almost posted yesterday that I had heard that Dawn was going to be the coach of this team. I have also heard that players from that Top Guns team and a couple from the Tennessee Wings have already committed to playing on this team. I don't find this hard to believe, because of some of the things I witnessed at the State Tournament, so I knew it was coming.

As far as Dawn as a coach, well I'll admit that she has never been one of my favorites. Now, that does not mean that she is not a good one, because she has proven herself to be a very fine coach. There is something about her demeanor and personality that I just don't like very much. I have been around her a couple of times and each time she has been pretty nice, but she strikes me as someone that would do anything to win, whether it was fair or not. There have been some instances, a couple at the State Tournament this year for example, that lead me to believe that my overall feeling about her is probably true. However, I know that kids could learn from her, because she is a very good teacher of the game, so she can't be all that bad.

bballmomma,

Like I said- I don't follow any other team around so I can only comment on what I've seen. I don't see what is to be gained by these subjects always turning into a bashing session. And I seriously doubt you've seen our team play or me coach - Dawn and I are not "2 peas in a pod". If you don't like someone or something, just don't support their program. There is plenty out there for all.

ptguard12,

I always like to read your posts and enjoy your insight. You have to realize, and I'm sure that you do, that a lot of readers take your word as gospel. To downgrade someone because of their "demeanor and personality" is not really fair. I remember last year during the state and Natls, all the talk was about how awesome the Top Guns were. It would be nice if, in a public forum such as this, posters would stick to facts and not make broad judgement statements based on gut feelings and personalities. I have never gotten the feeling that Dawn would do anything to win and it's a shame that some people (Including KIDS that look up to her) will read this and think it's so because someone said it.

It's no wonder that it's often difficult to find a good youth coach for your team!!!!!

bballmomma,

Like I said- I don't follow any other team around so I can only comment on what I've seen. I don't see what is to be gained by these subjects always turning into a bashing session. And I seriously doubt you've seen our team play or me coach - Dawn and I are not "2 peas in a pod". If you don't like someone or something, just don't support their program. There is plenty out there for all.

ptguard12,

I always like to read your posts and enjoy your insight. You have to realize, and I'm sure that you do, that a lot of readers take your word as gospel. To downgrade someone because of their "demeanor and personality" is not really fair. I remember last year during the state and Natls, all the talk was about how awesome the Top Guns were. It would be nice if, in a public forum such as this, posters would stick to facts and not make broad judgement statements based on gut feelings and personalities. I have never gotten the feeling that Dawn would do anything to win and it's a shame that some people (Including KIDS that look up to her) will read this and think it's so because someone said it.

It's no wonder that it's often difficult to find a good youth coach for your team!!!!!

825713592[/snapback]

Sorry to disappoint you but i have saw you coach on several occasions and leave the DRAMATICS to the girls. B)

As for as ptguard12 observations i've never know him to purposely lead amyone on the wrong path.

Eveyone is looking at this wrong, and you are forgetting the most important thing, THE KIDS...

Here's a thought instead of bashing each other, why not look at what it would take to develop stronger teams from TN for national level competition.

Showtime/TN Flight and Trotters coach,

Instead of trying to compete against KGC and recruit their players why not contact robpride to see if KGC would be interested in picking up any of the top players in Middle and East TN? Basically, KGC would become the Nike team of East/Middle TN. By reviewing their performance at state and nationals over the last few years KGC has a proven track record for developing the better players.

Starting new teams to recruit players and to facilitate teams splitting up only creates a lot of weaker teams. Put the BEST athletes on the BEST team, and let the other players develop on 'B' teams, Div.II or YBOA, in the end everyone will still get to play and develop at their own rate.

Let's focus on representing the State of TN, not arguing amoung ourselves about our individual programs and coaches. 'Divided we will fall, together we can stand tall'.

Eveyone is looking at this wrong, and you are forgetting the most important thing, THE KIDS...

Here's a thought instead of bashing each other, why not look at what it would take to develop stronger teams from TN for national level competition.

Showtime/TN Flight and Trotters coach,

Instead of trying to compete against KGC and recruit their players why not contact robpride to see if KGC would be interested in picking up any of the top players in Middle and East TN?  Basically, KGC would become the Nike team of East/Middle TN.  By reviewing their performance at state and nationals over the last few years KGC has a proven track record for developing the better players. 

Starting new teams to recruit players and to facilitate teams splitting up only creates a lot of weaker teams.  Put the BEST athletes on the BEST team, and let the other players develop on 'B' teams, Div.II or YBOA, in the end everyone will still get to play and develop at their own rate.

Let's focus on representing the State of TN, not arguing amoung ourselves about our individual programs and coaches.  'Divided we will fall, together we can stand tall'.

825713648[/snapback]

I wont assume what this response meant but I and our girls enjoy competing against the KGC, and talking with Rob, but thats not our main focus(of course). I'm pretty sure I havent participated in any bashing. Lastly the core of our team has been together since they were 9's and 10's and I'm very proud of each one of them. We have seven girls and I have been fishing to find 3 girls as good or better than what we already have to strenghthen the team. Its early and was just posting on here because its more likely to contact AAU experienced girls. If not we will have tryouts. The trotter organization already has 9's, 10's,11's,12's,13's,14's and 15's so we are not a start up or a split pickup team either. www.ladytrotters.com.

To add to the statement about representing Tn..........If we represent the kids well and do our jobs as coaches and parents, They will represent Tn well and its my opinion that they already do. B)

Sorry to disappoint you but i have saw you coach on several occasions and leave the DRAMATICS to the girls.    :lol:

As for as ptguard12 observations i've never know him to purposely lead amyone on the wrong path.

825713629[/snapback]

bballmomma,

I'm glad you have SEEN me coach- at least our girls are getting a little exposure. I've also never KNOWN ptguard12 to lead anyone wrong- I just don't think it's necessary to make value judgements on a public forum about people who volunteer to work with kids. Who cares if their personality or coaching style does not appeal to everyone. Let's show the kids that "if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything". Keep up the GREAT work KGC, Lady Trotters, Cookeville Crushers, Top Guns coaches and all the other 12u (soon to be 13u) teams and coaches in TN!.

ptguard12,

825713592[/snapback]

Panther2331,

I am fully aware of all the people and kids who read my posts. It was actually, not until this AAU season, that I realized just how MANY players, coaches, and fans are aware of my posting. However, I have never shyed away from speaking my mind, nor will I do so. You voiced your opinions on Coach Dawn and I voiced mine. Are mine not to be respected simply because they are the opposite of yours? I have actually posted before throughout the years that she wasn't one of my favorite coaches in this age group (if you go back in my posts anywhere from 1 to 3 years ago, I'm sure you'll find one). However, I respect anyone who is willing to work with kids (as long as it is FOR the kids), and all in all, I do respect her.

I believe basing my opinion on her because of her demeanor and personality are valid reasons. Some people look at these things before deciding whether or not they are going to let their children play for a specific coach. I may or may not be wrong about her, but from some of the things that I have witnessed from her in the past, I will stick to my assessment. I highly doubt that any player considering playing for her will not play based on what I have said. I can hear it now, "Mom, I just can't play for that lady because PTGuard12 said that he didn't like her demeanor. By the way mom, what is demeanor?" If that does happen, I apparently have way more power then I realize.

Don't worry ptguard12 panther2331 doesn't know what demeanor is either. If he did he wouldn't be whinning about peoples opinions. When my children were playing i would have looked at the coaches antics as well as their teams record. " A coach is just as good as his/her weakest player " how many recuriters have you saw looking at the coaches none there watching the girls!