Powell Basketball

Phsbaseball13

Until Powell's coaches gain an understanding of exactly what they've got on the team that NO OTHER team has got in the way of speed, height, and strength, they aren't going to win against teams like Clinton, Oak Ridge, Halls, and probably even Karns. Furthermore, the lack of discipline shown by members of the team both on the court and off is ultimately going to cost them as well. When you talk about the team chemistry, they've got it, but as long as their coaches depend solely on Connors, Hargis, and Smith when they get in a bind, it going to look like a an offensive lineman playing quarterback in the playoffs. If your team is getting beat speed wise, isn't it smarter rather than trying to go head to head with a team who clearly has you whipped, to adjust your game? Powell doesn't do that. Once someone else gains control of the game, Powell will fold. Nonetheless, good luck to the Panthers this year.

I agree with you to some degree. Team chemistry and discipline are key factors to the Panthers success. I also agree those were the factors that led to the demise of the football team. I also agree that Powell has a dominate force in the paint. Will this player be willing to accept his role? Will the coaches utilize him?

Now it is yet to be seen how the basketball coaching staff will handle these potential problems. I don't consider Ogan one of the premier coaches around Knoxville but he is solid and his teams generally play hard. I look for him to do what is necessary to give his team the best chance to win. They have gotten off to a good start.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo catt2 I wouldn't worry about BIGCJONES sticking to football. He QUIT because he wasn't good enough.

Cameron Sharpe may be the best basketball player to ever come out of Halls High period.

reddevilfever,

I haven't seen Sharpe play but if he is better than former Red Devil standout Dickie Scates then he is a player. Scates probably played before your time but averaged close to 30 before there was a three point shot, and trust me he could fill it up from three point land. If any of you Panther fans don't remember him ask coach Ogan he played against him. By the way Ogan was perhaps the best player I ever played against in high school or college. He could hang 40 on you from inside or outside, and pull 10-15 rebounds in the process.

Edited by Big Daddy

reddevilfever,

I haven't seen Sharpe play but if he is better than former Red Devil standout Dickie Scates then he is a player. Scates probably played before your time but averaged close to 30 before there was a three point shot, and trust me he could fill it up from three point land. If any of you Panther fans don't remember him ask coach Ogan he played against him.

Big Daddy right you are. I was fortunate to watch Dickie Scates play several times. He was indeed a great player. If there had been a 3 point shot back in the day he would have averaged 40 +. I have also seen Sharp play. IMO Sharp has a slight edge on Scates. MAYBE? Hard to compare different players from different eras.

If you will remember Denton Jones was at Central at the same time Scates was at Halls and he too average about 30 per game. He also would have averaged 40 + with the 3.

Another thing to remember is these two played in cracker box gyms Gresham Middle and Halls Middle. So it was easier to defend.

People won't belive it but these two would be dominate players in todays game.

Edited by bigcatt2

I totally agree with ppl saying powell is going to have a pretty good little team this year, but they have to play some REALLY good teams. Clinton has a very good press and can shoot outside, but can also dish it inside to ford for a good play too. Usally Clintons offense takes the show, but after watching them play, their defense is going to really bother ppl. Good luck tonight powell, hope you have a deep bench b/c clinton does and their going to wear yall out.

Big Daddy right you are. I was fortunate to watch Dickie Scates play several times. He was indeed a great player. If there had been a 3 point shot back in the day he would have averaged 40 +. I have also seen Sharp play. IMO Sharp has a slight edge on Scates. MAYBE? Hard to compare different players from different eras.

If you will remember Denton Jones was at Central at the same time Scates was at Halls and he too average about 30 per game. He also would have averaged 40 + with the 3.

Another thing to remember is these two played in cracker box gyms Gresham Middle and Halls Middle. So it was easier to defend.

People won't belive it but these two would be dominate players in todays game.

bigcatt2 I did not play against Denton Jones but remember him well. I think the injury he suffered doing drills at a BB camp for Bobby Knight was something he never overcame. Knoxville had some outstanding BB players in that time frame. Leonard Hardin at Fulton was a good one as well.

I will try to see Sharp play. Is he a better shooter than Tyler Jones was?

Might as well throw my "two cents" in and try not to ruffle to many feathers.

Oak Ridge - This team should reign supreme. We will see how well Mr. Domsic reacts and plays when all the attention is on him.

