Why I Coach

tnsparty

I coach the OL at a middle school. Saturday we played in the Independence Bowl. Our season was a struggle. We lost quite a few very good players to injuries and played a very tough schedule. We have a kid that has been unable to practice in pads all season because of a medical condition where this winter he will probably need his spleen removed to correct it. He came to every practice and while we were working in pads he would run around the track and help us as needed.

We had pictures on Saturday before the game and he dressed in full pads for his pictures. He was in pads on the sidelines for the bowl. I was thinking about how I could get him in for a play without risking any injury. His mom was in the stands and she told my son that according to his Dr. he was OK to play. I verified with them that it was OK. He's a tough kid. I put him in at G on a qb sneak and then tried to pull him out when we punted but he wanted to stay in. I let him. After the punt cover he came off the field and came up to me and his eyes were teared but he had a huge smile on his face.

Needless to say my eyes teared up right then and there. We think we're big and tough but then something like this happens and we find out we are very human. This season was a tough one for us. Those 2 plays made it all worth while. His father came up to me after the game and thanked me for getting him in those 2 plays. It was my pleasure. If I thought for one second that he was in danger of complicating his condition, I wouldn't have put him in. I realized again, that's why I coach.

that's a great story

those kind of kids, and those once in a lifetime experiences are why we coach

He is a great kid that eats, sleeps and breathes football. It crushed him when he had to sit out this year. He has stayed positive and is looking forward to getting better so he can play next year. I did the easy part getting him in 2 plays. He's done the hard part.

He is a great kid that eats, sleeps and breathes football. It crushed him when he had to sit out this year. He has stayed positive and is looking forward to getting better so he can play next year. I did the easy part getting him in 2 plays. He's done the hard part.

Way to go Coach :thumb:

;)

BTW, how did your team fair?

Who all was in the bowl?

Any bright spots for the future on Friday nights for us fans to watchout for?

Edited by SACDAWGS

Way to go Coach :D

:D

BTW, how did your team fair?

Who all was in the bowl?

Any bright spots for the future on Friday nights for us fans to watchout for?

The scores were:

Fairview 48 Lewisburg 28

Whitthorne 32 Franklin Freedom 6

Heritage 30 Mt Pleasant 6

There were quite a few kids that you will hear about in the next 4 years. Fairview always is tough. A couple players stood out, Ethan Cassidy & Logan Cavender. I believe Ethan's brother is FHS running back this year. Ethan is a tough kid that will do well on Firdays.

Lewisburg like Heritage was down a little this year. I'm not sure who their best players are but they had some good ones that will play well for sure.

Whitthorne is an excellant football team. Coach Bullock in his first year there did an excellant job. We scrimmaged them pretty even early in the season. They beat a very good Freedom team Saturday. RB Quashaun Moore and receiver Bryant Belew (Columbia HS Coach's son) are ball players. There are quite a few others also. Things look bright for Columbia Central with the group they are getting from Whitthorne.

Freedom also has some kids that will help Franklin HS out quite a bit. Keylo Lee and Timothy Harris will be names we hear about in the next couple years.

Mt. Pleasant had a big running back, Tristen Tisby that will help the high school out. Coach Case's kids play hard and his teams will get better the longer he is there.

At Heritage we had a tough year. This was our lone full Varsity win of the season. The injury bug got us early. Lost 2 games in OT and played a pretty tough schedule. Alex Heckman is one of the smartest and toughest kids I have been associated with. Another running back (Jeremy Coffey) will probably go to PJPII where his brother goes. Brandon Boatman has the potential to be a very good receiver. We lost our #1 RB in the first game (Brett Meeker). After he was lost we were a completely different team.

All in all it was a fun day that IHS plans to make a yearly event and expand it to at least 8 teams. You'll hear a bunch about quite a few of the kids that played Saturday.

that was touching coach. i to coach. i am the head coach and defensive cordinator for the cosby high school eagles. last friday we played hampton. at one point in the game i went out during a time out to talk to my defense. before i getin to this storu let me say sometimes as coaches we think about winning all the time and forget about the impact we have on the kids we coach. i love my guys as if veryone were my son. heck they may as well be i dony have any kids of my own. anyway as i told them what i was expecting hampton to do. i made a few adjustments and had some of my players to key theres. we needed this stop to keep them from scoring. before i left i told them to make this stop for themselves and each other. one of my captins said no we do it for you coach and they broke the huddle on my last name (shelton) as i left the feild my eyes teard up. i raised my head to see hamptons chain gang with a big smile on there face which made matters worse. long story short they scored on exactly what i said was coming. we were all over it. the tight end 6'3'' made a great catch on my BIG HEARTED 5'9'' corner. next hampton posetion we held them to a punt. my BIG HEARTED corner and his twin brother (captin that said we do it for you) made a great play. the captin blocked the punt and BIG HEARTED picked it up and ran untill he was draged down. they both came to me and said that was for you coach. COACHING man its wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!