Notre Dame -Baylor- McCallie

bear cat brown

first things first. to bearcatbrown. Please don't use the term fisheaters to refer to notre dame. it is an obviously bigotted anticatholic term. secondly i find it very hard to believe that there is a four time medalist at 135 that actually wrestled for notre dame and has such a derogatory statement to make about coach mullin.

But if you were good enough to medal four times and didn't win, then i could see why you are a little jaded. fact is i am having trouble remembering anyone who fits that description that was good enough to win it all anyway. and i have been around the program a while, and i have known coach mullin my entire life.

Now, Notre Dame will most likely wrestle McCallie at Soddy this year. Notre Dame will compete in the same KCHS tourney as Baylor but they are not scheduled for a dual meet this year. There is no great mystery why notre dame hasn't scheduled Baylor. It is simply not in the team's best interest at this time. They have basically replaced Baylor with Soddy-Daisy. Scheduling is important to the development of the team. How would scheduling Baylor help Notre Dame get ready for the DI state tourney? It wouldn't.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first things first. to bearcatbrown. Please don't use the term fisheaters to refer to notre dame. it is an obviously bigotted anticatholic term. secondly i find it very hard to believe that there is a four time medalist at 135 that actually wrestled for notre dame and has such a derogatory statement to make about coach mullin.

But if you were good enough to medal four times and didn't win, then i could see why you are a little jaded. fact is i am having trouble remembering anyone who fits that description that was good enough to win it all anyway. and i have been around the program a while, and i have known coach mullin my entire life.

Now, Notre Dame will most likely wrestle McCallie at Soddy this year. Notre Dame will compete in the same KCHS tourney as Baylor but they are not scheduled for a dual meet this year. There is no great mystery why notre dame hasn't scheduled Baylor. It is simply not in the team's best interest at this time. They have basically replaced Baylor with Soddy-Daisy. Scheduling is important to the development of the team. How would scheduling Baylor help Notre Dame get ready for the DI state tourney? It wouldn't.

Mr Spider,

Had no intentions for my Fisheater statement to come across as a bigotted anticatholic statement, for I too am Catholic, so lighten up Francis. You would know what it takes to be called a great wrestler for ND, for I remember you up on top of the podium twice. But I have to think wrestling tough opponents such as Baylor would benefit ND. You hear of coaches across the country who put together as strong of a schedule as than can to get their teams ready for the post season. Look at Pat Summitt, seems to have worked for her. Plus I would think that as much success as ND has had in all athletics so far this year, that the alumni are giddy and want to see great matches. Happy alumni=Deep pockets

I hope nd has a great year and will be following them with much admiration of Mullins Lennon Voiles- the fab three

Mr.Brown

Spyder,

I can think of a very recent ND graduate who was a 4x medalist (including 135 his junior season I think) that might be the person posting if they are who they claim to be. I wouldn't presume to speak for him being good enough to win it all but the highest finish I remember him getting was 4th... I am sure you know who I refer to if you have followed the program.

There is no great mystery why notre dame hasn't scheduled Baylor. It is simply not in the team's best interest at this time. They have basically replaced Baylor with Soddy-Daisy. Scheduling is important to the development of the team. How would scheduling Baylor help Notre Dame get ready for the DI state tourney? It wouldn't.

To be the best you have to wrestle the best. Mat time against worthy openents or superior openents cann't be artifically created in the practice room.

How many years did Bradley have to listen to this same logic? Back in the early 90's, every antagonist and critic sang of the certain downfall of the Bears because they would not wrestle McCallie and later, Baylor. Yet, since 1994 they were able to reel off 13 or 14 Team State Championships, produce endless individual State Champions, 5 OW's, and 6 or 7 high school All-Americans. This is not to start up this same tired argument, but give the coaching staff at Notre Dame some respect and allow them to schedule as they see fit. They've earned that right.

How many years did Bradley have to listen to this same logic? Back in the early 90's, every antagonist and critic sang of the certain downfall of the Bears because they would not wrestle McCallie and later, Baylor. Yet, since 1994 they were able to reel off 13 or 14 Team State Championships, produce endless individual State Champions, 5 OW's, and 6 or 7 high school All-Americans. This is not to start up this same tired argument, but give the coaching staff at Notre Dame some respect and allow them to schedule as they see fit. They've earned that right.

They have the right to wrestle whoever they want. That is not earned. At the same time, people have the right to question the decisions. Same is true for Bradley.

Edited by mtnrasslin

mtn,

The right for a coach to determine his team's schedule isn't earned ??

How about the part where he decided to devote his life to teaching and coaching, majored in ed. in college, received his degree, landed a head coaching job at a prominent high school, and has spent the last twenty-some years staying late every day, taking kids home, going to JV tournaments that end at 1:00 AM, dealing with some irrational parents, planning practices, dealing with the new weight certification/bodyfat % mess, dealing with classroom problems, dealing with his own aging lower back, knees, etc. each day in practice, handing out discipline, missing his own families activities to help the young men from other families and being continually critiqued by everyone who doesn't agree with him?

Yes sir, he's earned it.

Red Boy,

Good post. Honest, clear and fair. I'm sure that a lot of people hate to see that go, if it indeed does. Different from earlier posts:

bhs78 insinuated that Coach Mullin is "padding his record" while he takes a sarcastic jab at Silverdales new program.

ND Saint informs us that Coach Mullin would "sell out his hardest working senior if it would make him look better".

And even you educated us that there is "NO excuse for them not wrestling Baylor and McCallie". Really? Have you talked to Coach Mullin personally and determined that he is out of his mind or just a coward? I mean, NO excuse doesn't leave much wiggle room.