Clinton - backcourt...enough said

Halls - Otherwise known as Cameron Sharp's team. If Cameron doesnt put up at least 60 - 75% of the points night in and night out, Halls will lose. And to answer someones question, he is not half the shooter Tyler Jones is. Is he a better penetrator, yes, but you will not see him pull up from 5 ft behind the arch and nail em down consistently. I still look for Halls "Cameron's Team" to finish 2nd behind OR.

Karns - If Hermosillo doesnt dominate, Karns will look at a 10 win season. Lets see if he can step out of Fersner's shadow.

Powell - I actually like this team but I think inconsistency gets them beat. I know everyone praises Hargis all the time, and yes I like the kid, but if Lee Smith was not there, he wouldnt get half the attention he gets. Lee Smith makes this kid better. I like the Conner kid, but I think he is a garbage man and doesnt get the ball enough. Throw him the ball too Hargis!

West - We shall see how Daddy's boy plays. Just put up the shots in bunches at these games.

Central - who cares

bigcatt2 I did not play against Denton Jones but remember him well. I think the injury he suffered doing drills at a BB camp for Bobby Knight was something he never overcame. Knoxville had some outstanding BB players in that time frame. Leonard Hardin at Fulton was a good one as well.

I will try to see Sharp play. Is he a better shooter than Tyler Jones was?

Cameron is not as good a shooter as Jones. Cameron does shoots better off the dribble than Jones. Jones was more cossitent and had better range.

Camerons biggest problem shooting is Free throws. For a Pt. G he is terrible. Saw him vs. Fulton and he was 0 for a possible 6 down the stretch.

Powell pulled out a great one in over time to win by 7 (I THNK DONT COUNT ON THAT I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE SCORE LOL SORRY)

It was a great game, got to chat with old coach smith for a while, and Powell looked good but tryed slowing it down way too much. They have the potential to be a great team this year and for the next few years.

I totally agree with ppl saying powell is going to have a pretty good little team this year, but they have to play some REALLY good teams. Clinton has a very good press and can shoot outside, but can also dish it inside to ford for a good play too. Usally Clintons offense takes the show, but after watching them play, their defense is going to really bother ppl. Good luck tonight powell, hope you have a deep bench b/c clinton does and their going to wear yall out.

Looks like Powell does have a "pretty good little team".

Maybe yall will "wear them out" next time.

Both teams look strong and should go pretty far in the regionals.

Might as well throw my "two cents" in and try not to ruffle to many feathers.

Halls - Otherwise known as Cameron Sharp's team. If Cameron doesnt put up at least 60 - 75% of the points night in and night out, Halls will lose. And to answer someones question, he is not half the shooter Tyler Jones is. Is he a better penetrator, yes, but you will not see him pull up from 5 ft behind the arch and nail em down consistently. I still look for Halls "Cameron's Team" to finish 2nd behind OR.

"Cameron's Team" beat Karns Tues. night with Cameron only scoring 7 points.

Powells lackluster performance on the football field may be a positve for the Powell Basketball team. The Panthers (especially the footballers) may feel like they have something to prove after a failing to live up to expectations on the gridiron. They may also have learned something about the importance of team unity and chemistry.

Powell has several things going for them that could make them a force to be reckoned with.

1. Lee Smith is the best post player in the District IF he wants to be. In the Clinton game it appears he stepped up and was a dominate force on the offensive end. He has to be be a dominate force on the boards and the defensive end as well.

2. Mc Gaha gives them a brute in the middle. Play defense rebound; any points he gets is gravy.

3. Conner is a very good inside out player. Adequate shooter and can post you up.

4. Hargis is a fine point guard. He is capable of taking care of the ball, understands his role, and can find the open man. Self control is the only question.

In my mind the question is the fifth starter and the bench. I haven't seen them yet so I am going on last yar and what other coaches have told me. Do they have enough outside shooting to keep teams honest? So Iam not really sure. Hope to see them play Friday or Tuesday.

Powell has the ingredients to challenge O.R. if they can stay focused on the TEAM!

Edited by bigcatt2

Can someone explain to me why Cameron Sharp's name keeps getting brought up in the POWELL BASKETBALL message board??? Could it be that he wishes he was a part of the Powell High School brotherhood?? You know he's a good player, but I certainly don't believe he is better than everyone in Knoxville. Someone needs to get some humility and take an attitude check. Besides from what I've heard, Clay Segars "ain't" bad either.