Ridgeway Not Ranked High Enough?

I posted earlier asking about this Ridgeway team and not too many people knew much about them. With them being undefeated (and with a tie to an out-of-state team) Should they not be ranked higher?

Im not sure about the teams they play or how dominant they are but if you were a coach and you was the only other undefeated team in 5A, wouldn't you want to be ranked higher. (I know rankings don't mean much but this is like the BCS!)

What do you all think?

No im not a Ridgeway fan in disguise, im a Riverdale fan just asking a question!

I posted earlier asking about this Ridgeway team and not too many people knew much about them. With them being undefeated (and with a tie to an out-of-state team) Should they not be ranked higher?

Im not sure about the teams they play or how dominant they are but if you were a coach and you was the only other undefeated team in 5A, wouldn't you want to be ranked higher. (I know rankings don't mean much but this is like the BCS!)

What do you all think?

No im not a Ridgeway fan in disguise, im a Riverdale fan just asking a question!

My son plays for Ridgeway,and this is the first year in 5-a,I think whoever does the rankings are looking at the region we are in,I think we have a good all around team,and Head coach John Cooley and his staff do a great job.Maybe when its all said and done more people will know of the Roadrunners.

Edited by jivy50

Saw game 1 and they impressed me. Decent line size and receivers and QB. Very fast at RB. QB strong arm slinger. A little problem with penalties but maybe just first game. Defense was the most impressive and can be what could carry them beyond first game of Region.

Cordova game may have been just one of those games. Cordova scored more than you would have thought.

Cordova has a highly touted running back that has been suspended for most of the season but is now back. Not sure if he played in the Ridgeway game or not, but he will be playing next week at Germantown, which as a Red Devil, scares me pretty bad. But Cordova will be a lot better than its record indicates with him playing.

One possible explanation (includes 1st round playoff opponent):

The record of their in-state opponents is: 38-52 -- .422 winning percentage.

By comparison against other highly ranked teams:

Riverdale: 53-57 -- .481 opponents winning percentage

Cookeville: 42-58 -- .420 oppononents winning percentage

Oak Ridge: 53-57 -- .481 opponents winning percentage

Dobyns Bennett: 66-44 -- .600 opponents winning percentage

Ooltewah: 60-50 -- .545 opponents winning percentage

Ravenwood: 50-60 -- .454 opponents winning percentage

Brentwood: 44-66 -- .400 opponents winning percentage

Germantown: 56-54 -- .509 opponents winning percentage

Just to name a few. It appears that they compare to Cookeville, who has received a lot of press for the good run in the playoffs last year and a solid senior class, and Brentwood, who has a long-term tradition for having good football teams.

I agree that Ridgeway may be overlooked, but they do have one of three worst opponents' winning percentage of these 9 teams. They'll just have to do it on the field, which everyone does.

My son plays for Ridgeway,and this is the first year in 5-a,I think whoever does the rankings are looking at the region we are in,I think we have a good all around team,and Head coach John Cooley and his staff do a great job.Maybe when its all said and done more people will know of the Roadrunners.

What`s the deal w/ Ridgeway? Weren`t they 3A not too long ago? Why are they growing so large so fast? Also, I talked to some Melrose fans last year and was told that Ridgeway had some kids that were zoned from Orangemound. Is this true? If so do you think it is fair with all that has gone on with private schools getting to accept students from out of their area and the multiplier that schools in memphis can get kids from out of zone

Thanks

Cordova has a highly touted running back that has been suspended for most of the season but is now back. Not sure if he played in the Ridgeway game or not, but he will be playing next week at Germantown, which as a Red Devil, scares me pretty bad. But Cordova will be a lot better than its record indicates with him playing.

He did play in the that game.he played in the last 3 games in which they lost to Bolton by maybe 3 and Ridgeway by 1 and they won the last game which he ran for like 275 yrds i think

What`s the deal w/ Ridgeway? Weren`t they 3A not too long ago? Why are they growing so large so fast? Also, I talked to some Melrose fans last year and was told that Ridgeway had some kids that were zoned from Orangemound. Is this true? If so do you think it is fair with all that has gone on with private schools getting to accept students from out of their area and the multiplier that schools in memphis can get kids from out of zone

Thanks

They were 3A in 2002 when they won state. Their enrollment has changed greatly over the past few years because of the opening of Ridgeway Middle School in the 2001-2002 school year. Since opening in 1972 Ridgeway had been a 7-12 school, limiting the size of 9-12 enrollment. When the middle school opened, the high school became 9-12. They now have about 1600 students....about 400 more than the school is built for.

As for Melrose fans saying Ridgeway has "Orange Mound" kids - I find that pretty funny! Guess they need more kids on the bench over there! I would be interested in how many kids on their team are actually zoned to Melrose.

Memphis City Schools does have an Open Enrollment policy in place. The key to the policy is there has to be room in the school. When Ridgeway was 7-12, open enrollment transfers were available, but that is not the case now. I am not sure that leaves a level playing ground across the state, but that is the way it is right now.

What do you all think?

Their region is the weaker of the 5A regions in the Memphis area but I think they would have done well in the other region, too, although it would have been tougher week in and week out.

Sometimes it is a good thing to be the underdog...the year they won state, they weren't even ranked in the Commercial Appeal Dandy Dozen until the season was over. Of course, they started the season with a 40-0 loss in the jamboree to Memphis East and a 10-7 loss to Briarcrest in Week 1! Strength of schedule hurts them in the rankings, I am sure. Non-region games were against Henry County, Horn Lake, and Rogers, AR.

They have a good group of kids that play well together and are usually well prepared for their opponents.

• 3 weeks later...

I think they would have done well in the other region, too, although it would have been tougher week in and week out.

Point proven with a 40-0 win over Wooddale in round 1 and a 19-7 win over Germantown in the quarterfinals.

Good luck this week against Ravenwood!