Braves aquire Hollandsworth

I dont believe that the Cards would be the favorite to win the WS by any means, sure they are your favorite justdontno, but everyone needs to recognize that whoever represents the AL is prolly gonna be the favorite to win it! The Cards are good, but they havent proven that they can beat great starting pitching yet, the Cards are built more for the long season than the short run through the playoffs! Lets remember how the Sox murdered the Cards last season, and the Cards have not improved since last season and have prolly gotten worse with the lose of Renteria and Rolen, and Walker has not put up the numbers he is capable of! Really the team with the best chance in the NL is prolly the Marlins with that pitching staff and they have some ringers at the plate! Yes, the Braves have some bullpen issues, but lets remember one thing, it is a whole new season when the playoffs start and we have seen that anything can happen in the playoffs! Thats why the game is played on the field and not on this message board!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe that the Cards would be the favorite to win the WS by any means, sure they are your favorite justdontno, but everyone needs to recognize that whoever represents the AL is prolly gonna be the favorite to win it! The Cards are good, but they havent proven that they can beat great starting pitching yet, the Cards are built more for the long season than the short run through the playoffs! Lets remember how the Sox murdered the Cards last season, and the Cards have not improved since last season and have prolly gotten worse with the lose of Renteria and Rolen, and Walker has not put up the numbers he is capable of! Really the team with the best chance in the NL is prolly the Marlins with that pitching staff and they have some ringers at the plate! Yes, the Braves have some bullpen issues, but lets remember one thing, it is a whole new season when the playoffs start and we have seen that anything can happen in the playoffs! Thats why the game is played on the field and not on this message board!

825747313[/snapback]

I don't necessarily think the Cardinals are the favorites and can actually be objective about the discussion. I think their pitching is better than last year with Carpenter healthy and the addition of Mulder. Probably depends on how well Morris Marquis and Suppan who are up and down pitch. And they have beaten good ptiching bad pitching and all pitching. They are close to 40 games over .500. The injuries and loss of Rolen is a concern, but I only predicted a WS win when pressed for an opinion and really arrive at them by process of elimination. And you are right about the Marlins, I fear them more than any other NL team, in a short series they will be tough to beat but they may not even make the playoffs. The Cardinals are clearly the best team in NL, that is just fact. Doesn't mean they will make WS. In the Al I wonder if Boston has SP to win, wonder if the White Sox are for real, wonder if Yankees or A's or Indians will make playoffs, so I arrive at the Angels by default (who also may not make the playoffs). In WS matchup, probably a toss up and in that case i got with the heart, but everything is hypothoses based an facts. The Cardinals were embassassed in WS last year, but maybe that experience will help this year. And the Braves will be in playoffs and have a chance, just don't consider them a favorite because of their pen.

Paraphrasing the judge from My Cousin Vinny. That was a lucid argument, but objection overruled :D

You are hopeless.  Ask Smoltz about Braves pen.  I hate to be proven right again, but Today was 6th time they blew a save to cost Smoltz a win-and he starts only 1/5 of their games.  Since you know all how many blown saves to Braves have?  I don't care to look it up and I'm sure you don't want that number exposed. And as I said They won in spite of their bullpen.  And if they win World Series, which is highly doubtful because of their bullpen, it will be in spite of their bullpen.  What i justdontno about is people like you who will argue a point even though they have to know it is wrong.  I would tell you the same if I was a Braves fan.

As for who will win World Series, you are for the first time right, i don't know and neither does anyone else.  Best bet will be Cardinals-Angels matchup with Cardinals coming out on top.  But it's basically ever who can get hot and get most breaks for 2-3 weeks in October, which gives even the Weak Bullpen Braves a punchers chance.

It's no fun to keep arguing with someone who ignores facts.  Try to convince me the Braves will win despite their bullpen and I'll disagree, but at least I'll listen.  Try to tell me the Braves have a "solid" bullpen, just don't want to waste my time with it , B-town kitty.

