Why Football players should Wrestle

rigger101

Eddie H.

I assume you are posting on how the two sports have nothing in common because you wrestled and it did not help in football, right....

I did not think so, you are not speaking from experience, and i would not dare to say what or where you are speaking from or out of, but it is not logic. The proof is there, so what if alot of NFL players played bball or piano, the thread is not about percentage that play what sports, its about how wrestling improves football players. Many football players came out for wrestling after the season, and they could not do the conditioning like the wrestlers could, they had to work to get in shape. Wrestling shape on average is better than condition in football. Think about it, in wrestling you get in shape, and you also have to take responsibility for your actions, there is no one to blame when you lose. Wrestling ties into life as well, the lessons i learned on the mat have helped me to this day, through everything. I never played football, and i am not claiming it helped me in football, but the people who did wrestle and play football, have moved up on the depth chart. You cannot argue with facts. I would assume that by reading all the stories about how it helps would open your mind, but whatever, and by the way, the "underwear" is called a singlet. Say what you want about wrestling, i am wrestling in college, and it has taught me discipline needed to succeed in life. Oh and i resentt he statement of little athletic ability, apparently you have no clue about the sport.

Wrestling, a sport mentioned in the Bible cannot be wrong.

I'm glad you guys are the only ones "in" on the big secret. Think about it, if it really helped that much, than everyone would be wrestling. As for football players not being in wrestling shape, that is as you put it an ignorant statement because the same could be said the other way around. Each sport has its own physical demands and you can't transition from any one to another and be in perfect shape for that sport. My point on the other things is that just because there are a "few" wrestlers who are good at football doesn't make it some great training ground for football players. Typically wrestlers who "think" there sport is so much harder than others is because they feel bad that no one cares one little bit about a wrestling mat.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you guys are the only ones "in" on the big secret. Thank You! We are. Think about it, if it really helped that much, than everyone would be wrestling. Only the good ones . Go to the NFL Article and check out that list. As for football players not being in wrestling shape, that is as you put it an ignorant statement (WRONG!) because the same could be said the other way around. Each sport has its own physical demands and you can't transition from any one to another and be in perfect shape for that sport. DUDE, YOUR MISSING THE BOAT. YOUR DROWING IN THE RIVER OF DE-NILE! My point on the other things is that just because there are a "few(ALL SEC, ALL AMERICAN AND ALL PROs) wrestlers who are good at football doesn't make it some great training ground for football players. Typically wrestlers who "think" there sport is so much harder than others is because they feel bad that no one cares one little bit about a wrestling mat.

Why all the anger? Did a wrestler take your girl in High School?

Please, come to Clarksvlille for the State Duals and to the round house at UTC for the State as my guest. Then I think you will see a sport that folks love.

UTC had to move it to the round house because the other gym wasn't big enough to hold all the fans.

Also, did you read any of the articles?

If you don't know how, go and find the Beaves Mom and she can show U!

:thumb:2163.jpg This State Wrestling Champ and KIL leader in sacks and tackles would tell you your wrong and so would his All Pro NFL father.

Edited by rigger101

Eddie

Apparently you have not heard of wrestling in New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and most of the northern states. Plus last time i checked, which is an olympic sport dating back to the ancient times...., do you know yet, wrestling. I did not say in all cases it was harder conditioning, i said on average. Also, more energy is expended in a wrestling match, it is man on man, and you can't blame someone else for a mistake.

Ok, this has gotten too much off topic, unless you wrestle don't insult the sport and say no one cares, this is the south and football is big. However, people do care, therefore no one is a huge overstatement, the support is growing. Did you wrestle, have you seen a football player suffer from what he learned in wrestling. I doubt you have, weight loss is not required. What is wrong with conditioning, speed, explosiveness, and the like in the offseason of football. As far as i am concerned you have just gotten on here to insult the sport of wrestling and put it down. If you have some facts showing that wrestling and football are nothing alike and do not tie in together, go ahead post them, but do not insult a sport that you do not know about. As was said earlier, every muscle group is used in wrestling, and there are no time outs or people to pick up the slack and substitute in when you get in trouble. And the weight normally lost in wrestling is excessive body weight, and the new rules do keep someone from losing below a healthy weight. I just want you to answer this question without insult, if you can control yourself. In what way do the skills learned in wrestling effect a football player in a negative way, and mind you, weight is now monitored safely? Lets get back on topic how about it.

Wrestling, a sport mentioned in the Bible cannot be wrong.

Edited by alcoa11905

Think about it, if it really helped that much, than everyone would be wrestling. As for football players not being in wrestling shape, that is as you put it an ignorant statement because the same could be said the other way around.

When did i say ignorant statement???, I may have but i haven't found it, plus the reason they are not all wrestling is because they do not all know the benefits, hence the point of this post, to spread the word.

When did i say ignorant statement???, I may have but i haven't found it, plus the reason they are not all wrestling is because they do not all know the benefits, hence the point of this post, to spread the word.

Eddie has been fighting this battle since Dec 03! Eddie has been the voice of dissension on this board for years and is an Antagonist!

LOOKS LIKE HE IS A LIBSCOMB FAN WHO SAYS ON PRIOR POST THAT HE TRIED WRESTLING AND IT WASN'T THAT HARD.

At his school they have had some good wrestlers so it's sad that he dosn't get it. Maybe the team he wrestled for 1 day wasn't very good.

Then again, he has kept this topic going so "Bless his heart".

At this point it has been viewed by over 600 folks.

