BA vs. Ensworth

Eagles09

I think whoever snapped the ball over the punter's head should assume some responsibility. I don't think a #5 team in the country does that sort of thing late in the fourth quarter. Maybe things have a way of working themselves out in the high school national top ten.

Just a thought.

Haha.. too bad that long snapper is starting at the University of Virginia, and will most likely be in the NFL in the coming years... I'd say that's top ten material, since about 1% of high school football players wind up in the national football league.

Weak argument.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA[/url'>WR5' post='825759993' date='Sep 22 2005 - 05:48 PM']

Haha.. too bad that long snapper is starting at the University of Virginia, and will most likely be in the NFL in the coming years... I'd say that's top ten material, since about 1% of high school football players wind up in the national football league.

Weak argument.

I did not say he was a terrible football player and his career should have been ended immediately. However, as great as he may be, the officials do not get a chance to throw MBA out of the top 5 in the nation if he does not snap the ball over the punter's head. What part of that argument is weak?

By the way, I hear the punter at Virginia has the best vertical in the nation B)

Edited by USA1

I really think the emergence of Ensworth as another private school power is a major plus for all of us in the private school community. As I have written on the public-private debate board (where, itzme, I think you are on the money with everything you write), another Nashville powerhouse takes us one step closer to our football league clearly, beyond any shadow of a doubt, being recognized as the best in the state. I am thrilled honestly about the reemergence of Father Ryan under their new coach. Ensworth under RB will get there in a hurry. JPII with Jeff Brothers, CPA with its new coach: all these schools, along with BA and MBA, are going to make Nashville private school football the premier football league in the state. Much like the catholic leagues are on the East coast.

Ensworth has a long, long way to go before it will be competing with MBA for its students (Harpeth Hall is the school that needs to be worried). The true test is going to come when a generation of Nashvillians, who attended Ensworth grade school and MBA high school, and have strong ties to both, make the decision about where their kids go to school. I can name about two dozen of them right now. As of now, they are rock solid in the MBA camp but things can definitely change. I suspect Ensworth will really, really push hard for its grade school kids to stay on for high school.

This really isn't the topic of this thread, but I think its fair to note that, while the two dozen guys you know mwy be rock solid in the MBA camp as you say--- 1st , as you say , things can change, and 2d-- more importantly-- those guys may find, especially where the HS decision is concerned, that the kids have as much or more influence than the parents---- Ensworth has kept more than 80% of its 8th graders both of the last two years--- and more than a few of those kids chose EHS over objections from their parents---- I also don't think the facts support Redtwin's comment that MBA's entrance requirements are higher than Ensworth's I know of several kids admitted to MBA for 7th or 9th grade who were wait listed at Ensworth, and I'm not aware of any cases where the reverse is true. Of course-- the real point is that there are plenty of great kids for all these schools, and competition and choice will make everybody better-- great for Nashville.

MBA[/url]WR5' post='825759993' date='Sep 22 2005 - 05:48 PM']

Weak argument.

Santi is a great player. I'm only sorry he didn't follow his own sisters' fine example and attend BA! :thumb:

I also don't think the facts support Redtwin's comment that MBA's entrance requirements are higher than Ensworth's I know of several kids admitted to MBA for 7th or 9th grade who were wait listed at Ensworth, and I'm not aware of any cases where the reverse is true. Of course-- the real point is that there are plenty of great kids for all these schools, and competition and choice will make everybody better-- great for Nashville.

I am dubious of reports like that taken out of context, as Ensworth (at least in the past, pre-high school) had a well-known history of making admissions decisions based on the past generosity of the parents. I'd be shocked if Ensworth were in a position--without having a full high school, and any sort of past to draw on--to be that selective. Though, to be sure, they have a lot of smart people in charge over there and some deep pockets so I don't doubt they will get there soon enough.

OK...so...anybody have any further thoughts on this game?

BA gets the early lead, and then the younger guys for BA and Ensworth get some good reps against each other.

And the Ensworth fans will be 100% angels the entire time, just like the rest of the fans in the entire country, except on West End Avenue, of course. :thumb:

INVNO1, tell us more about the process over there on HWY 100. Does the school try to sell more what it offers or discredit what others do? I'd like to know - my wife and I are considering EHS for our daughter some day, but if that's the modus operandi to attract students, we may have to rethink that position.

Edited by rollredroll

Kind of go a chuckle when I read where this thread has gone...

BA will win handling and the 2's and 3's will play after the 1st quarter (my boy will have a chance to contribute!!!)

On the other topic, Ensworth is a fine addition to the private school landscape in middle TN. I am not an insider yet I work with parents at both MBA and Ensworth. They have informed me that while there are a few students that choose Ensworth over Harpeth Hall and MBA, those two schools respectively have had two of their greatest admissions years in recent history. Both have record applications, and as usual they are attracting the top students in the area. We at Brentwood Academy are still the attractive option to the Williamson County community yet we are competing now with the excellent public schools of our county.