825747178[/snapback]

lol look man dont get your panties in a wad. go ahead and talk down to me all you want if it makes you feel good but to be honest with you i know sports just about as well as anybody on the website. now that im back at college my only job right now is betting on games and playing in fantasy leagues for money so i keep up with every little detail about football, baseball, and basketball. i know the Braves dont have a great bullpen, i never said they did, but they have enough that it wont keep them from winning in the playoffs. im not gonna argue with you anymore but when October gets here i would feel safe putting the game in the hands of Smoltz for 7 innings, Sosa in the 8th(he's been starting alot but he'll be back in the pen when they go to a 3 or 4 man rotation for the playoffs), and whoever the hot man is between Farnsworth and Reitsma in the 9th. seriously, i know they arent great, but i rather have their bullpen than what the Redsox have right now(my favorite team by the way). im gonna drop it after this post but i'll stand by my prediction til the end....if Farnsworth and Reitsma cause them to lose in the playoffs im man enough to admit that i was wrong, and if the Braves make it to the Series i expect you'll do the same....right slick?

once again, i never said they were great, i just think they are solid enough that they wont prevent them from winning in the playoffs. dont get me wrong, they wont win any games for them, but i think they will be solid enough for them to win the national league.

lol look man dont get your panties in a wad. go ahead and talk down to me all you want if it makes you feel good but to be honest with you i know sports just about as well as anybody on the website. now that im back at college my only job right now is betting on games and playing in fantasy leagues for money so i keep up with every little detail about football, baseball, and basketball. i know the Braves dont have a great bullpen, i never said they did, but they have enough that it wont keep them from winning in the playoffs. im not gonna argue with you anymore but when October gets here i would feel safe putting the game in the hands of Smoltz for 7 innings, Sosa in the 8th(he's been starting alot but he'll be back in the pen when they go to a 3 or 4 man rotation for the playoffs), and whoever the hot man is between Farnsworth and Reitsma in the 9th. seriously, i know they arent great, but i rather have their bullpen than what the Redsox have right now(my favorite team by the way). im gonna drop it after this post but i'll stand by my prediction til the end....if Farnsworth and Reitsma cause them to lose in the playoffs im man enough to admit that i was wrong, and if the Braves make it to the Series i expect you'll do the same....right slick?

once again, i never said they were great, i just think they are solid enough that they wont prevent them from winning in the playoffs. dont get me wrong, they wont win any games for them, but i think they will be solid enough for them to win the national league.

825748546[/snapback]

Never got my panties in a wad, you are the one that changed it from a civil discussion to a little good natured trash talking. And this last post is more coherent and less slanted. You or I can have all the knowledge about sports in the world and it still comes down to educated guesses. That's why I like to keep the discussion more to facts. And I wasn't "talking down" to you just returning what appeared to be good natured ribbing with the "slick" and justdontno jabs. Love a good baseball talk or debate and definitely have my opinions but don't take myself or others opinions very seriously. Neither of us will throw a pitch or swing a bat in the playoffs--at least I know I wont.

In my prediction post you will see I have similar views about Red Sox. They are going to have to hit themselves to a repeat and they could. But as you pointed out, worry about the pitching. And the Braves may win, but my OPINION is bullpen is their weakness-the only point of your's I ever argued.

Am Cardinal fan but worry about how SP will perform and Walker, Sanders coming off injuries how much they will be able to produce. Think their fate could lie in how 3 and 4 starters perform-Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are bad--the inconsistency concerns me. There isn't a team out there without some concerns, just ever who gets hot, makes big plays and gets breaks.

Last Time I checked, which was two minutes ago, Kyle Farnsworth is 6 for 6 in save opportunity for the Braves. He looks pretty consistent to me. Oh yeah and he was 6 for 8 with the Tigers with a ERA around 2.30. For the Braves his ERA is 1.00 in 18 IP. So there is your closer come playoff time. Then like btwon said you have Sosa, who has been dominant all year, as the set-up man. So as long as the starting pitching goes 7 innings, heck even 6 innings, they will be fine come playoff time. Sure there bullpen hasn't been great all season, but if any team has learned that how you play in October is more important than how you play in the regular season, it is the Braves.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Time I checked, which was two minutes ago, Kyle Farnsworth is 6 for 6 in save opportunity for the Braves. He looks pretty consistent to me. Oh yeah and he was 6 for 8 with the Tigers with a ERA around 2.30. For the Braves his ERA is 1.00 in 18 IP. So there is your closer come playoff time. Then like btwon said you have Sosa, who has been dominant all year, as the set-up man. So as long as the starting pitching goes 7 innings, heck even 6 innings, they will be fine come playoff time. Sure there bullpen hasn't been great all season, but if any team has learned that how you play in October is more important than how you play in the regular season, it is the Braves.

Farnsworth has been lights out and will need to continue that throughout the playoffs!