Toughest Tournaments

werazzlin

Well, judging from the following, you are not Herm, or the Vol. Perhaps snobhater?

Coach Connell,

You are a true champion and NOBODY should question your judgement. Your record speaks for itself.

He has proven over the years that his shuffling of weights has proved to be successful. When you enter a school and participate in an athletic competion, you are entrusting the wrestling coach to make the correct move. Had Coach Connell not put the wrestlers at these designated weight classes, McCallie would not have been in the running, much less, with a chance to win the tournament. Coach Connell did what he thought best for the team.

... tell us how many state champions you have produced and how many state championships you have won. I would put Coach Connell's record up against anybody who is questioning his motives, or integrety.

Keep up the great work at McCallie.

P.S. All of you attacking Coach Connell, how many times have you beaten him and how many times have you lost? The proof is in the pudding. Nobody in Tennessee can match his record.

By the way, How would your team match up with the following top teams at last year's G. P. West?

1. EVANSVILLE(In) MATER DEI 269.00

2. FRANKLIN 230.00

3. SODDY DAISY 198.50

4. CLARKSVILLE 128.50

5. RIDGEWAY 119.50

6. BRENTWOOD 108.50

7. RAVENWOOD 81.00

8. COOKEVILLE 80.00

9. OVERTON 79.50

10. MCCALLIE 74.50

Quick note to clarify: Connell probably held back 4-5 of his top hitters in this one and may have ended up in the top three with those points.

Mater Dei quit coming to the Ryan tourney after getting there rump handed to them many times. Mater Dei needs to learn there is more to wrestling than stalling out the match.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHSCHOACH,

Thanks for your response, however, I know different. You did a great job with the Clarksville team, my hope was to see you reap the rewards. As far as the Ryan tournament, if you were hunting the same weekend, you would be hunting the same weekend now. Why did you change from the Ryan tournament to a tournament north of Knoxville? If you were attending the tournament, something changed, you would come back. Case closed.

Jeff retired for his own reasons, I willl not get into. But, he is back because Clarksville is good again. You, Coach Sharrock should experience this. You are the one who coached these kids to this level. You should not have to pass this off. I could tell you more about what I know, but I won't. All I am saying is you should reap the benefits, not somebody else.

Mater Dei quit coming to the Ryan tourney after getting there rump handed to them many times. Mater Dei needs to learn there is more to wrestling than stalling out the match.

They dropped out to whip on Franklin (we're in agreement that stalling was probably true in this case too); this was a Franklin team that pulled out a little win or two in a couple of decent tournaments, inlcuding Ryan's.

I was one of the reasons Jeff choose CHS over Montgomery Central the first time and I was one of the reasons he returned. I had better seasons while he was away than what he came back to. I had my taste of being head coach and I'm perfectly content to work for Jeff. I asked him to return. In fact I gave it to him a year earlier than our plan. If I wanted to be a head coach I could have moved to any of the other schools this summer when they called. Jeff and I work great together and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The other tournament you mention is Greenville and we can only go every 4 years when Jan has 5 weekends. And yes I'll be hunkered down in my pit with greenheads and snows flying over head that weekend.