AP 3A Poll

CoachD33

Catholic, and all of the teams, should be evaluated fairly based on what those boys are doing this year, not what some long-gone coaching staff did before any of these kids were even enrolled at the school. Fulton at #10 is ridiculous. They may beat Catholic in a few weeks, but they are 1-3 now with a loss to an AE team that Catholic beat 21-0. That ranking doesn't have anything to do with a weak non-conference schedule. It has to do with voters who are not doing a fair job at evaluating this year's performances, including, but not limited to, Knoxville Catholic. Go Irish!

Is no one reading the first post of this thread? I have tried to get the message out that Catholic is not ranked because of a glitch in the AP voting system. When we log on we select teams from each class in a menu of choices AP has in that particular class to vote from. The first week Catholic & Notre Dame were both still in Div. 2's menu, this week Notre Dame had been moved & are now ranked. Catholic was still listed in D-2. I trust the Associated Press folks will right this problem for next week & I assure you Catholic will get its due. Voters in the AP Poll catch a lot of heat, some of them rightly so, but some of us do our homework to make a good poll but we can't vote for a team that's not available to us!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is no one reading the first post of this thread? I have tried to get the message out that Catholic is not ranked because of a glitch in the AP voting system. When we log on we select teams from each class in a menu of choices AP has in that particular class to vote from. The first week Catholic & Notre Dame were both still in Div. 2's menu, this week Notre Dame had been moved & are now ranked. Catholic was still listed in D-2. I trust the Associated Press folks will right this problem for next week & I assure you Catholic will get its due. Voters in the AP Poll catch a lot of heat, some of them rightly so, but some of us do our homework to make a good poll but we can't vote for a team that's not available to us!

"Reading" and "understanding" are two entirely different things! My bad, for while I read your first post I clearly did not understand the significance of what you were saying due to my total unfamiliarity with how the voting occurs. This situation makes a lot more sense than the explanation advanced that voters were not voting for the Irish because of historical scheduling weaknesses. Hopefully the system will be corrected by next week. Thank you for hanging in there and explaining the problem again.

Before you lump in Rutledge as a "weak" team...try this on for size.

Until this recent run of bad luck, Rutledge has been a consistent playoff contender, has been to the quarterfinals and played Fulton competitively when the teams were at full strength with the last two years being the exception and not the rule.

All I got to say is go ahead an pile on now while Rutledge is down. They won't stay down.

KevB1990, absolutely no offense was intended to Rutledge. Having misread the first post in the topic, I was responding to a post suggesting that Catholic, more than other teams, regularly scheduled weak opponents and therefor was being punished by the AP voters. In reviewing #10 Fulton's recent schedules, I saw that Fulton played Rutledge for the last two seasons and beat them by combined scores of 95-18. My post wasn't intended to slam Rutledge but rather to point out that the A-E's and Fulton's also play games that end up pretty one-sided without being criticized for weak scheduling. I'm sure Rutledge has had its own share of one-sided wins over the years as well. Good luck in 2005.

"Reading" and "understanding" are two entirely different things! My bad, for while I read your first post I clearly did not understand the significance of what you were saying due to my total unfamiliarity with how the voting occurs. This situation makes a lot more sense than the explanation advanced that voters were not voting for the Irish because of historical scheduling weaknesses. Hopefully the system will be corrected by next week. Thank you for hanging in there and explaining the problem again.

You're welcome. I hope people understand why Catholic is not rated is no slight to their program.