Who has the most talent; East, Middle, or West TN

DCHS

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's about pure talent then reluctantly I'd have to say West Tennessee (hard for a D-B fan to admit it). Shelby County has produced more NFL players than nearly all of East Tennessee as a region or Middle Tennessee as a region. As far as I can tell in the history of pro football from mid 1920's to present about 360 NFL players went to high school in Tennessee. Of those about 30-35% went to high school in Shelby County. When you factor in Milan, Jackson, Humboldt, etc....West TN accounts for about 40-45% of the state's NFL talent.

If it's about pure talent then reluctantly I'd have to say West Tennessee (hard for a D-B fan to admit it).  Shelby County has produced more NFL players than nearly all of East Tennessee as a region or Middle Tennessee as a region.  As far as I can tell in the history of pro football from mid 1920's to present about 360 NFL players went to high school in Tennessee.  Of those about 30-35% went to high school in Shelby County.  When you factor in Milan, Jackson, Humboldt, etc....West TN accounts for about 40-45% of the state's NFL talent.

825736873[/snapback]

Good facts. It's hard to argue with West TN and the NFL. What frustrates me, being an East TN boy, is the geographic lines that separates some of the schools. Take Kingsport, for example, You have D.B., Sullivan North and Sullivan South within an area of about 5 square miles. Is three schools necessary in that small of an area? North has 700 students, South just over 1000 and DB has 1700. All three schools are very talented. How good would they be if it was one school. I know every region can say this but the Kingsport area is not large enough to have three high school (2 county schools and 1 city school). The talent at these three schools and success that they have enjoyed is as good as any cluster of schools in the state. I'll give Memphis and Nashville credit for having more overall talent (only because they have a much larger population) but the Kingsport area, for its size has as much talent as anywhere else in the state.