Stratford downed by Hickman Co.

balldad

Travelled to Centerville to see the Spartans this evening and was sorely disappointed. Lot of athletes on the field and a good amount of size upfront. However, it all seemed wasted on the shotgun/run and shoot that Stratford was going for. Never got a good feel for the offense after the first series. They have a good back with some serious "make em miss" ability, however with very little variety and even less creativity in the play calling, the offense never really got any momentum.

Hickman County moved the ball well all night. First half was just steady wing-t with a new wrinkle here and there that just crept along until they found a breakdown and went up 7-0. Stratford ties on a long pass for a big strike and tied at half.

Second half opens with HC scoring on first play from scrimmage. From there it was simply Stratford throwing it all over the place with nothing to show for it. Admittedly the kids playing receiver are incredible, but what good does that do if you outrun your quarterback's arm every play? HC was not overly impressive on defense, with the exception of a big hit in the backfield on 2-3 plays early and just shadowing wideouts late.

HC tried to give it away with fumble on 3rd and 3 to pretty much seal the game late, and Stratford mounts an impressive drive, but 50 percent pass completion means 1 of the 2 you throw in the last drive is gonna fall incomplete and so Bulldogs win. Congratulations.

Must admit, Hickman County can look pretty good at times. It sure is good to see a school make an adjustment and play to what little strengths they have with a sound wing-T.

Guest catfish-hunter

The loss to Lawrence Co. will really hurt their playoff chances but this is still a win I did not see coming. Congrats to coach Swenson and his bunch on what may have been the biggest shocker in the midstate last night.

The loss to Lawrence Co. will really hurt their playoff chances but this is still a win I did not see coming. Congrats to coach Swenson and his bunch on what may have been the biggest shocker in the midstate last night.

It nice to hear "playoffs" and "Hickman County" in the same sentence, but.... in reality we are set up for a 4-6 season with two, I mean TWO regional wins. How awesome is that?!?!?!

The parents, the administration AND all of Hickman County must be very proud of Coach Swenson, his staff and this team. It is so much fun to roam the sidelines and see all of this happening.

And congrats to the Seniors for winning homecoming. Thanks to the Huntingdon folks for coming to the game again. You all have to keep coming back!!

It nice to hear "playoffs" and "Hickman County" in the same sentence, but.... in reality we are set up for a 4-6 season with two, I mean TWO regional wins. How awesome is that?!?!?!

The parents, the administration AND all of Hickman County must be very proud of Coach Swenson, his staff and this team. It is so much fun to roam the sidelines and see all of this happening.

And congrats to the Seniors for winning homecoming. Thanks to the Huntingdon folks for coming to the game again. You all have to keep coming back!!

I wouldn't count the old ball coach out just yet. You never know what may transpire. Its called coaching and outcoaching. :thumb: