Thomas Walker VA @ Cumberland Gap

Shotdoc

Final score:

Cumberland Gap 60

Thomas Walker 6

Everybody got to play, nobody got hurt. Great game!

Congratulations to all of the Panthers.

Happy Valley stomped North Greene, South Greene stomped Gatlinburg Pittman. You have already beaten the best competition in the region, now take these last 3 games 1 at a time.

I just looked at the bracket on TSSAA, and if you continue to win, you will have 4 post season games at home, right through the semi-finals.

How great is it to be in control of your own destiny?

Go take care of business, one game at a time!

I am so proud of all of you!

;)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, this was an ugly one. Cold, raining, windy, and just an absolute woodshed beating by the Panthers.

Cumberland Gap has a very well-coached football team, and I think they will do well. Thomas Walker, on the other hand, is in a world of trouble. They only had about 20 kids dressed out, and a couple of them limped off the field. Hopefully things will get better for the Pioneers.

I'd be anxious to see the Panthers play some of the West Tennessee 2A teams like Huntingdon, Milan, Westview, etc. -- they would know where they stand then. But in the region they are in now, they seem to be fairly solid.

Alcoa may make short work of them in the playoffs, but CG has a chance to go 2-3 rounds deep before they run into the Tornadoes.

If the Panther continue to win, they will face Alcoa at Cumberland Gap in the round 3 Quarterfinals on November 18.

The only things I see lacking in Cumberland Gap are numbers (which are still growing) and tradition (which is winning + time).

Cumberland Gap is only 3 years old. A lot of local folks still talk about Powell Valley like they expect the old high school to be resurrected. It will not. It is now Powell Valley Elemtary K-8. Forge Ridge is also K-8.

My hat is off to all of the great former players at Powell Valley and Forge Ridge. You have given us some great memories to keep forever.

I can sense a turning of the tide, and a new tradition being born with this year's crop of Panthers.

I know that Alcoa is very good. I know they have a great tradition. I know that Alcoa and Cumberland Gap have to win 5 more games each to even meet on the gridiron. I also know that game is like a dangling carrot in front of Gap fans.

I'm starting to smell carrot soup, and I can't help wanting to taste it.

If the Panther continue to win, they will face Alcoa at Cumberland Gap in the round 3 Quarterfinals on November 18.

Cumberland Gap is only 3 years old. A lot of local folks still talk about Powell Valley like they expect the old high school to be resurrected. It will not. It is now Powell Valley Elemtary K-8. Forge Ridge is also K-8.

My hat is off to all of the great former players at Powell Valley and Forge Ridge. You have given us some great memories to keep forever.

I can sense a turning of the tide, and a new tradition being born with this year's crop of Panthers.

I know that Alcoa is very good. I know they have a great tradition. I know that Alcoa and Cumberland Gap have to win 5 more games each to even meet on the gridiron. I also know that game is like a dangling carrot in front of Gap fans.

I'm starting to smell carrot soup, and I can't help wanting to taste it.

I hope I can say this without it being misunderstood.

First off, the Panthers are doing very well this year and their current record shows it. Last year was not a very good year for us. The biggest difference in last year and this year is experience in the Panthers and their opposition. I will explain later.

As anyone who was around can recall, GP and HV were the powerhouses in the area in the Gap's first year. Since then, many of their best players (GP and HV) have since graduated, thus leaving them with a younger and less experienced team. This has put them in a "rebuilding" year, much like the Panthers were last year. If I recall correctly, the first Panthers team (2 years ago) was a very experienced team consisting mainly of Seniors who played all 4 years. Because of the opposition's experience thru last year, it made them very tough to beat. Add to that, the youth and inexperience of last year's Panthers, and you can see why last year was tough. What a difference a year can make.

All I ask of you is to not get the "big head" and think you are invincible. Much of your competition this year is not as tough as last year and previous years, as was the case with Rutledge and Thomas Walker. Just remember what happened last year, and appreciate your accomplishments for this season. The real test will begin in a few weeks when you make it to the playoffs. (Notice I said when you make it, not if) The Panthers are on track and focused on what is going on now, but if you meet up with teams like Alcoa, it will not be a cake walk, as this season has been. They continually produce quality teams that are able to give you a run for your money, and if you don't stay focused, you will wonder what happened.

My only advice for you now is to stay focused on the next game...not the playoffs. If you don't give full attention to each upcoming game, your train can quickly become derailed.

Congratulations on your wins so far this season and good luck with the remaining season.

Edited by CG Panther Dad

Well put Panther Dad!

The Gap will have a lot of shoring up to do to replace this year's crop of seniors.

Next season will be the first "All Panther" squad, and will be tested weekly.

I wish they had a few more Juniors coming back. Only Mark Hassler, Tyler Griffen, Nathan Hoffeditz, and Marty Sellars return as Seniors. All are playing well, and will be a small but good nucleus along with Brad Beason and Jake Shipley next season.

Fortunately, everbody else will graduate all of their Seniors too (some more than others), every year.

The only part I disagree with you on is the "Cakewalk" this year. Coalfield 19-21, South Greene 10-7, Happy Valley 37-30, are all games that could have gone either way. And the schedule wasn't loaded with patsies, it is essentially the same schedule every year, as long as there is no division shift.

My advice to the team is an echo to yours. Stay focused on the next game! That's the biggest game of the season!

:justwrestle:

This game was never close as the Panthers rolled over the outmanned Pioneers 60-6. Everybody played and everybody contributed in this win for CG. Thomas Walker fought hard but couldn't match up nearly enough with the Panthers. Congrats guys on a big win. Saw some good things from some players that don't get a lot of recognition. That's the good thing about games like this. Players gain valuable field time which allows for depth going into the playoffs. And if you don't know depth is huge in the postseason. Now for you guys talking about Alcoa and all this and that. These guys don't need to be thinking about Alcoa or anything right now but their next opponent and I'm sure that that's what they're doing. North Greene comes to town this week and it is a must for the Panthers. Good job on Friday guys.

Panther Pride!!!!