Maryville Vs Halls

rebelman16

Rebel,

Lucas definetely has an arm. However, his receivers make big plays for him. If the ball is close they usually snag it. Comparisons to Watts & Helton may be a little unfair. Lucas is similar to Watts in the fact he likes to throw when moving around in the pocket and I think he throws a better deep ball than Helton. But in reality he only throws when he has too. Now is that because of the coaching staff making him do this? or does he like to scramble more than throw? still remains unclear. I just think he doesn't see the field as well when he rolls to one side. So if he was put in a Watts & Helton system providing him more time to find an alternate receiver if his first choice is covered, he could well be passing for Helton type yardage. But how can you argue with 9 td's and only 1 int. I know you have to be impressed with that.

Again, I agree with your earlier post on we will have to pass more to make this game interesting. But I will be surprised if we do.

I'm not trying to start something here, but is that a knock on the Halls coaching staff? The only reason I ask is because I believe everyone thought Halls would be looking at 5th, maybe 6th in this region in the preseason. Now, if a few plays would've gone Halls way at Powell and Central, the game vs Maryville would have had huge implications. Halls is the most improved team from last year to this year if you ask me. The coaches know their players and what they're capable of. They also know that in this region you have to be able to run the ball, so having more running attempts than passes is obvious. Halls is averaging nearly 30 points a game. Obviously they're doing something right on offense since that average was probably 14 or something like that the past 3 years. They scored 14 on Central..where in the past 5 years they averaged like 3 a game vs. the Bobcats. Be patient, you have to be able to run the ball to win ballgames.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to start something here, but is that a knock on the Halls coaching staff? The only reason I ask is because I believe everyone thought Halls would be looking at 5th, maybe 6th in this region in the preseason. Now, if a few plays would've gone Halls way at Powell and Central, the game vs Maryville would have had huge implications. Halls is the most improved team from last year to this year if you ask me. The coaches know their players and what they're capable of. They also know that in this region you have to be able to run the ball, so having more running attempts than passes is obvious. Halls is averaging nearly 30 points a game. Obviously they're doing something right on offense since that average was probably 14 or something like that the past 3 years. They scored 14 on Central..where in the past 5 years they averaged like 3 a game vs. the Bobcats. Be patient, you have to be able to run the ball to win ballgames.

Not at all PVT. The coaching staff I feel has addressed the need for the team emphasis. Seniors and underclassmen alike are both contributing. I would be the first to tell you what a turn around offensively we have made. The numbers speak for themselves. I was comparing Lucas in a Helton system only in the passing game.Given time he could see the field more and roll up some Z.Helton numbers. We are still mainly a running team and a good one at that. But maybe it's me but I don't think we will air it out unless we get behind like we did against Powell. Agree.

Boruff(3) 43yard td Gibbs, 34yard td Lenoir City, 27yard td Powell

Dayton(3) 40yard td Central, 50yard td West, 20yard td Clinton

Rhinehart(1) 50yard td Clinton Large(1) 24yard td Seiver County

Are those the true passing stats. Just wondering. I've seen stats like that before and if you really look at it, the QB threw a screen and the receiver took it for 50ydsm, but he is credited with a 50 yd td pass. Just wondering, I saw that some were trying to make the comparison to Z. Helton.

Are those the true passing stats. Just wondering. I've seen stats like that before and if you really look at it, the QB threw a screen and the receiver took it for 50ydsm, but he is credited with a 50 yd td pass. Just wondering, I saw that some were trying to make the comparison to Z. Helton.

Good point.

The only one that I remember being a short pass and running the distance was I think Rhinehart's td against Clinton.The pass covered about 10 yards and he juked and sliced throught the Dragon secondary for 40 yards. All the others mentioned were caught in the endzone or a few yards from it. Most covered over 30 yards in the air.

Edited by ZCAR

Not at all PVT. The coaching staff I feel has addressed the need for the team emphasis. Seniors and underclassmen alike are both contributing. I would be the first to tell you what a turn around offensively we have made. The numbers speak for themselves. I was comparing Lucas in a Helton system only in the passing game.Given time he could see the field more and roll up some Z.Helton numbers. We are still mainly a running team and a good one at that. But maybe it's me but I don't think we will air it out unless we get behind like we did against Powell. Agree.

