Congrats to Motown West

KevinFromSwain

Motown used it's depth and speed to finish off a scrappy 1A Swain County Maroon Devil football team Friday night 38 to 14. Nothing but class from the Morristown Coaching staff for once everyone saw the game becoming out of control the coaches agreed to only have a 6 minute fourth quarter and rather than punching an unneeded score at the end Motown sat on the ball and let the time expire. For that I wish to give my utmost thanks.

Now from the beginning of this game nobody from Swain knew what to expect from the Devils this season. Our scrimmage game last week started off great only to see Swain make several “Young” miscues to a solid 3A program over here in North Carolina. Motown used it’s power game and some timely passes to move the ball 80 yards to score and eat up over 7 minutes on the clock. Swain’s first drive ended with a couple of first downs and another punt, however with the Devils picking up a couple of first downs started giving the Devils more promise that better things where around the corner.

Well Motown moved the ball on their first and second downs but then a good play by a Swain defender stole a short pass and Swain was in business inside the Motown forty. Swain took full advantage of this and finally put 7 on the board!

Motown not to be out done early in the second quarter hit a fairly long pass and that play with the help a some great offensive linemen blocking opened up the way for the Trojans to take a 14-7 lead. Swain wasn’t yet done and actually moved the ball with some great play calling, which ended up with a TD on a power sweep tying the game at 14. As luck would have if Motown could have put 7 more on the boards right before the half but a dropped pass in the End zone lead to a three point lead as Motown kicked the go ahead field goal to end the half with the score at Motown 17 Swain 14.

After the half Motown just wore down Swain’s depth by putting 14 quick points on the board making the score 31 to 14, the last Motown score came on a forty yard fumble recovery and run. Ouch! Swain isn’t as bad the score showed but aren’t quite ready for the depth of talent the Trojans have. My what a difference a season can make for Swain lost 19 seniors off last seasons State Championship team and that depth was missed tonight.

Again good game and the best of luck to the Trojans for the rest of the Season.

:lol:

Congrats to MoTown West! What a display. The first half it seemed just a little out of charecter - maybe chalk it up to the first game of the season - but the second half was something else. The Hale kid looked very impressive (I think he's only a junior). He looked like a bull out there - absolutely exploding every time he touched the ball. Ewing and McCullough looked good as well. I'll be interested to see the write up on in tomorrow's paper. I wonder what the outcome would have been without the turnovers by MoWest?

The QB from Swain is quite impressive - showed a lot of ability and potential. Shuler played well on both sides of the ball. It seemed Morristown West took their traditional style of football (pounding running game and their depth) and used it to make a great showing.

I was impressed with the support all the way from Swain County. Talk about a class act - coaches, players, and fans. Thanks to the Devils for making the trip and hope everyone arrived back home safely.

Nice response from the hometown crowd as well. It would be great to see that same support for the rest of the season.

Congratulations to Don Woods and the rest of his staff for a nice start.

GO TROJAN NATION!

Great game, Swain. The score really doesn't show much. Your QB is great. He can pass AND run ( I see him as a Brent Schaeffer without a criminal record, but that's another story). Also great running by Swain's tailback. West's Defense looks good this year and I can't wait for the rest of the season! Good luck to Swain and bring another state championship home to Western North Carolina, where i grew up (WAYNESVILLE)

GO TROJAN NATION!