Uniform Restrictions By Tssaa

banjodr

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I overheard a coach tell someone they had to get new uniforms because they were no longer allowed as of 2007 to wear gold. Is that true? Surely not. IF it is will TSSAA pay for the change? Just currious

The rule is home teams must wear (white) as their designated home color. No more wearing just a light color for home teams. I know many schools would wear golds, silvers, etc.... but that is no longer acceptable starting in 07. The road uni's must be of color and all home unis should be white.

Then will they fund their mandate? You guys know budgets ect. Now there's another magazene sale in the near future. It never ends

No, the schools have to foot the bill. This rule was told to the the coaches and school administration back in 03 or 04 to give the schools time to get money for the uni's. This rule is not new it just hasnt gone in effect yet. Not sure why you guys/gals have not heard this one till now. I'm sure its on the TSSAA website somewhere. Like I said I heard about this one a couple of years back.

Also have any of you heard about the untucked shirt rule? I have not been to a rules meeting yet but a fellow coach told me that at his meeting it was stressed that shirts untucked at (ALL) during a game could result in a "T". Actually untucked while on the floor period. He said even after the game is over and your kids are walking off the floor and untuck their shirts the officials could have the teams come back out and shoot technical free throws. I am all about looking clean and neat, shirt tales should be in but give me a break. Is there any truth to this or am I hearing exagerations?

While we are on the topic of uniforms, does anyone know the rules (or in the absence of rules, how a ref would react) regarding the length of shorts. I see that there is a rule that the uniform must be worn in the way it was made to be worn. In other words, over the hips and not pulled down. That part I've got. What I can't find a ruling on is a situation where a kid has gotten shorts (or wants to get shorts) that are a size or two too big and is wearing them below the knee. Are there any refs out there who can comment on their interpretation of uniform rules as it relates to the length of shorts so that I've got a higher authority to refer to in addition to "I'm just not gonna let you do it"?

I think the shirt tail rule does not effect a player if it comes out during playing action. If the player, however, intentionally pulls it out as a show of disrespect to an official, in a way that taunts an opponent, or to bring attention to themselves is when they get the "T".

Thats not really different from years past. I heard it was more severe like even during the course of play.

1. Coaches were informed of this rule three years ago so they could conform to this rule if they ordered uniforms in the mean time.

2. Shirts must stay tucked in during the course of play, should they become untucked players must tuck it in at the next opportunity (dead ball).

3. Short size does not matter as long as worn at the hips and no other clothing can be seen at bottom of shorts (sliding shorts).

As my daughter was told...

Shirts must be tucked in at all times. If the shirt becomes untucked, it will be pointed out to the player at the next dead ball. If the player is seen purposely untucking the shirt during play, it can be a "T". If a player is reacting to anything and untucks their shirt in reaction, it WILL be a "T", (FOULED OUT, DISAGREEABLE CALL, etc.) It is not ment to be a "DRESS" rule, but a rule to maintain control over "PERSONALITIES" on the floor.

... but then my daughter sometimes forgets or looses facts in tranlation.

I've seen the display that the rule is ment to stop, and I don't think it is a bad rule.