Ok, I was just wondering what ya meant. I understand that most people want to air it out, but it's not always the best option. Granted, against Powell we should've thrown it sooner, but the kids just didn't play all that well in that game. A lot of penalties and mental mistakes. Also, though, they never gave up, so it just goes to show their heart. Now, here's a different angle to take. If you throw it more, that prolongs the game. Halls is all about trying to run down the clock. Call me crazy, but time of possession is big. The Halls D needs to stay off the field. Vandergriff is the only one up front that plays both ways most of the time and he's got great endurance. Reese is the only backer who plays both ways really. The corners play both ways. Halls has developed some depth throughout the year and hasn't used the TE that much, therefore Cox has mostly played defense. Now, by no means do they have the depth of Maryville, but they do have some depth. I think Lucas moving around to throw is by design. Halls has some tall linemen and Lucas is shorter than them, so you have to get him where he can see to throw it. Now, will we just air it out. No way. We'll throw when we need to and mix it up a bit. Now if we're down quite a bit, we'll throw it more, but I think we'll be running it mostly. We've got a lot more options as to what we can do this year. We're not one-dimensional. Ferguson can run, black, rhinehart, reese, lucas...they all can run. So we have inside, outside and option threats. Lucas can drop back, roll out, play fake and throw it. We're the most balanced within the running game...within the passing game...and overall that we've been in a really long time. Hats off to Don Ward and the offensive coaches at Halls for getting the offense turned in the right direction.

Good point.

The only one that I remember being a short pass and running the distance was I think Rhinehart's td against Clinton.The pass covered about 10 yards and he juked and sliced throught the Dragon secondary for 40 yards. All the others mentioned were caught in the endzone or a few yards from it. Most covered over 30 yards in the air.

Yes, Rhineharts was the only one that was a long run after a short catch. Dayton's catch at Central was about a 25 yard pass that was perfectly thrown, really just out of bounds but Dayton made the catch on the fade over his left shoulder and tight roped it in from about the 15 yard line to score. Dayton truly was the only one who had a shot at that ball and made a heck of a grab.

Ok, I was just wondering what ya meant. I understand that most people want to air it out, but it's not always the best option. Granted, against Powell we should've thrown it sooner, but the kids just didn't play all that well in that game. A lot of penalties and mental mistakes. Also, though, they never gave up, so it just goes to show their heart. Now, here's a different angle to take. If you throw it more, that prolongs the game. Halls is all about trying to run down the clock. Call me crazy, but time of possession is big. The Halls D needs to stay off the field. Vandergriff is the only one up front that plays both ways most of the time and he's got great endurance. Reese is the only backer who plays both ways really. The corners play both ways. Halls has developed some depth throughout the year and hasn't used the TE that much, therefore Cox has mostly played defense. Now, by no means do they have the depth of Maryville, but they do have some depth. I think Lucas moving around to throw is by design. Halls has some tall linemen and Lucas is shorter than them, so you have to get him where he can see to throw it. Now, will we just air it out. No way. We'll throw when we need to and mix it up a bit. Now if we're down quite a bit, we'll throw it more, but I think we'll be running it mostly. We've got a lot more options as to what we can do this year. We're not one-dimensional. Ferguson can run, black, rhinehart, reese, lucas...they all can run. So we have inside, outside and option threats. Lucas can drop back, roll out, play fake and throw it. We're the most balanced within the running game...within the passing game...and overall that we've been in a really long time. Hats off to Don Ward and the offensive coaches at Halls for getting the offense turned in the right direction.

PVT Couldn't have said it better myself. Thats why I feel like we won't pass much. We need to shorten the game and take a opportunity in the passing game when it presents itself. Which is pretty much what Don Ward and staff have done throughout the year. Depth is a lot better and some underclassmen are seeing regular action on special teams & offense. Defense is senior laden but if we get up on a opponent the JV's have had a lot of playing time(Gibbs,Clinton & L.C.). The only time I think we have been average this year is for five quarters. The first three in the Powell game and the last two in the Central game.

I agree about Lucas he is shorter and he is more comfortable moving around which gives him the option to run or pass. He has done this for three years so why change now. His numbers have improved a great deal this year:

This year 8 games 39 comp. 85 att. for 754 yards 9tds and 1 int.

Last year 10 games 42 comp. for 111 att. for 609 yards and 5tds and 6 ints.

I'll throw this in. Halls has to win the battle of the special teams. I don't remember who hit Hightower last week but we'll need more of that. I think Maples has returned one kickoff and two punt returns for touchdowns this year. I hope O'conner gets the hangtime needed for the coverage to contain him. Also, keep kicking that ball in the endzone on kickoffs. Eighty yards is along way to go.

Edited by ZCAR

Wow...touched a nerve I did? You'd be pleasantly surprised if you met me lifer. And I'm in pretty good standing with the Rebel fans, thanks. Ask any of them.

Now Raider, he's the pit bull. And he's proud of it.

Taking this a little too seriously you are? It'll be ok padawan. B)

Rebel Nation is easy to spot at any Maryville game. He looks just like his picture on the message boards. He doesn't always wear that hat though. And they won't let him bring the stick with the skull on it into the stadium. They are afraid he might put a flag on it.