OS91

This board is comical.

Now, rednecks & private school insults are being thrown around regarding the a CAK & Oliver Springs football game. This is a high schoolfootball game, not a culture clash. But, if we must focus on factual differences, lets do this regarding the two schools.

Just to dispel some myths, when did Oliver Springs become known for being "redneck"? Last time I checked, the city of Oliver Springs was considered part of the Knoxville metropolitan area and counted toward its metro census. Kingston's, Harriman's, and Sweetwater, and other cities that attempt to look down at Oliver Springs are not INCLUDED in this count which is considered the 64th largest Metro area in the United States. Additionally, understanding the geography of Oliver Springs in comparison to CAK's, its only located a 15 minutes from CAK's campus in West Knoxville ( when Pelissippi Trfaffic is moving at a decent speed). With the campuses so close together, how does people that are just separated by just 15 minutes of traveling on Pellissippi parkway ( through Oak Ridge which is one of the most technological advanced places in the world) suddenly become the poster child for rednecks ? Maybe its an inferiority complex that they are indeed not WEBB and they know it. Let's read on.

Possibly, a couple CAK posters need to get off their elite "I'm in a private school" attitude and realize they support CAK, not WEBB. There is a HUGE difference between those two schools. WEB school sends its students to IVY leagues schools, Vandy, UNC, DUKE, Northwestern. MIT, Stanford, and so forth and its lower echelon students attend the University of Tennessee.

CAK sends their kids to Carson Newman( not that there is anything wrong with that) and other private christian schools along with some kids to UT. While I am certain CAK adheres to its principle beliefs of instilling Christian beliefs into its students while giving them some of the basic education of public schools that don't conflict with their Christian beliefs, that doesn't mean CAK is any better than any other pubic school whose students mostly adhere to the same Christian ideologies.

In fact, there can be a more validated argument that public school like Oliver Springs indeed makes for more rounded individuals who can adapt to a complex population that is full of many religions, ethnicites, cultures, and so forth and they won't seem "lost" and "confused" when assimilating into the American population.

Last time I checked, that was far from being a redneck attribute. The redneck attribute last time I checked was a group of people that impose self boundaries and attempt to keep people that aren't like them away from their beliefs. The difference is most students at Oliver Springs don't feel a need to run to a private school to excersise their values and put them on display in a private school.

Moreover,I am certain if you do a comparison, academics and test scores at CAK are closer to scores at Oliver Springs, than WEBB when you compare test scores. Interestingly Enough, Students at Oliver Springs don't have to pay 3500 to 5000 per year for their education in addition to paying taxes like CAK parents do. In my opinion, this makes the parents of Oliver Springs more intelligent for utilizing a system that works perfectly without wasting money and "hiding" their kids from the world.

Oliver Springs 27 CAK 21

2 years ago, didn't CAK lose a scrimmage game to OS something like 70-21?

I think so...

Edited by OS91

Announcements