Edited by rigger101

Wow! Ricky Williams wrestled? Now that is proof of why football players should wrestle if I have ever heard it. Look how his life has turned out. Great example.

I believe I would have left that one off the list.

I thought about it.

However, the Heisman, 1st round draft and all pro is hard to ignore.

Eddie H, your making yourself look silly!

Univ of TN!

2 Nobel Laureates

7 Rhodes Scholars

6 Pulitzer Prizes

10 Astronauts

They also play a little Football!

rtblogo.jpg

QUOTE(eddie haskell @ Sep 29 2005 - 12:33 PM)

wrestling has as much to do with football as academics does with UT. Take this to the wrestling board where someone cares about it.

Eddie, I never had a reply on the UT Post! ;)

Why would he respond, he has not responded to my post requeting info on the negative benifits either, he talks, but thats all he does. He cannot cite facts proving that wrestling has negative benefits, or point out how they have nothing in common. He has not even told me where ignorant statement appears in my post. Eddie H is full of himself, he does not even recognize another noble sport. I doubt he will come back with proof, thats what people like him do, they stir things up and dissapear.

Eddie H. :

I played football from age 9 to age 18, and I wrestled from age 12 to 18. Wrestling can definitely help people become better football players. Football shape is nothing compared to wrestling shape, and I will put no clause on this statement, either concerning muscular endurance/explosiveness or cardiovascular shape. I challenge you to find one single person that has had the same experience as I have (from football season straight to wrestling season) that will deny this. Whether or not the wrestling coaches train them as hard in practice as the football coaches at their school (bad wrestling programs may fall under this category), six minutes on the mat up to five times a day in tournaments makes all that time in the huddle and resting on the sideline when either your offense or defense is on the field seem easy.

Aside from that, the mental toughness and aggressiveness that comes with wrestling can really help young athletes develop good habits as far as self-discipline. You won't see a lot of prima donnas busting their butts on the wrestling mat, but you won't be hard pressed to find them strutting around the field on Friday nights.

The statement that unathletic kids find success in wrestling is way off base. Do they have a chance? Yes, but only through extreme training and dedication - this goes for any sport at the high school level. Will this make them wrestling state champs? No. Attend the finals of the TSSAA state championships, and you will see some outstanding athletes.

Eddie H., for you to have read so far into the thread to reply after so many other posts, you obviously have some kind of interest in the subject. I somehow get the sneaking suspicion that poor Eddie couldn't cut it in wrestling - it's ok man, it's not for everyone. As I need not tell you, the physically or mentally weak won't find it worth their time, and their lack of personal substance needed to get on the mat is generally concurrent as their lack of "personal substance" needed to confidently wear a singlet (or underwear, to those with an IQ of 50) in front of a gym full of people.

It's a shame your lack of substance (either the first, second, or combination of the said situations) brings you to attack a very pure and great sport.

Eddie H. :

I played football from age 9 to age 18, and I wrestled from age 12 to 18. Wrestling can definitely help people become better football players. Football shape is nothing compared to wrestling shape, and I will put no clause on this statement, either concerning muscular endurance/explosiveness or cardiovascular shape. I challenge you to find one single person that has had the same experience as I have (from football season straight to wrestling season) that will deny this. Whether or not the wrestling coaches train them as hard in practice as the football coaches at their school (bad wrestling programs may fall under this category), six minutes on the mat up to five times a day in tournaments makes all that time in the huddle and resting on the sideline when either your offense or defense is on the field seem easy.

Aside from that, the mental toughness and aggressiveness that comes with wrestling can really help young athletes develop good habits as far as self-discipline. You won't see a lot of prima donnas busting their butts on the wrestling mat, but you won't be hard pressed to find them strutting around the field on Friday nights.

The statement that unathletic kids find success in wrestling is way off base. Do they have a chance? Yes, but only through extreme training and dedication - this goes for any sport at the high school level. Will this make them wrestling state champs? No. Attend the finals of the TSSAA state championships, and you will see some outstanding athletes.

Eddie H., for you to have read so far into the thread to reply after so many other posts, you obviously have some kind of interest in the subject. I somehow get the sneaking suspicion that poor Eddie couldn't cut it in wrestling - it's ok man, it's not for everyone. As I need not tell you, the physically or mentally weak won't find it worth their time, and their lack of personal substance needed to get on the mat is generally concurrent as their lack of "personal substance" needed to confidently wear a singlet (or underwear, to those with an IQ of 50) in front of a gym full of people.

It's a shame your lack of substance (either the first, second, or combination of the said situations) brings you to attack a very pure and great sport.

Awesome and very well written and said post. I seriously doubt that we will hear from Eddie, it did surprise me how he could insult wrestling by saying it had needed little athletic ability to compete. Winners can start as pudgy freshman, and then work their but off untill they are state medalists, it is all in how you apply yourself, it is very much about expanding your horizons. To wrestle in high school is to step into a high level of competition outside of your comfort zone, as i move into college wrestling i will take that step again. Wrestling taught me to be mentally tough and tackle a state champ without hesitation, or spar with a partner with great energy. I never played football, but i can not see where it would hurt. And it does take courage to don the singlet for the first time as a freshman, but after all the years of wrestling, its nothing more than putting on cleats is too football players, its all in your head, just like the false facts you do or do not present to us Eddie. I am proud of the singlet, it is my uniform, i am proud of my background, and i am confident in what i post, due to you negelcting to respond, i doubt you can say the same.

Once again great post fromfieldtopitch