TSSAA Game Rules Questions

dhack

Does anyone have a link to the rules that are used during a TSSAA HS game.

Have seen some odd stuff like personal fouls not being first downs. Field Goals going out of bounds not being placed at the 20. It been 25 years since I've played HS ball and Maybe I've watched to much pro ball. Just want to read up on the HS rules.

Just looking for Info

Dhack

dhack,

I do not know the particular situations that you are referring to, but a personal foul in hs ball is not an automatic first down in all cases. Also a field goal try is just like any other scrimmage kick except it can score three points. If it goes out of bounds before crossing the goal line then the ball will be spotted at that point. The actual website for the hs rules is nfhs.org if you are interested.

Edited by papatj

yea i have a question as well.. last night in the heritage vs seymour game.. heritage was called 4 offensive pass interference.. well they brought the ball back after they assessed the penalty and said it was also a loss of down.. i dont remember that bein part of the penalty.. so if any1 can fill me in here i would appreciate it.

yea i have a question as well.. last night in the heritage vs seymour game.. heritage was called 4 offensive pass interference.. well they brought the ball back after they assessed the penalty and said it was also a loss of down.. i dont remember that bein part of the penalty.. so if any1 can fill me in here i would appreciate it.

825721555[/snapback]

Rule 7-5-10: It is forward pass interference if:

a. Any player of A or B who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Any player hinders an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

c. An ineligible A player touches a forward pass beyond the neutral zone before a player of B has touched it.

PENALTY: Pass interference, 15 yards plus loss of down if by A.

(Page 57 of the 2005 NFHS Rules Book; to my knowledge, has always been part of the high school rule but not in NCAA or NFL.)

Keep in mind, MANY high school rules are FAR different from pro or college rules.

From what I have read and been told, if an official stops the clock for equipment repair and the player cannot get it repaired within 25-30 seconds then he must go out for at least one play.  Hope this helps.

825721483[/snapback]

Rule 1-5-5: When any required player equipment is missing or when illegal equipment is found, correction shall be made before participation. An official's time-out shall be declared to permit prompt repair of equipment which becomes illegal or defective through use. (emphasis mine)

Rule 3-5-2b: A charged team time-out occurs when the ball is dead and...the repair of faulty player equipment requires the assistance of a team attendant or attendants, or which, without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play signal more than 25 seconds.

Rule 3-5-5b: After a team has used its permissible charged time-outs for the half, any subsequent request shall be denied unless it is for...necessary repair to player equipment.

So what that tells me is that if it's going to take more than 25 seconds, he better come out of the game or his team will be charged a time-out.

OK. I have a specific question.

If the official asks for time-out because a player is having trouble with his headgear, the player can't immediately fix the problem and goes to the sideline (completely off the playing field), can that player reenter the game before the next play is run or is it like an injury and the player has to sit out for at least one play? I thought that once the player left the field, he had to sit out for a play.

825721463[/snapback]

Rule 3-7-3: During the same dead-ball interval, no substitute shall become a player and then withdraw and no player shall withdraw and re-enter as a substitute unless a penalty is accepted, a dead-ball foul occurs, there is a charged time-out or the period ends.

Rule 7-5-10:  It is forward pass interference if:

a. Any player of A or B who is beyond the neutral zone interferes with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch or bat the pass.

b. Any player hinders an opponent's vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made.

c. An ineligible A player touches a forward pass beyond the neutral zone before a player of B has touched it.

PENALTY: Pass interference, 15 yards plus loss of down if by A.

(Page 57 of the 2005 NFHS Rules Book; to my knowledge, has always been part of the high school rule but not in NCAA or NFL.)

Keep in mind, MANY high school rules are FAR different from pro or college rules.

825721648[/snapback]

thanks.. i appreciate that.. it must hardly be called or i jus dont pay enough attention.. ive never heard of that bein called.. o well.. thanks.

The website with the rules is www.nfhs.org but I'm not one of the privledged few to be a member so I don't have a password. Yes, its a password protected rule book. I would have thought it would be open to everybody.

Last night I saw what I thought was clearly a penalty but there was no flag. A Player waved his arm over his head for a fair catch on a kickoff - he caught the ball and ran with it and there was a whistle to mark the ball at the catch but no flag for running with the ball after the catch. I was the only one in the stands that stood up and yelled like an idiot "he's running with the ball - throw a flag". All I got was strange looks from my fellow fans.