Greenbrier at Cheatham Co.

Guest catfish-hunter

We have faced both teams in this one. Greenbrier in week one and Cheatham Co. last week. Both are very sound, well coached, smash you in the mouth teams. Offensively, neither is flashly, they will both just try to run over you.

Cheatham Co. has the better defense. They go side-to-side better than any team we have faced in a long time. They do it with some size for good measure. My prediction is Cheatham Co. by 20-7.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter
We have faced both teams in this one.  Greenbrier in week one and Cheatham Co. last week.  Both are very sound, well coached, smash you in the mouth teams.  Offensively, neither is flashly, they will both just try to run over you.

Cheatham Co. has the better defense.  They go side-to-side better than any team we have faced in a long time.  They do it with some size for good measure.  My prediction is Cheatham Co. by 20-7.

825756197[/snapback]

We have had an excellent start to the 2005 season and yes we did score 40+ points against everyone we played outside of Lipscomb. However, with that being said I will be shocked if we score 20 against Greenbrier. Every year when I watch the Bobcats play they have an outstanding defense. This will be one of those 17-13, 14-12, 10-7 type of football games. Both have great defenses and both aren't too flashy on the offensive side of the football.

We have faced both teams in this one.  Greenbrier in week one and Cheatham Co. last week.  Both are very sound, well coached, smash you in the mouth teams.  Offensively, neither is flashly, they will both just try to run over you.

Cheatham Co. has the better defense.  They go side-to-side better than any team we have faced in a long time.  They do it with some size for good measure.  My prediction is Cheatham Co. by 20-7.

825756197[/snapback]

Lipscomb scored 30 against Cheatham and only 7 against Greenbrier.....but you say Cheatham has the better defense...?

Did Lipscomb score most of their points off Cheatham's turnovers? Was this game dominated by field position due to the turnovers?

Absolutely the case. Lipscomb didn't get their first first down until midway through the second quarter. Cheatham County threw three interceptions and the first was returned for a touchdown. I think they eventually allowed Elrod to reach 100 on the ground but it he carried the ball numerous times. Clint Casteel was an absolute monster in the middle and the Cubs defense played extremely well considering they were on the field the majority of the game. I would estimate that starting field position for the Mustangs would have been around the 45 in Cheatham County territory. The offense will have to play much better and allow the defense a break here and there if they expect to compete in this one.

We did score some points off of the Cheatham Co. turnovers. It must be remembered, the best defense played against us in week 1 was the weather. I would be seriously surprised if Greenbrier could do that to us again. Your best improvement comes between your first and second games. Greenbrier played in week 0 and we did not.

I am not bashing Greenbrier in any way, they handed it to us. I have great respect for them and their coaching staff. We are just not the same team that we were at that point.

We did score some points off of the Cheatham Co. turnovers.  It must be remembered, the best defense played against us in week 1 was the weather.  I would be seriously surprised if Greenbrier could do that to us again.  Your best improvement comes between your first and second games.  Greenbrier played in week 0 and we did not. 

825756958[/snapback]

If the weather was the best defense, it should have stopped the Cats as well.

I think the same weather affected both teams in the same way and most of the first half was rain-free. Both teams ran basically the same type offensive games with very little passing. The field was in perfect shape so the rain didn't seem to cause much of an issue.

I think it's safe to say that GB is not the same team at this point either.

Edited by NoDoubt

We did score some points off of the Cheatham Co. turnovers.  It must be remembered, the best defense played against us in week 1 was the weather.  I would be seriously surprised if Greenbrier could do that to us again.  Your best improvement comes between your first and second games.  Greenbrier played in week 0 and we did not. 

I am not bashing Greenbrier in any way, they handed it to us.  I have great respect for them and their coaching staff.  We are just not the same team that we were at that point.

825756958[/snapback]

It wasn't raining last year on the Mustang field, but they did do it again. And that Bobcat team had much more experience than this year's. I agree that all teams's improve with experience and as the team finds their fit. I don't think anyone is expecting that Greenbrier can't have an off night, but with a weeks rest to let most of the bruises and bumps heal, I know they will be anxious to get back to playing football.

Edited by GreenbrierCat2

Guest catfish-hunter

Lipscomb scored their first TD on an INT return by Lehning on the third play of the game. Lipscomb's average starting field position was inside Cubs territory last week and Cheatham's average field position was at their own 16-yard line. Bell threw three INT's, took a safety in the endzone at the start of the second half, and Landon Jones had a fumble (there was another turnover but I can't remember it right off the top of my head right now).

Anytime you turn the football over 5 TIMES and let a team start inside your own territory it is going to be tough to win. That is especially true when you are starting on the 16-yard line every time and you are playing a team as great as David Lipscomb (who was better than us to begin with).

I would venture to say that David Lipscomb is much better than they were when they played Greenbrier back in week zero. The Bobcats are improved as well, just is the case for any team since that time.

For what it’s worth….I spoke with a friend who attended the Lipscomb/Cheatham County game. His opinion was Cheatham County will be the toughest team Greenbrier has faced thus far…..including PJP2 and Lipscomb. Cheatham County had a poor offensive showing against Lipscomb with too many costly turnovers that resulted in quick scores and field position. Lipscomb had a very hard time moving the ball offensively due to Cheatham’s strong defense.

This will be a huge test for the Bobcats. Younger players will have to step up due to injuries and sickness. Hopefully the fans will show up in big numbers for this one.

Does Cheatham still not have a visitor’s side (bleachers)?

I haven't seen Greenbrier or CC play this year. I see from CC's scores and what I've read that they seem to be pretty tough. But in the comparsion to Lipscomb, GB did win that game, even though it might not have been a landslide. But from what I heard about the GB-PJPII game, that game wasn't a JPJ runaway either. I think the GB-CC game will be close, but I think the bye week will make a difference. But that's just my .02 worth from someone who hasn't seen these teams play yet, so take it for what it's worth. The good thing is that this game is meaningless in region standings, so hopefully no one will get hurt before the region stretch comes into view.