Collierville Vs Oak Ridge

mjuhb

Oak Ridge earned the chance to win State. They belonged in the game. They deserved it. How do I know? The TSSAA rules tell me so. If you disagree then try and change the rules but do not disparage the effort of these young ladies. I'm sure their hearts hurt enough today without your comments. I was at the game and was proud of their effort. Both teams did a super job.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt they played with heart, that goes without saying when you're in the state tournament. And no, I'm not saying I have any better method of determining winners than PKs... I just wish I could have seen Oak Ridge get to the final by... a higher margine, I guess?

But definitely a great team, no contest there.

A PK shootout is one of the most exciting things that happens in soccer. Having played, reffed, and coached for a number of years I always thought the most intense times that brought out the best in a team was during a shootout. I don't think anyone would challenge the talent and heart of the USA Women when they defeated China in the World Cup finals. I like the shootout and think that it is what makes soccer unique from other sports. I hope that it is never taken out of the game.

On the Oak Ridge and Collieville game, hats off to both teams for making it to the finals. Enjoy and celebrate your achievement. What you have accomplished is something that no one can take from you and you can cherish the memory of for the rest of your life. You can say to others that you have been to a place that many people try to get to but only a very special few get the chance to stand on the pitch as State Champs and Runner Up.

A PK shootout is one of the most exciting things that happens in soccer. Having played, reffed, and coached for a number of years I always thought the most intense times that brought out the best in a team was during a shootout. I don't think anyone would challenge the talent and heart of the USA Women when they defeated China in the World Cup finals. I like the shootout and think that it is what makes soccer unique from other sports. I hope that it is never taken out of the game.

On the Oak Ridge and Collieville game, hats off to both teams for making it to the finals. Enjoy and celebrate your achievement. What you have accomplished is something that no one can take from you and you can cherish the memory of for the rest of your life. You can say to others that you have been to a place that many people try to get to but only a very special few get the chance to stand on the pitch as State Champs and Runner Up.

A pk shoot out is one of the worst ways to end a soccer game. Its like a basket-ball overtime that is decided by playing one-on-one by members of each team.

While it is a hard way to lose, mjuhb is right. PK's come after 2 ten minute overtimes with 2 five minute sudden death periods. You gotta end it somehow. This is why you practice taking pk's all season.

the way that i have seen other teams take PK'S i don't think they practice them at all

A lot of teams look at them in hingsight, as in "Boy, I wish we had practiced them all season". I made that mistake once, and it cost my team a championship. Now, we spend 10 minutes at the end of a practice, a few times a week. It's good for the kickers and your keepers. I heard that the PK skills were a little lacking this season. I'll bet that team doesn't make that same mistake again.

It does appear that way, doesn't it?

As a former coach, a daily shootout practice was paramount as soon as the regular season was over. It's so important! You never know when you might be in a shootout, and you MUST practice. It gives the coach a chance to fine tune their top 10 shooter list, move the order around for strategy, and give advice on how to hit your PKs.

After playing 110 minutes of soccer, it's the only way to end the game.

By the way, I really felt like Oak Ridge played a much better game than Collierville. But I kept thinking, all the Lady Dragons need is one opportunity and one goal and they could pull the (so-called) upset. And that's just what they did. They had fewer scoring chances, but they made it pay off.

the way that i have seen other teams take PK'S i don't think they practice them at all

you know, though, that has to be the most intense pressure that some of these players have probably ever experienced. Can you imagine? Being 16 or 17 years old, being put in front of screaming fans, who are all of the sudden so eerily silent your heart is all you hear, and it is you and a goalie... yikes! Hats off to the girls... i could never do what you do in regulation game time, much less handle taking PK's or facing a PK... you guys will be able to handle ANYTHING that life hands you if you handled that pressure!

you know, though, that has to be the most intense pressure that some of these players have probably ever experienced. Can you imagine? Being 16 or 17 years old, being put in front of screaming fans, who are all of the sudden so eerily silent your heart is all you hear, and it is you and a goalie... yikes! Hats off to the girls... i could never do what you do in regulation game time, much less handle taking PK's or facing a PK... you guys will be able to handle ANYTHING that life hands you if you handled that pressure!

PK'S are the easiest part of of soccer look'em one way and fire the ball in the opposite top corner if you are 1 v 1 vs a guessing goalie you should be in heaven but if you got a goalie that has a quick reaction and is actually watching the ball then you might be in trouble but in a high pressure game a confident kid can hit a PK'S a nervous kid might kick it a 100 yards away

"PK'S are the easiest part of of soccer look'em one way and fire the ball in the opposite top corner"

Sorry, mjuhb. I agree with you on a lot of things, but I don't on this one. Yes, the technical aspect of hitting a shot from 12 yards out should be easy. It is the mental part that makes it one of the hardest things to do.

Edited by BigGExpress