Tai Tupai

David Pollack

Scott Wells TN State Champ

Jeff Bostic*, C, Washington Redskins – SC State Champ

Tedy Bruschi*, ILB, New England Patriots

Bob Bruenig*, LB, Dallas Cowboys

Roger Craig*, RB, San Francisco 49’ers

Larry Czonka**, RB, Miami Dolphins

Hall of Fame Running Back from the Miami Dolphins, Larry Czonka, pounded opponents on the wrestling mat as well as the gridiron.

Dan Dierdorff**, OT, St. Louis Cardinals

Frank Garcia, C, St. Louis Rams – 2x AZ State Champ

Bob Golic*, DT, Cleveland Browns – OH State Champ

Mike Golic, DE, Philadelphia Eagles

Tim Green, DE, Atlanta Falcons

Randy Grossman, TE, Pittsburgh Steelers

John Hannah**, G, New England Patriots

Carlton Haselrig*, Pittsburgh Steelers, 3x NCAA Champ

Chad Hennings, DT, Dallas Cowboys – IA State Champ

Bo Jackson*, RB, Oakland Raiders

Alex Karras, Detroit Lions

Ray Lewis, Pro Bowl Linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens, was a Florida 4A State Wrestling Champion at 189 lbs.

Ray Lewis*, Baltimore Ravens – 2x FL State Champ

Ronnie Lott**, DB, San Francisco 49’ers

Napolean McCallum, RB, Oakland Raiders

Randle McDaniel*, G, Minnesota Vikings

Future Hall of Famer Randall McDaniel was a wrestler before he was named to 12 NFL Pro Bowls.

Chuck Noll, Pittsburgh Steelers – PA State Champ

Mike Reid, Cincinnati Bengals

Pro Bowl Defensive Tackle Warren Sapp was a Florida State Champion wrestler in High School.

Jim Thorpe**, HB, New York Giants

Charles White*, HB, Los Angeles Rams

Randy White*, DT, Dallas Cowboys

Ricky Williams*, RB, Miami Dolphins

Faud Reveiz-Pro Bowl Kicker

*Pro-Bowler

**Hall of Famer

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next topic- football players who played basketball, a lot more nfl'ers who played bball then wrestled.

Football players who played baseball- probably more who did this also

football players who played piano,, probably as many who did this

football players who played monoply, many more who played this

Point being- it isn't wrestling that made them good football players. wrestling is a good sport for people with little athletic ability who like to wear underwear in public. It does little if anything to improve football skills, as there are few times when fightin off of your back comes in handy on the football field.

Next topic- football players who played basketball, a lot more nfl'ers who played bball then wrestled.

Football players who played baseball- probably more who did this also

football players who played piano,, probably as many who did this

football players who played monoply, many more who played this

Point being- it isn't wrestling that made them good football players. wrestling is a good sport for people with little athletic ability who like to wear underwear in public. It does little if anything to improve football skills, as there are few times when fightin off of your back comes in handy on the football field.

Read the article before you show you lack of knowledge!

http://www.themat.com/coachescorner/pressd...l.asp?aid=10114

The point is to educate those players and Coaches who stop the players from wrestling because of bad info.

Yeah, you’re right all those Names on that list had little Athletic ability. They made all pro, All American and won the top awards wearing their underwear in public.

grow -up! :thumb:

Quote from the article:

In comparing the two sports the transition from football to wrestling should be a natural move for high school athletes. However, the lack of knowledge and true understanding of the sport of wrestling can be an obvious barrier for many youth. The kids in American society are more apt to know about Kurt Angle’s for-show struggles in the WWF, then his epic battle to win the gold-medal in freestyle wrestling in the Olympics. If a coach wants to get football players to move from the gridiron to the wrestling mat, they need to breakdown just how closely the skills of wrestling can translate to success on the football field

Edited by rigger101

But, the deeper message to the kids should be wrestling requires total body control deepening skills that can be used in a variety of sports. Not a group of muscles in the body is overlooked. When a competitor steps on to the mat he takes responsibility for the development and coordination of every square inch of their body. Make yourself a wrestler and you’ll learn skills and thinking that will boost your performance in every challenge—both physical and mental—that you undertake in life.

