Independence 35, Columbia 22

donathan5507

Congratulations to all involved with the Independence program. I posted this last night--it might have gotten deleted, but seriously...way to keep your heads up guys.

Independence punted after a weak first series. Central took over at about the 35 and went 3 and out. The snap went over their punter's head all the way to 2, where Indy recovered it. Indy kicked a field goal from there to get a 3-0 lead.

Columbia's next possession started out well, but a fumble near midfield was recovered by Isaac Baugh and returned to the 2, where Emory Martin punched it in on a QB sneak two plays later. The PAT failed...9-0 IHS

Columbia sustained a solid drive on their next possession, using the legs of Marcus Roan coupled with Justin Bullock's arm. Bullock made some good throws throughout the night, but a lot were dropped. Columbia ended up at 4th and 4 and threw it deep across the middle, where it was intercepted by Baugh. Independence went 3 and out and Columbia next possesion ended with an interception by Warren Berry.

The game kind of gets blurry to me from here, but I know that near halftime, Isaac Baugh leaped over Justin Witherspoon and ran the rest of the way for a 57 yard touchdown reception.

Witherspoon made up for that with a 2 yard touchdown catch as time expired in the half. Independence 17, Columbia 7.

Columbia made another solid drive to open the second half and appeared primed to get right back in the contest. Roan took the ball from about the 5 and ran a sweep to the left. It appeared as though he was going to sneak into the end zone when he was stood up at the goal line and the ball popped out and was recovered by I believe Chris Darnell.

Independence moved the ball a little, but ended up punting. Something tells me that Baugh made another pick, but I'm not sure. I know that Independence ended up with 2 TD runs by Ryan Consiglio of 1 and 9 yards. Consiglio finished with 24 carries for 80 yards.

Independence dominated this game. Dominic DiLoreto led the defense with 8 tackles. Across the board, the Eagles got solid pressure on Bullock. Isaac Baugh played tough in the secondary, also gathering up 89 yards on 4 catches. Chris Darnell came back and had an interception. Nice to see him playing again. Across the board, the Eagles played the best game they've ever played.

Congratulations guys, you deserve this.

They are in their first year of varsity competition and had to wait until the last game of the season to claim a victory.

All of you in South Willco, congratulations, put the game out on DVD as a keepsake-remember, you guys were the team who did it first-and your first region win to boot!.

Great, that's all we need-another team making a move in WillCo!

Independence will be a strong program to be reckoned with in the next few years, just like Ravenwood has become. Me likey! B)

i doubt they will be as strong as ravenwood got, but they will be pretty good, i'd expect to see them in the playoffs next year. but i feel bad for colombia seniors for losing their last varsity football game for the rest of their lives, expect for tremaine coger of course who will be playing for alabama in the SEC next year. I hope a few other seniors can find small colleges to play for. But back to the topic, Region 6 is going to be scary next year and even more the year after. Yikes.

i doubt they will be as strong as ravenwood got, but they will be pretty good, i'd expect to see them in the playoffs next year. but i feel bad for colombia seniors for losing their last varsity football game for the rest of their lives, expect for tremaine coger of course who will be playing for alabama in the SEC next year. I hope a few other seniors can find small colleges to play for. But back to the topic, Region 6 is going to be scary next year and even more the year after. Yikes.

Playoffs for Independence next year? I don't think so. Dickson Co. will be right there battling for the 4th playoff spot, as well as Centennial and Columbia. I'm not sold on them getting any higher than 6th in the region just yet.

columbia will be in the playoffs next year that upset win independence had opened their eyes. they have to work harder and not take any body lightly. independence played a good game columbia had way to many turnovers but anyway good game for independence. aww yeah columbia will remember this.!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'll keep you to that prediction!! 4 teams will be fighting for 1 spot in region 6-5A next year!

columbia will be in the playoffs next year that upset win independence had opened their eyes. they have to work harder and not take any body lightly. independence played a good game columbia had way to many turnovers but anyway good game for independence. aww yeah columbia will remember this.!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you said at the beginning of the season that Columbia would make the playoffs THIS year, and potentially win the Region?

I think the Lions found that the jump to 5A, particularly this region, was a lot tougher than they thought.

Independence would still be a longshot to make the playoffs next season, but after seeing what Columbia had this season, the Lions are even a longer shot. Northeast is the longest.

However, in the next few seasons, my prediction is that Independence will replace Ravenwood as the next "hot" team.

Congratulations to all involved with the Independence program. I posted this last night--it might have gotten deleted, but seriously...way to keep your heads up guys.

Independence punted after a weak first series. Central took over at about the 35 and went 3 and out. The snap went over their punter's head all the way to 2, where Indy recovered it. Indy kicked a field goal from there to get a 3-0 lead.

Columbia's next possession started out well, but a fumble near midfield was recovered by Isaac Baugh and returned to the 2, where Emory Martin punched it in on a QB sneak two plays later. The PAT failed...9-0 IHS

Columbia sustained a solid drive on their next possession, using the legs of Marcus Roan coupled with Justin Bullock's arm. Bullock made some good throws throughout the night, but a lot were dropped. Columbia ended up at 4th and 4 and threw it deep across the middle, where it was intercepted by Baugh. Independence went 3 and out and Columbia next possesion ended with an interception by Warren Berry.

The game kind of gets blurry to me from here, but I know that near halftime, Isaac Baugh leaped over Justin Witherspoon and ran the rest of the way for a 57 yard touchdown reception.

Witherspoon made up for that with a 2 yard touchdown catch as time expired in the half. Independence 17, Columbia 7.

Columbia made another solid drive to open the second half and appeared primed to get right back in the contest. Roan took the ball from about the 5 and ran a sweep to the left. It appeared as though he was going to sneak into the end zone when he was stood up at the goal line and the ball popped out and was recovered by I believe Chris Darnell.

Independence moved the ball a little, but ended up punting. Something tells me that Baugh made another pick, but I'm not sure. I know that Independence ended up with 2 TD runs by Ryan Consiglio of 1 and 9 yards. Consiglio finished with 24 carries for 80 yards.

Independence dominated this game. Dominic DiLoreto led the defense with 8 tackles. Across the board, the Eagles got solid pressure on Bullock. Isaac Baugh played tough in the secondary, also gathering up 89 yards on 4 catches. Chris Darnell came back and had an interception. Nice to see him playing again. Across the board, the Eagles played the best game they've ever played.

Congratulations guys, you deserve this.

donathan,

You had the stat sheet after the game. Good job posting it here. This team has been through a lot this year. Being young and then losing Tommy a month into the season, this team dealt with adversity the entire season. To their credit, they didn't quit. What a great way to end the season and begin preparing to get bigger and stronger for next year. Congrats Eagles for your first of many wins.

donathan,

You had the stat sheet after the game. Good job posting it here. This team has been through a lot this year. Being young and then losing Tommy a month into the season, this team dealt with adversity the entire season. To their credit, they didn't quit. What a great way to end the season and begin preparing to get bigger and stronger for next year. Congrats Eagles for your first of many wins.

Congrats to the Eagles!!

Tremendous job this year to the staff and players. I know that Coach Smith and his staff worked extra hard this year to keep the players going after the death of one of their players.

It looks like the team is beginning to turn the corner and truly played an exciting and fun game last Friday night.

Work on getting stronger and never forget the excitment and fun you had winning the first varsity game in school history. Take it with you throughout the coming season.

Best wishes to Coach Smith and his staff.