With this said, Ensworth is apparently having a greater affect on CPA, FRA, and yes...Brentwood Academy. MBA and Harpeth Hall are still in a class by themselves from what I've been told.

At Brentwood Academy we will still get the solid Williamson County students plus the others who arrive through CF's marketing efforts.

As far as the poster chosing Ensworth over other schools because of the loud fans, I am now fully expecting Ensworth to have the most peaceful, quiet student body in history.

Sorry, Itzme, this thread definitely got hijacked, so this will be my last post not game related. MBA is an ultracompetitive atmosphere across the board, which can be a good and a bad thing. Obviously the basketball and baseball games were examples of too much of a competitive nature spilling over in a bad way, but, you will be hard pressed to find a school in the Super 7, that does not have a similar atmosphere. I remember some basketball games at BA and Ryan, and some lacrosse games at CBHS that certainly fit this description. IMO, it's just a case of boys being boys, but I agree with you that it is an area where the gentleman part of the motto could use a lot of work. From what I have seen, which isn't across the spectrum, Ensworth has been selling a lot of this attitude to kids. I.E. Come to Ensworth, you won't have to ride the bench for as long, or to parents, send your child here because its not so competitive, which is probably very attractive to a lot of people. And yes, Ensworth will probably start to retain a lot of lifelong Ensworthians, but MBA gets a lot of students from a lot of other schools, several of which a places send their children to because they want to avoid some aspects of the Ensworth community. It will also be interesting to see what happens when some of the boys who went to Ensworth from K-8 and MBA from 9-12 start having kids go through, particularly those who played for Coach Bowers. Like I said earlier, there are plent of people looking for a private educatin in Nashville, and MBA has a large waiting list every year, so I don't see them having any enrollment issues. As for admission standards, the Tennessean recently published an article comparing entrance requirements and exit statistics of private schools in Nashville, which I cannot find online, and MBA's were at the top, as they have been for years, and they will continue to do so for a long while.

Kind of go a chuckle when I read where this thread has gone...

BA will win handling and the 2's and 3's will play after the 1st quarter (my boy will have a chance to contribute!!!)

On the other topic, Ensworth is a fine addition to the private school landscape in middle TN. I am not an insider yet I work with parents at both MBA and Ensworth. They have informed me that while there are a few students that choose Ensworth over Harpeth Hall and MBA, those two schools respectively have had two of their greatest admissions years in recent history. Both have record applications, and as usual they are attracting the top students in the area. We at Brentwood Academy are still the attractive option to the Williamson County community yet we are competing now with the excellent public schools of our county.

With this said, Ensworth is apparently having a greater affect on CPA, FRA, and yes...Brentwood Academy. MBA and Harpeth Hall are still in a class by themselves from what I've been told.

At Brentwood Academy we will still get the solid Williamson County students plus the others who arrive through CF's marketing efforts.

As far as the poster chosing Ensworth over other schools because of the loud fans, I am now fully expecting Ensworth to have the most peaceful, quiet student body in history.

Brentwood Academy had more applications than any year in school history - by far. It sounds like the same with MBA. The admissions department was stressed trying to make decisions and ended up over loading classes because some applicants were just too good to turn away. So, I agree with your statement of "not being an insider". You demonstrated that nicely.

Possibly Ensworth has affected BA - it stimulated the market and maybe enspired the 10 million dollar expansion that is underway.

<a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> had more applications than any year in school history - by far. It sounds like the same with MBA. The admissions department was stressed trying to make decisions and ended up over loading classes because some applicants were just too good to turn away. So, I agree with your statement of "not being an insider". You demonstrated that nicely.

Possibly Ensworth has affected BA - it stimulated the market and maybe enspired the 10 million dollar expansion that is underway.

Thanks for the update. That's great news for the BA family. I guess Ensworth just hasn't had the effect people thought it would!!!

GO Eagles!!

BA gets the early lead, and then the younger guys for BA and Ensworth get some good reps against each other.

And the Ensworth fans will be 100% angels the entire time, just like the rest of the fans in the entire country, except on West End Avenue, of course. :lol:

INVNO1, tell us more about the process over there on HWY 100. Does the school try to sell more what it offers or discredit what others do? I'd like to know - my wife and I are considering EHS for our daughter some day, but if that's the modus operandi to attract students, we may have to rethink that position.

MBA's crowd has always had that reputation. Well earned, I'd say (nothing like a Hillsboro soccer player running to the crowd and saying "I'm gonna get my gun out of my car and kill all of you!!!). Of course, I can sit here and recall the worst offenders from my day (of which, certainly I was one at bball and soccer games), and I'd say 95% were the former Ensworthians. So forgive me for laughing heavily at the idea that "at Ensworth our fans have manners, unlike those houligans at MBA (starting now)."

Personally, I'd think college selection, faculty credentials, programs offered, etc., etc., would be more influential than crowd behavior, but that's just me...