No doubt Eddie Haskell! You have not been a part of Wrestling or U wouldn't be showing your lack on mental skills.

i wrestled a little bit in the offseason and its amazing how quicker my feet got and my hands are so much quicker now.

that maryvillewho guy is just mad bc he lost and talked so much smack..

I hope to see you on the mat during the regular season.

With the Reviez brothers covering the higher weights and having some great Sophmores in the lighter weights it should be a great year.

I hope to see you on the mat during the regular season.

With the Reviez brothers covering the higher weights and having some great Sophmores in the lighter weights it should be a great year.

wrestling has as much to do with football as academics does with UT. Take this to the wrestling board where someone cares about it.

wrestling has as much to do with football as academics does with UT. Take this to the wrestling board where someone cares about it.

Eddie H, your making yourself look silly!

Univ of TN!

2 Nobel Laureates

7 Rhodes Scholars

6 Pulitzer Prizes

10 Astronauts

They also play a little Football!

rtblogo.jpg

Edited by rigger101

From the Gridiron to the Wrestling Mat: Wrestling is Training for Life

This is copyrighted material so I have changed it to link to the article. CoachT

;) Thanks for the the link to the great article. My son and I have been discussing the pro's and con's of wrestling, to help his football and that article helps clear things up a bit.

Our biggest concern was having to "make" weight. He is on a program to gain weight so losing it, is out of the question. He was even considering training with the wrestling team and not actually competing.

;) Thanks for the the link to the great article. My son and I have been discussing the pro's and con's of wrestling, to help his football and that article helps clear things up a bit.

Our biggest concern was having to "make" weight. He is on a program to gain weight so losing it, is out of the question. He was even considering training with the wrestling team and not actually competing.

TSSAA inplemented a system last year that will not let a kids lose below a cetain weight. My son weighed in at 120 prior to the season and his calibration said he could only go down to 116. If the wrestling coach undrstands that your son is there to get bigger it shouldn't be a problem.

Nick Reveiz started off as an 189lb, his Sophmore year than was a solid 215lb State Champion as a JR last year.

Good Luck and welcome to the worlds oldest sport and to CoachT!

Edited by rigger101

TSSAA inplemented a system last year that will not let a kids lose below a cetain weight. My son weighed in at 120 prior to the season and his calibration said he could only go down to 116. If the wrestling coach undrstands that your son is there to get bigger it shouldn't be a problem.

Nick Reveiz started off as an 189lb, his Sophmore year than was a solid 215lb State Champion as a JR last year.

Good Luck and welcome to the worlds oldest sport and to CoachT!

Thanks,

Coach T has been a hoot so far!!

Eddie H.

I assume you are posting on how the two sports have nothing in common because you wrestled and it did not help in football, right....

I did not think so, you are not speaking from experience, and i would not dare to say what or where you are speaking from or out of, but it is not logic. The proof is there, so what if alot of NFL players played bball or piano, the thread is not about percentage that play what sports, its about how wrestling improves football players. Many football players came out for wrestling after the season, and they could not do the conditioning like the wrestlers could, they had to work to get in shape. Wrestling shape on average is better than condition in football. Think about it, in wrestling you get in shape, and you also have to take responsibility for your actions, there is no one to blame when you lose. Wrestling ties into life as well, the lessons i learned on the mat have helped me to this day, through everything. I never played football, and i am not claiming it helped me in football, but the people who did wrestle and play football, have moved up on the depth chart. You cannot argue with facts. I would assume that by reading all the stories about how it helps would open your mind, but whatever, and by the way, the "underwear" is called a singlet. Say what you want about wrestling, i am wrestling in college, and it has taught me discipline needed to succeed in life. Oh and i resentt he statement of little athletic ability, apparently you have no clue about the sport.

Wrestling, a sport mentioned in the Bible cannot be wrong.

Edited by alcoa11905