Oneida vs. Sunbright

piledriver22

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little unrest in the Indian camp? One year will not make or break this school's excellent tradition. Give it time! The sets are different, the terminology is different, the personalities are new, and the expectations are always high. I sure hope no one is ready to up and run out on the kids. That is the bottom line isn't it?

Kaz, I think you're right on the money. Unfortunately, there are some people in the community who would shoot down this coaching staff regardless of how well or how poor the team played. I guess any time you have a change at the helm you deal with that sort of thing but the really unfortunate part is that, almost from day one and certainly as soon as Oneida lost to Coalfield, there have been all sorts of rumors floating around about this coach is going to be fired and that coach is going to give up and go back to wherever he came from and that sort of thing. Most of these rumors are unfounded and are being spread by a select few folks who ought to know better. Has the team played up to its potential this year? Of course not. I don't think anyone - least of all the coaches - would try to say otherwise. I think it's been a disappointing season for anyone associated with Oneida. But as you pointed out, everything is different. I've never seen a program at any level of football, from junior high to the pros, where a completely new coaching staff can come on board and the team hit the ground running without some time to adjust. Now I'm not a life-long member of the Oneida family. I am a Highlander by birth. Oneida is sorta my "adopted" school (though I haven't forgotten my SHS roots ;)). So maybe I'm off-target here, but I was always under the assumption that there was something different about Oneida; that there was something to this "Tribe Pride" ... That Oneidians stuck together, no matter what. Frankly, that's not what I'm seeing with the vicious criticism of this year's team. I've heard the comments, but I don't agree with them. Oneida still controls its own destiny as far as the playoffs are concerned. A fourth place finish might not be what anyone wanted, but it's still something to be proud of in the region that is, from top to bottom, arguably the best in 1A football. And IF Oneida makes the playoffs, that means Greenback, with their great, storied football history, stays at home. That's something to think about.

This Oneida program is in good hands. Jim Burchfield is a great coach. Tony Lambert is a great coach. Top to bottom, to a man, this staff is made up of coaches that could step in at any high school around and make the coaching staff better. And at the middle school level, the coaching staff is the best I have seen around this area at the jr. high level, so the "feeder program" is going to supplement the high school well for a long time to come. Oneida High School football will be back, and it will be back very soon. In the meantime, everyone needs to cut the coaches some slack.

Sorry to ramble. :D

Edited by WrittenWord

Here comes the dumbest of all questions, where is the game being played at? :thumb: I haven't been in circulation much this week. Now about my earlier comments, WW you are very close in your summation of my post. I, too, think the Indians have assembled a quality coaching staff. Burchfield is well respected by a great many peers and will have the program humming again before long. I know from personnal experience, he is the guy to get it done. Without blowing his horn too loud, Lambert has just done an exceptional job keeping this club in ballgames with his defense. Wampler, by most accounts, has a capable grasp of his offense that the Indians have just failed to execute consistently. I'm sure if it clicks, it is hard to stop. The coaches should not get discouraged, there is talent in these hills and they can get it out of them if they keep on working hard. It is the road less traveled that makes a team appreciate their future success!

:thumb: Kaz :lol:

as i said i think this one will go to oneida. they have many athletes but they havent been working as a team. there are a few problems on the offensive side of the ball. the players are going to have to think and work together. there is a tramendous amount of talent on this team with the line running backs and recievers so i think oneida will turn this one around and give a good gave for the fans. but coach TL has put together and created a great D. Although sunbright has probably the best reciever in the east i think oneidas corners will stop him. and with the d line sunbright shouldnt be able to run alot for big gains. also oneida has to win this to stay in contention for play-offs so u know they are goin to give there all and carry on the tradition at oneida.

Oneida 35

Sunbright 7

GO INDIANS!!!!! take it :thumb: to um