Temple @ Whitwell

Shadrick69

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally- I think that snails and mocs3 have some good points- however, I will say this- I would have no problem going up to oldtime- or anyone else for that matter and telling them exactly what is on my mind-believe me- that is not something I struggle with- the other thing is that I happen to know b/c of certain connections, and b/c I do have some knowledge of football- having played, that they were very good calls- where coach beard and skogen wanted the ball was available, some were not capitalized on- therefore appear to be bad calls- but you HAVE to know that not EVERY good play call automatically works- I also know that players do-yes- make mistakes- Seth would acknowledge his fumble as a mistake- Kevin would admit his missed opportunites throwing- to be mistakes, as would the wideouts who ran bad routes- as would the captains who changed certain play calls in the huddle- or who made bad descisions- the least of temple's problems the other night was coaching- there were much bigger dominate mistakes made that need to be addressed- and the coaches Im sure will address them-

oldtime does not criticize players- and this is the first time I have heard him criticizing temple on coacht- I just think any criticizm at this point-esp. to coaches in uncalled for...

and whoever said it pushed some people over the top- b/c of a build up or complaining from temple's fans and parents- I think nailed it...

As a Temple fan, I really don't understand why some people are on Oldtimers case. I read his post and all he said was that "there were some bad play calls made by Temple in some crucial situations." I was at the game and I am going to have to agree with him on this point.

For one, there was one player that was doing some great things at one point in the first half of the 4th quarter and Temple never went to that particular player for anything in the last several minutes of the game. I can't remember all the details but when you only have to get 4 or 5 yards for a first down and you have a guy that is getting about 10 yards (on the average) per carry, why would you not go to that guy?

I am by no means trying to be critical of the coaches or players, but I'm just wanting them to look at the game tape and analyze it and see if they did the right things in certain situations. Surely we could learn from it and make adjustments for future games.

I would hope that the coaching staff would not be so closed minded that they wouldn't take some constructive criticism from fans that might just know more about football than they might think. I will assure you that the coaching staff and players has the support of the majority of Temple fans and would trust that they would be thankful that they do.

We should put this particular game behind us, but we should also learn some lessons from it for the remaining three games. I hope and pray that we have a good spirit as we finish out the season and do our best to support each other the rest of the season. We have a great bunch of fellas and I'm thankful to be a part of Temple football. I anticipate good things to happen in the weeks ahead and believe everyone on the team will give their best effort to beat S. Pitt, Copper Basin and Grace.

Let's close the book on this post and move forward.

This is Coach Skogen and I would like to make a few observations:

First, I have not written under another name as to hide who I am, this is my first post in this discussion.

Second, 99% of Temple fans are wonderful. They are supportive, helpful and know that the game is for the kids. They celebrate when we win and are consoling and encouraging when we lose, to both players and coachs. It is a pleasure to serve you and our school.

Third, I have a lot to learn about coaching. I am the first to tell you that I didn't do everything right vs. Whitwell or for that matter in any game and there are some things I wish I could do over. Hopefully, I will learn as will my players and get better.

Fourth, I appreciate those of you who have defended me and Coach Beard, that is kind of you. However, people can have opinions and even ones that we don't agree with, it makes sports discussions fun. Keep in mind however, that everything is not as it appears, there are pieces to the puzzle, big pieces that oldtimeballer, templefanforlife and others, don't have. If they knew, for instance, everything that the coaches know about what happened and why, they would conclude differently. But as my college coach use to say, "They don't know, that they don't know."

Fifth, to the less than 1% that find it necessary to berate the players publically during a game, it is time for you to take a good long look at yourself. You can go ahead and continue to humiliate yourself by yelling at the coaches, because you only make it obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. But stop ridiculing the kids. They are 15-17 year olds playing their hearts out, some of them with injuries. They deserve your respect, not your ignorant criticism. Just think about what you are going to say before you speak. I think our Scripture has much to say about that. Eph 4:29 "Let no corrupt word come out of your mouth but only what is necessary for edification..."

Sixth, and most importantly, the kids playing football at Temple have my uttermost respect. I honor them for what they are trying to do with 17 players and the effort they put forth to do it. There were big expectations and we haven't lived up to them all, but never forget, this is just a game. I count myself blessed to be in the trenches with you all.

PS-Templefan, we tried to go to Dee again, many times, but there were other factors.

PSS After watching the tape, I can find one red zone play call that I would do over, the rest of them were just what we wanted, but we just didn't make it happen.