I realize that this is a message board, complete with different opinions. It just seems to get so dang personal sometimes against a man who is just trying to spend his life's work trying to help kids, and doing one heck of a job at it.

This is sad. Notre Dame against Baylor/McCallie has resulted in many classics. Sad to see it end. Notre Dame felt it was in their best interest in going to the Division 1. Please, somebody tell me, does this mean that no kid will receive financial aid? If this is true, this is sad. I thought the Catholics tried to help those in need. Does this mean that a Catholic child that wants to attend Notre Dame, yet can't afford it, the church will not assist? If this is true, is this not ironic, Catholic Charities help so many, yet, they can't help their own.

Please tell me this is not true, however, the word on the street, it is. Just look at what they are doing in football. The past few years they have been bad, however, they are now competitive. Is this what the Catholic Church has turned to?

mtn,

The right for a coach to determine his team's schedule isn't earned ??

How about the part where he decided to devote his life to teaching and coaching, majored in ed. in college, received his degree, landed a head coaching job at a prominent high school, and has spent the last twenty-some years staying late every day, taking kids home, going to JV tournaments that end at 1:00 AM, dealing with some irrational parents, planning practices, dealing with the new weight certification/bodyfat % mess, dealing with classroom problems, dealing with his own aging lower back, knees, etc. each day in practice, handing out discipline, missing his own families activities to help the young men from other families and being continually critiqued by everyone who doesn't agree with him?

Yes sir, he's earned it.

No, the right to determine a team's schedule is not earned. All coaches have that right whether they do the things you list here or not. I certainly agree that these sacrifices, and the commitment to our kids that they represent, are some of the things that earn our respect , admiration, and appreciation.

My earlier point was simply that of course the ND, or Bradley, or any other staff, can wrestle whoever they want. At the same time, people affected by these decisions have a right to question and debate whether or not it is a good decision.

This is sad. Notre Dame against Baylor/McCallie has resulted in many classics. Sad to see it end. Notre Dame felt it was in their best interest in going to the Division 1. Please, somebody tell me, does this mean that no kid will receive financial aid? If this is true, this is sad. I thought the Catholics tried to help those in need. Does this mean that a Catholic child that wants to attend Notre Dame, yet can't afford it, the church will not assist? If this is true, is this not ironic, Catholic Charities help so many, yet, they can't help their own.

Please tell me this is not true, however, the word on the street, it is. Just look at what they are doing in football. The past few years they have been bad, however, they are now competitive. Is this what the Catholic Church has turned to?

okay this is getting ridiculous. one idiot is disrespectful of a coach who started out at notre dame 22 years ago and has dedicated his life to the school. he is an excellent coach and a fine man. he taught many boys lessons that they can use as men. he taught me most of what i know about wrestling and life. he has done these things with lesser talent than McCallie and Baylor for twenty years because his goal in life is not to beat Baylor and McCallie. It is to teach and coach youngsters to their highest potential. So do me a favor.

I repeat Notre Dame is going to wrestle McCallie. So lets confine the discussion to Baylor. It is not going to happen. How many of you think that the two teams match up well. They don't. I am willing to admit it. Sure, we have kids who can match up well, but those will probably wrestle their Baylor opponents @ KCHS.

The rest wouldn't benefit. Also think back over the last ten years and think of how many Baylor wrestlers had fathers who went to Notre Dame. . Maybe that is a contributing factor or not i don't know. If so many people who became successful

after graduating from Notre Dame didn't feel the need to send their kids to the more expensive schools, then Notre Dame could always compete with everyone.

Alas, that is their right, but it is also the right of Notre Dame to schedule who they want to schedule.

As far as Catholic Charities, hespinnedref, they are active and doing well, but they don't and never did provide a scholarship fund for Notre Dame. You know not of which you speak, and otherwise your remarks are too unintelligent to merit a reply.

I looked up this sight because i wanted a discussion about wrestling. But what i have seen on this thread is several loosetongued hasbeens, wannabes and neverwuz's running their mouths off about my brother, my church, and my beloved school. Quite constructive!

Go Irish

okay this is getting ridiculous. one idiot is disrespectful of a coach who started out at notre dame 22 years ago and has dedicated his life to the school. he is an excellent coach and a fine man. he taught many boys lessons that they can use as men. he taught me most of what i know about wrestling and life. he has done these things with lesser talent than McCallie and Baylor for twenty years because his goal in life is not to beat Baylor and McCallie. It is to teach and coach youngsters to their highest potential. So do me a favor.

I repeat Notre Dame is going to wrestle McCallie. So lets confine the discussion to Baylor. It is not going to happen. How many of you think that the two teams match up well. They don't. I am willing to admit it. Sure, we have kids who can match up well, but those will probably wrestle their Baylor opponents @ KCHS.

The rest wouldn't benefit. Also think back over the last ten years and think of how many Baylor wrestlers had fathers who went to Notre Dame. . Maybe that is a contributing factor or not i don't know. If so many people who became successful

after graduating from Notre Dame didn't feel the need to send their kids to the more expensive schools, then Notre Dame could always compete with everyone.

Alas, that is their right, but it is also the right of Notre Dame to schedule who they want to schedule.

As far as Catholic Charities, hespinnedref, they are active and doing well, but they don't and never did provide a scholarship fund for Notre Dame. You know not of which you speak, and otherwise your remarks are too unintelligent to merit a reply.

I looked up this sight because i wanted a discussion about wrestling. But what i have seen on this thread is several loosetongued hasbeens, wannabes and neverwuz's running their mouths off about my brother, my church, and my beloved school. Quite constructive!

Go Irish

Just two words for this post

" Amen Brother"